Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Soul borrowing?

Rpncnz

When I was in Japan a few years ago I had the most intense and confusing dream state for two whole weeks that it led me to believe I was going psychotic and I even cut my holiday short by a month. It’s not soul retrieval and I have found the term for it a couple of years ago but can’t remember it for the life of me. So, here goes.

Every night when I would go to sleep I would have just one prolonged “dream” for the entire night, I wasn’t myself but other people, Japanese people and I spoke fluent Japanese even though I can barely string a sentence together while awake. I felt as though they had unfinished business on this earth and I was allowing them to somehow do it through my consciousness. Every time I would wake up I was exhausted, like I hadn’t slept at all and the taste of dirt/death in my mouth was absolutely unbearable. This happened every night for a full two weeks, sort of like astral projection but I wasn’t myself. I was a different person each night or sometimes one person for a couple of nights and I know I was helping them somehow finish things that they needed to finish.

Any help on the term for this would be much appreciated as I’m still coming to terms with it and trying to piece this all together.

Thank you

• Thanks 2

@Rpncnz  Very interesting. Of course the inside-the-box explanation would be crazy dreams brought on by your psychological state at the time.

Considering outside-the-box possibilities perhaps at some level as a foreigner you gave a particular opportunity for earthbound souls to semi-possess you during sleep to allow them to go through some unfinished needs. Soul Borrowing (or really Astral Possession is perhaps a better term I've heard) is something you may want to research. They also seem to tie-in more with empathic people from my small familiarity with the subject.

• Thanks 1

Did your dietary habits change while in Japan?  I love Japanese food but I stay away from the really bizarre stuff,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 10:04 AM, Rpncnz said:

Any help on the term for this would be much appreciated as I’m still coming to terms with it and trying to piece this all together.

Some seafood eaten by the Japanese has a variety of toxins if not prepared properly which affect Westerners even more so because they have no resistance.

Sounds like you got a dose of one of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is that the only time it’s happed? I had a dream a number of years ago, I was walking between two buildings. I got rushed by a few guys and was hit in the head by a skate board, then black. Later that year found out one of my cousin was jumped and robbed by being knocked out from behind with a skateboard. He’s out in bc and haven’t talked to him since I was 17. Only found out about it because his brother came out for a visit. You could have just been watching thru someone else’s eyes, or just a dream.

Edited by Rollo
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 1:02 AM, Festina said:

Did your dietary habits change while in Japan?  I love Japanese food but I stay away from the really bizarre stuff,  

Yeah they did massively, here in Australia our food is pretty plain and understanding their culture I ate everything put in front of me. I’ve studied drug and molecular design so know about neurotoxins and I never ate puffer fish or anything overly strange but due to my three trips there raw horse meat thinly sliced(Sakura meat) in a light soy dressing is still one of my favourite to this day.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, Rollo said:

Is that the only time it’s happed? I had a dream a number of years ago, I was walking between two buildings. I got rushed by a few guys and was hit in the head by a skate board, then black. Later that year found out one of my cousin was jumped and robbed by being knocked out from behind with a skateboard. He’s out in bc and haven’t talked to him since I was 17. Only found out about it because his brother came out for a visit. You could have just been watching thru someone else’s eyes, or just a dream.

Yep only time it’s ever occurred, if it happened for one night or two I would have written it off as an oddity but because it scared me to the extent that I thought I was going psychotic and hadn’t slept in two weeks I think it’s something out-of-the-box. I believe that the more conscious beings in a small area who believe in something literally shifts the atomic makeup of our consciousness which is why I think it occurred there. This happened during my third trip to Japan which was about a year or 9 months after the tsunami, the first trip I went on three years earlier was the only time I’ve ever experienced sleep paralysis which also scared me immensely but it wasn’t nightly like this and it didn’t come with a taste in my mouth or feeling like I hadn’t even slept.

On 3/23/2020 at 3:31 AM, Piney said:

Some seafood eaten by the Japanese has a variety of toxins if not prepared properly which affect Westerners even more so because they have no resistance.

Sounds like you got a dose of one of them. 

I know quite a lot about chemical compounds and toxins having studied them at University and I considered this but there aren’t any that have a half-life even close to 14+ days which is why I’ve discredited this possibility, also I never ate any overly “exotic” seafood as I only enjoy shellfish, I ate plenty of other weird and wonderful things but nothing like puffer fish or anything similar.

3 minutes ago, Rpncnz said:

I know quite a lot about chemical compounds and toxins having studied them at University and I considered this but there aren’t any that have a half-life even close to 14+ days which is why I’ve discredited this possibility, also I never ate any overly “exotic” seafood as I only enjoy shellfish, I ate plenty of other weird and wonderful things but nothing like puffer fish or anything similar.

