Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The return of the digital watch

Eldorado

"Long before the Apple watch came on the scene, the first digital-display electronic timepiece ever made was the U.S.-made Pulsar P1, which the Hamilton Watch Company debuted in 1972.

"Previewed on The Tonight Show two years before that — where a skeptical Johnny Carson declared, “This will never put Mickey Mouse out of business” — it launched in a limited edition of 400 at a price tag of $2,100 (which then cost more than the average family car).

"It was made of solid gold and powered by two batteries. The red LED time display worked only when the wearer pushed a button, as having the light-emitting diodes on continuously would have quickly drained the batteries."

Full article at Hollywood Reporter: Link

And at T3 mag: Link

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was thinking recently that, with low-power LED's available now, and better battery technology, these Old Skool watches could make a comeback.

• Like 2

Sure Chief... 

[00.00:55]

~

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, acute said:

I was thinking recently that, with low-power LED's available now, and better battery technology, these Old Skool watches could make a comeback.

But why would anyone need a watch now that almost everyone has a pocket computer (smart phone)?

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But why would anyone need a watch now that almost everyone has a pocket computer (smart phone)?

Why would anyone want vinyl records when they have mp3 ? And yet.. they do ? 

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Why would anyone want vinyl records when they have mp3 ? And yet.. they do ? 

Right, that is just as crazy to me, maybe more crazy.  I am so glad to not have to hear the scritch of the needle on the vinyl amidst the poor sound of the music.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Right, that is just as crazy to me, maybe more crazy.  I am so glad to not have to hear the scritch of the needle on the vinyl amidst the poor sound of the music.

You have no soul ! :P 

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

You have no soul ! :P 

I think I am too literal to enjoy a bad recording when I can enjoy live music OR a good digital recording.  Music is the language of the soul, why accept substandard transmissions?

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

A watch is just an accessory these days, I suppose, but it comes in useful.

It's easier to glance at my watch, and sometimes I leave my phone on charge when I go out for a short time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, acute said:

A watch is just an accessory these days, I suppose, but it comes in useful.

It's easier to glance at my watch, and sometimes I leave my phone on charge when I go out for a short time.

I thought I was the onlyl one who could leave the house without the pocket computer (phone).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because I like my Glashütte Nomos Orion 38 sapphire crystal back manual wristwatch.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a lifelong prank me and a couple of my pals used to pull with our watches, we set our watches to different time ahead, mine was an hour ahead, they were half, one and a half and two hours ahead, we ourselves knows our own settings, so when people asks us for the time they get a pot luck of answers, or we just show them and let them look... 

We'll know the correct time if we wanted to give the right time when required, then we just got tired of it and set our time together as three hours ahead, I remember that one time I was at an arcade and this fella sitting between me and my pal glanced at our watches and dashed out in the middle of the game he was playing, I guess he thought he was late.... 

:lol:

~

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Reminds me of a lifelong prank me and a couple of my pals used to pull with our watches, we set our watches to different time ahead, mine was an hour ahead, they were half, one and a half and two hours ahead, we ourselves knows our own settings, so when people asks us for the time they get a pot luck of answers, or we just show them and let them look... 

We'll know the correct time if we wanted to give the right time when required, then we just got tired of it and set our time together as three hours ahead, I remember that one time I was at an arcade and this fella sitting between me and my pal glanced at our watches and dashed out in the middle of the game he was playing, I guess he thought he was late.... 

:lol:

~

You are an imp of malicious chaos ! 

• Haha 2

Just now, RoofGardener said:

You are an imp of malicious chaos ! 

Wild oats and all... 

~

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because good watches are wearable works of art that can potentially last generations. I have a Gshock as a work watch (practically indestructible, it's seen and been in everything) but I also have a couple higher end pieces that I simply enjoy owning and appreciate the craftsmanship. Plus, I'll get to pass them down to my kids one day. And, if anything, they increase in value. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 3

On 3/19/2020 at 2:53 PM, Desertrat56 said:

I agree but at the same time I get it. MP3 files are typically clear, without imperfection. So they don't bring that warm fuzzy feeling that someone had listening to the same piece of music all those years ago.
It's the same with synthesizers, back in the day the unit was filled with physical parts. They cost a lot of money to produce and repair. Eventually we realised that we could recreate a lot of aspects using circuit boards.

From a manufacturing perspective it was great. The units became a lot cheaper to produce and opened up a new part of the market to people who previously couldn't afford them.
However: They lack a certain amount of charm, grit and warmth. They've very clean and clinical sounding.
So I kind of see why some folks want to hold on to that stuff.

• Like 2