Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Isis; worshipped from Egypt to England

Eldorado

"Archaeologists working in London in 1912 might have been surprised. When they discovered a first-century A.D. Roman jug bearing the inscription “Londini ad fanum Isidis—London, next door to the Temple of Isis.”

"Best known as an Egyptian goddess, finding signs of Isis worship so far from North Africa might seem odd. But this goddess proved popular enough to transcend her original Egyptian centers of worship and expand to all corners of the known world.

"Isis was loved by ancient Egyptians for her fierce devotion to her husband Osiris and her son Horus. Her cult first began to spread around the Mediterranean following the establishment of Hellenist rule in Egypt in the fourth century B.C. Then as Roman power expanded, worship of Isis went even farther afield."

Full article at Nat Geo: Link

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Piney
16 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"Best known as an Egyptian goddess, finding signs of Isis worship so far from North Africa might seem odd. But this goddess proved popular enough to transcend her original Egyptian centers of worship and expand to all corners of the known world.

Isis was so well loved in the Roman Empire her statues with baby Osirius were rededicated to the Virgin Mary and Jesus.

Modern Virgin Mary statues are still portrayed to look like the Roman version of her, including the crown of stars and blue robes.  

I think there was a shrine to her near Hadrian's Wall, but @Mellon Man  would know better than I do. 

• Like 9

Desertrat56

My cousin is one of the founders of a small pharmaceutical company that they called Isis, for the goddess of healing, but a few years ago they had to change the name because of the acronym I.S.I.S. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Mellon Man
On 3/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, Piney said:

I think there was a shrine to her near Hadrian's Wall.

Could you be referring to some Romano-British deity shrine, similar in characteristic to the above mentioned deity? Evidence of many different deity worship is well established, as an example, the mysterious mithras cult had a temple near the wall. Haven't heard of a shrine dedicated to the deity in question, near Hadrian's Wall though. However, we have evidence of individuals from Egypt and previously stationed in Egypt being there, so the worship of the deity in question is entirely possible. It is well established the worship of deity took place in other areas of Romano-Britain. 

Edited by Mellon Man
  • Like 1

Piney
1 minute ago, Mellon Man said:

Could you be referring to some Romano-British deity shrine, similar in characteristic to the above mentioned deity? Evidence of many different deity worship is well establish, as an example, the mysterious mithras cult had a temple near the wall. Haven't heard of a shrine dedicated to the deity in question, near Hadrian's Wall. However, we have evidence of individuals from Egypt and previously stationed in Egypt being there, so the worship of the deity in question is entirely be possible. It is well established the worship of deity took place in other areas of Romano-Britain. 

I was actually thinking about a shrine to a nymph/goddess who's name escapes me now.

.....and it isn't Andraste.....

• Like 1

Alchopwn
On 3/21/2020 at 3:26 AM, Desertrat56 said:

My cousin is one of the founders of a small pharmaceutical company that they called Isis, for the goddess of healing, but a few years ago they had to change the name because of the acronym I.S.I.S. 

The Adult Swim Cartoon show "Archer" famously had the same problem.  I still think it is funny that Muslim terrorists managed to name their organisation with letters that spell the name of a Pagan Goddess.  There is a trace of irony involved I feel.

Desertrat56
1 minute ago, Alchopwn said:

The Adult Swim Cartoon show "Archer" famously had the same problem.  I still think it is funny that Muslim terrorists managed to name their organisation with letters that spell the name of a Pagan Goddess.  There is a trace of irony involved I feel.

Well, the thing is they didn't, that was the english translation and the media made it into an acronym.

• Thanks 1

Alchopwn
Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Well, the thing is they didn't, that was the english translation and the media made it into an acronym.

Well it is an awesome translation.  Who ever did that is some sort of evil genius. ;)

• Haha 1