Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earthquake in Utah: 5.7 magnitude.

Tiggs

A 5.7-magnitude earthquake shook Salt Lake City, Utah, early Wednesday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake struck about 4 miles northeast of Magna, Utah, which is 15 miles west of Salt Lake City, just after 7 a.m. local time. At least 20 aftershocks followed, ranging from magnitude 2.5 to 3.9, the survey reported.

Source: NBC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Yuma Arizona had one over the weekend about the same magnitude.

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, Tiggs said:

A 5.7-magnitude earthquake shook Salt Lake City, Utah, early Wednesday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

It needs one to level it......

.....and I mean completely. :yes:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

It needs one to level it......

.....and I mean completely. :yes:

I can understand your attitude, but really, all those people, and some of them aren't even Mormon.   Not to mention all the people doing geneology research would have no where to look up the records since the Mormons own all of them.

Edited by Desertrat56

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not to mention all the people doing geneology research would have no where to look up the records since the Mormons own all of them.

The biggest problem with the LDS Database is they don't check anything and it's rife with false info. They're better off using public and military records.

Fake Indians submit fake info to their base than pull it out as "evidence". :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I can understand your attitude, but really, all those people, and some of them aren't even Mormon. 

I visited that city twice because I had to, not because I wanted to and I don't care.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

The biggest problem with the LDS Database is they don't check anything and it's rife with false info. They're better off using public and military records.

Fake Indians submit fake info to their base than pull it out as "evidence". :rolleyes: 

I did find it interesting that my dad could not find anything on his grandfather before 1928 from research at Salt Lake City, but recently a person contacted me on 23AndMe and she had the scoop on my grandfather from his birth to death.  She did research starting with a common great great grandfather we have and was able to tell me all kinds of things.  I knew she had the right info because she knew my grandmother's maiden name and the name of all the children, (my dad and his siblings).

I never thought about the Mormon database being incorrect or even how they got their information.

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I never thought about the Mormon database being incorrect or even how they got their information.

They try to copy the Quakers in many ways, including that Database, which works by submission....but the Quakers only keep records of their own and check everything. 

I had my Quaker and English ancestry jammed down my throat because they were "founding families" of the Quakers and part of the English Border and Philadelphia gentry. 

Personally I can't understand why people give a damn. People looking for their Quaker and Lenape ancestors drove me nuts when I was a Quarter Historian. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

They try to copy the Quakers in many ways, including that Database, which works by submission....but the Quakers only keep records of their own and check everything. 

I had my Quaker and English ancestry jammed down my throat because they were "founding families" of the Quakers and part of the English Border and Philadelphia gentry. 

Personally I can't understand why people give a damn. People looking for their Quaker and Lenape ancestors drove me nuts when I was a Quarter Historian. 

My dad was a big geneology nut.  I have most of his notes and haven't even looked at them.  Maybe when I retire.  He grew up hearing stories that his father's family was Irish from the Isle of Mann.  Right there is a problem because people on the Isle of Mann will take exception to being called Irish, and the next one was that one of his grandfathers immigrated from the Isle of Mann after the family had moved there from Scottland, but got a job in a coal mine in Michigan that was run by the Irish so he had to be Irish.  He married a german woman but even though every one knew her name, everyone thought she came from the Isle of Mann with my great grandfather.  So, a lot of family myth was cleared up, including some cousins who were adopted in the midwest when aunties had no husband to explain the children.  He had a lot of fun finding new relatives.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

He had a lot of fun finding new relatives.

My older stepsister was a "war baby" who was taken from her family and given away. She had a blast tracking her real family down too.

• Like 1

I will begin publishing some interesting graphics, very soon about earthquakes in the Western U.S.

I see a volcanic sunset, where the glowing magma replaces the sunlight.  Source 1-11-2020

Edited by Raptor Witness