Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CIA invented the term ‘conspiracy theory’?

Eldorado

"Conspiracy theories have a long history, but the actual term “conspiracy theory” emerged much more recently.

"It was only a few decades ago that the term took on the derogatory connotations it has today, where to call someone a conspiracy theorist functions as an insult.

"So it may come as no surprise that there is even a conspiracy theory about the origins of the label.

"This conspiracy theory claims that the CIA invented the term in 1967 to disqualify those who questioned the official version of John F Kennedy’s assassination and doubted that his killer, Lee Harvey Oswald, had acted alone."

Full monty at the Conversation: Link

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Of course the cia created the term it aids them in the fact it supplies a blanket cover story to discredit those that expose the truth. 

• Like 3

"operation mockingbird"

Operation Mockingbird is an alleged large-scale program of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) that began in the early 1950s and attempted to manipulate news media for propaganda purposes. It funded student and cultural organizations and magazines as front organizations.

~

• Like 3

On 3/18/2020 at 9:14 AM, STAR LORD said:

Of course the cia created the term it aids them in the fact it supplies a blanket cover story to discredit those that expose the truth. 

What about all of the idiots who believe in BS conspiracy theories? 

I’m hopeful that you don’t subscribe to everything: Flat Earth, creationism, no moon landing, bigfoot, orbs etc. Or do you believe it all?

The term ‘conspiracy theory’ is an accurate and a reasonable term, no matter its origins. 

Something wild and unproven, yet believed by whoever. 

Edited by Timothy
Duplicate word.
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, STAR LORD said:

Why do they need to do that when they can just let you speak?  The term "conspiracy theory" existed decades before the CIA was even founded.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2020 at 3:14 PM, STAR LORD said:

What “truth” has a conspiridiot ever exposed? Flying rods? Annunaki? The queen is a really an antisemitic lizard from outer space?

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 11:29 PM, STAR LORD said:

Is that good enough

I'd, umm, /read/ the links you use. Half of the ones listed there are debunked in their own listing. The ones that are left are "Dalai Lama worked for the CIA" -- which fails to be a conspiracy -- and "tobacco really is bad for you."

If conspiridiots think those count, well, there's a reason they have little to no significance in the wider world...

--Jaylemurph

• 2 weeks later...

they did not have to invent it, just strongly associate it with something else,  nazis did not invent swastikas either, yet to almost entire world it means nazis

• 6 months later...

I do find it irritating that if someone even questions the official narrative they get labeled a loon. I lot of "conspiracy theories" are just plain fun to think about, but you can't even entertain some ideas without being labeled as a conspiracy theorist who needs to take their meds, haha. Gotta love buzzwords

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harlo said:

I do find it irritating that if someone even questions the official narrative they get labeled a loon. I lot of "conspiracy theories" are just plain fun to think about, but you can't even entertain some ideas without being labeled as a conspiracy theorist who needs to take their meds, haha. Gotta love buzzwords

Yeah, it’s almost like there are consequences to your thoughts and actions, and people might hold you accountable for them...

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Yeah, it’s almost like there are consequences to your thoughts and actions, and people might hold you accountable for them...

—Jaylemurph 

I didn't realise it was a crime to be sceptical

On 10/27/2020 at 10:48 AM, Harlo said:

I didn't realise it was a crime to be sceptical

You're confusing criticism with crime.

A simple search shows the term "conspiracy theory" predates the CIA.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually that is incorrect. The term actually can be traced back to 1870-1909 in certain literature.

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/86459

https://www.etymonline.com/word/conspiracy#etymonline_v_28701

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It gets really weird when they blur the lines between what is a conspiracy and what isn't. Lots of art and sci-fi works of art have also been labelled as conspiracy, when realistically it's a matter of self expression. I have seen paintings, songs, stories, and other harmless things become censored over controversy. I was never kicked off of any websites, but have chosen to leave much of social media partially due to making friends with trendy popular people that I drifted apart from and partially due to being labelled as a crazy person for typing out short stories that people took offense to. I put up disclaimers for liability saying that they were not real life depictions, symbolized nothing, and were solely for entertainment. I also put a creative commons license on them and copyrighted some of my released and unreleased stuff, but it never got big and i didnt really want it to... How crazy that simple hobbies can really matter that much to someone else when it is in no way affecting other peoples lives, I will never understand. I will still never know why people took so much offense to them, because I tried to talk to friends and family about it but they refused to talk to me about it... But hey those friends can keep going out to bars and sleeping with tons of guys and doing drugs. Count me out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smanthaonvaca said:

It gets really weird when they blur the lines between what is a conspiracy and what isn't. Lots of art and sci-fi works of art have also been labelled as conspiracy, when realistically it's a matter of self expression. I have seen paintings, songs, stories, and other harmless things become censored over controversy. I was never kicked off of any websites, but have chosen to leave much of social media partially due to making friends with trendy popular people that I drifted apart from and partially due to being labelled as a crazy person for typing out short stories that people took offense to. I put up disclaimers for liability saying that they were not real life depictions, symbolized nothing, and were solely for entertainment. I also put a creative commons license on them and copyrighted some of my released and unreleased stuff, but it never got big and i didnt really want it to... How crazy that simple hobbies can really matter that much to someone else when it is in no way affecting other peoples lives, I will never understand. I will still never know why people took so much offense to them, because I tried to talk to friends and family about it but they refused to talk to me about it... But hey those friends can keep going out to bars and sleeping with tons of guys and doing drugs. Count me out.

