Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
19_Kilo

Exploding Head Syndrome

19_Kilo

Having experienced this occurrences several times in the past...But not for a couple years now...I was very relieved to discover it's a legit thing. And that it's not nearly as dangerous or harmful as it sounds. LOL. Please share your experiences if you've ever experienced it.

https://www.livescience.com/45532-exploding-head-syndrome-sleep-disorder.html

• Like 4

Not A Rockstar

Yeah, I went through it for a few nights consecutively, until I read about it and found out what it was all about. 

For me, just knowing what it is generally is enough for me to shut it off. 

Stress sucks.

• Like 3

drakonwick

Interesting! At least it's not as macabre as the odd Spontaneous Human Combustion. 

• Like 3

and then
1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Yeah, I went through it for a few nights consecutively, until I read about it and found out what it was all about. 

For me, just knowing what it is generally is enough for me to shut it off. 

Stress sucks.

My now deceased father-in-law had it occur to him regularly.  He described it as 3 loud knocks that always awakened him.  It's good to know he wasn't imagining things.  

• Like 2

HandsomeGorilla

Mine was always a door being slammed or large pile of books hitting the floor. Usually when I'm stressed out and lacking sleep. When this happens, I am not surprised to get an episode of sleep paralysis when I do sleep. 

• Like 1

19_Kilo
10 hours ago, and then said:

My now deceased father-in-law had it occur to him regularly.  He described it as 3 loud knocks that always awakened him.  It's good to know he wasn't imagining things.  

I had the same type of EHS as your father in law: three loud knocks, like someone was pounding on a door or wall with their fist. I'd wake up and couldn't believe nobody else heard it. It was amazingly real, and even after learning it was not, is still difficult to fathom how my own head could manufacture such a sound.

Bendy Demon

It only happened to me a couple of times; one was when I had this dream and there was this series of loud, booming explosions and quite loud to teh point that even in my dream I was covering my ears.

Happened again a short time (maybe weeks later) but not quite as loud then I do not recall it occurring again after that.

'Walt' E. Kurtz

Funny that this title reminded me of the scene in the movie scanners. 

• Like 1

Bendy Demon
13 hours ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Funny that this title reminded me of the scene in the movie scanners. 

I seen that movie..the scene with the guys head exploding or eyes bursting creeped and grossed me out.

Never wanna see that again...

• Haha 1

Jujo-jo
On 3/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, Tuco's Gas said:

Having experienced this occurrences several times in the past...But not for a couple years now...I was very relieved to discover it's a legit thing. And that it's not nearly as dangerous or harmful as it sounds. LOL. Please share your experiences if you've ever experienced it.

https://www.livescience.com/45532-exploding-head-syndrome-sleep-disorder.html

Yeah I can relate, just last week I didn't realize I had drifted off to sleep and heard an internal very loud bang that woke me. I can say its probably only happened maybe 4 or 5 times throughout my life, that I can remember tho.

Very interesting, I never knew there was a study on it or that they've gave it a name... Thanks!