Sadly I have seen that with people over at reddit in the conspiracy forums . They will post a fictional story without a disclaimer passing it off as real and it gets the users riled up. Even about Covid. It then goes viral.

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 6:04 AM, Eldorado said:

"Conspiracy theories have a long history, but the actual term “conspiracy theory” emerged much more recently.

"It was only a few decades ago that the term took on the derogatory connotations it has today, where to call someone a conspiracy theorist functions as an insult.

"So it may come as no surprise that there is even a conspiracy theory about the origins of the label.

"This conspiracy theory claims that the CIA invented the term in 1967 to disqualify those who questioned the official version of John F Kennedy’s assassination and doubted that his killer, Lee Harvey Oswald, had acted alone."

Full monty at the Conversation: Link

"This thread is a Conspiracy Theory"

Small Yellow Smiley Face

Actually the terminology used to Identify the word Conspiracy Theory was originally just The Theory and this use started in the 1870's!!

https://hapgood.us/2018/12/24/the-first-use-of-the-term-conspiracy-theory-is-much-earlier-and-more-interesting-than-historians-have-thought/

The first modern usage of the term Conspiracy Theory was apparently used when President John F. Kennedy was Assassinated in 1964, which created the title of thread!!

According to another Conspiracy theory,  which claims the term was popularized by agents of the United States CIA in order to discredit conspiratorial believes, in particular the critics of the Warren Commission, by making them a target of ridicule. However this has never been proven to be true so, it appears that it is just a Conspiracy Theory itself and nothing more.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory   

So in retrospect think I the terminology may go back hundreds of years, however supporting documentation that I have been able to located doesnt prove that however the first dictionary use is in the Oxford English Dictionary from 1870's. but supporting documentation that I have been able to located doesnt prove that.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/conspiracy

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Even the KJV Bible uses the term conspiracy at least 10 times  https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/search.php?hs=1&q=+conspiracy

Yes the many old books mention the word Conspiracy, but it actually means a real Plot that was uncovered, not some crazy person running down the street with the sign that says The World is Ending Today!!!!!!!!:P But I like I said above I do think that the word Conspiracy Theory may have been used in some form or another possible going back hundreds of years, it just hasn't been proven yet!!!!!!

Take Care  

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes the many old books mention the word Conspiracy, but it actually means a real Plot that was uncovered, not some crazy person running down the street with the sign that says The World is Ending Today!!!!!!!!:P But I like I said above I do think that the word Conspiracy Theory may have been used in some form or another possible going back hundreds of years, it just hasn't been proven yet!!!!!!

Take Care  

Hey Manwon.  Hope you are well.

Conspiracy is “A” word.  Conspiracy Theory is a term.  

A theory is just that.  But when there are facts, and when used with the word Conspiracy becomes the term Exposed Conspiracy or Conspiracy Fact. 

And then one just Knows.  And does not care what anyone else “believes”.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Festina said:

Hey Manwon.  Hope you are well.

Conspiracy is “A” word.  Conspiracy Theory is a term.  

A theory is just that.  But when there are facts, and when used with the word Conspiracy becomes the term Exposed Conspiracy or Conspiracy Fact. 

And then one just Knows.  And does not care what anyone else “believes”.  

Hello and it great to hear from you, I haven't seen you post for awhile I hope you have been ok?:unsure:

Thanks for looking out for me and keeping straight, without having you around I have been making a lot of grammatical mistakes lately, of all the subjects that were part of my education English was the worst. Maybe it's because it wasn't my first language!:D

Anyway, I hope that I see more of you here on the forum, you have been missed!:yes:

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 10:45 PM, Harlo said:

I personally don't find it entertaining to look at any subject that is designed to spread misinformation. For me personnelly, there are to many important things to learn during ones life to learn. I don't have Time to spend to think about Propaganda which is also another word for a Conspiracy Theories, except to debunk them. 

Have a nice day

• 1 month later...

Now look at how 'conspiracy theory' is used for everything especially 9/11, but not when you understand why it happened, and that is explainable as non conspiracy when you look at DUBAI, America on steroids.  So to suggest one man in a cave was fed up with the decay of a capitalist country called America and destroyed 2 twin towers for it, when his own culture has blasted past America for decadence.

The real evil overtook America bigtime.  America was just being used by the gloabalists. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Now look at how 'conspiracy theory' is used for everything especially 9/11, but not when you understand why it happened, and that is explainable as non conspiracy when you look at DUBAI, America on steroids.  So to suggest one man in a cave was fed up with the decay of a capitalist country called America and destroyed 2 twin towers for it, when his own culture has blasted past America for decadence.

The real evil overtook America bigtime.  America was just being used by the gloabalists. 

:no:

• Like 1