Are you saying a toxic bacterial infection wouldn't last as long, or longer that 14 days? Or wouldn't come from shellfish? 

Is your university accredited? Are you even attending one? Because most people would give a name. 

16 minutes ago, Rpncnz said:

Yeah they did massively, here in Australia our food is pretty plain and understanding their culture I ate everything put in front of me. I’ve studied drug and molecular design so know about neurotoxins and I never ate puffer fish or anything overly strange but due to my three trips there raw horse meat thinly sliced(Sakura meat) in a light soy dressing is still one of my favourite to this day.

Sakura is "cherry blossom flavoring".  Not horse meat. 

Edited by Piney

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Are you saying a toxic bacterial infection wouldn't last as long, or longer that 14 days? Or wouldn't come from shellfish? 

Is your university accredited? Are you even attending one? Because most people would give a name. 

I’m saying that the only seafood I ate there were prawns and octopus in takoyaki, which I have eaten countless times before and I only ate at nice places as my best friend had been living there for several years prior so I wasn’t a random gaijin going into any random restaurant. Also a toxic bacterial infection would come with other obvious physical and psychological effects which I never had.

Yes, it’s accredited. It’s only an undergrad but I have a degree in science (drug and molecular design) from the university of Adelaide majoring in chemistry and I’m currently getting everything in order to pursue a masters in botany at trinity college, Dublin and then my dream PhD is ethnobotany from the university of Leeds.

Ingesting a random neurotoxin that would cause an infection would come with other obvious effects and ingesting a random neurotoxin that wouldnt cause an infection wouldn’t have a duration of over two weeks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Sakura is "cherry blossom flavoring".  Not horse meat. 

Wrong. The name comes from the colour of the meat. A simple google search proves this.

Just now, Rpncnz said:

PhD is ethnobotany from the university of Leeds.

You might want to dig around in Harvard's collection. They did a a few large studies on traditional medicine. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rpncnz said:

Wrong. The name comes from the colour of the meat. A simple google search proves this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sakura+meaning+japanese&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS801US801&oq=sakura+meaning&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.11671j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

On 3/22/2020 at 2:46 AM, papageorge1 said:

@Rpncnz  Very interesting. Of course the inside-the-box explanation would be crazy dreams brought on by your psychological state at the time.

Considering outside-the-box possibilities perhaps at some level as a foreigner you gave a particular opportunity for earthbound souls to semi-possess you during sleep to allow them to go through some unfinished needs. Soul Borrowing (or really Astral Possession is perhaps a better term I've heard) is something you may want to research. They also seem to tie-in more with empathic people from my small familiarity with the subject.

This is exactly what I’m thinking, it was only shortly after the tsunami and I was in Nagoya city which isn’t as populated as Tokyo but still has a very condensed population with a long belief in earth bound souls and the “supernatural” especially compared to Australia and in particular where I come from in the Adelaide Hills which has a very small population for the area of land and Australia being one of the least religious or spiritual populations out of all the western nations. I believe in science through and through but I also believe thoughts can manifest reality and that the condensation of a belief in an area makes the metaphysical beliefs of that population more possible. I can only imagine how many earth bound souls had unfinished business to attend to at that time with the tsunami and earthquakes. Being quite empathic and not being aware of any cultural customs to protect myself in a sense might have acted as a magnet to so many of them which is why I think it happened nightly for such a long duration. Your thoughts @papageorge1 ?

3 hours ago, Rpncnz said:

I have always found Japanese food particularly clean.  And unlike the Chinese the Japanese are sticklers about the perfection and cleanliness of their food.

Perhaps the shock of clean food triggered something in your being and the taste of dirt in your mouth was a response to this. Just an idea.

Cool dreams, lucky you! I wouldn’t worry about them.  I’ve read many NDEs and one of the common characteristics is that we are all connected and are one entity. E pluribus unum or E unum pluribus?  Or Both?

Hope  this helps.

:D

Edited by Festina

2 hours ago, Rpncnz said:

This is exactly what I’m thinking, it was only shortly after the tsunami and I was in Nagoya city which isn’t as populated as Tokyo but still has a very condensed population with a long belief in earth bound souls and the “supernatural” especially compared to Australia and in particular where I come from in the Adelaide Hills which has a very small population for the area of land and Australia being one of the least religious or spiritual populations out of all the western nations. I believe in science through and through but I also believe thoughts can manifest reality and that the condensation of a belief in an area makes the metaphysical beliefs of that population more possible. I can only imagine how many earth bound souls had unfinished business to attend to at that time with the tsunami and earthquakes. Being quite empathic and not being aware of any cultural customs to protect myself in a sense might have acted as a magnet to so many of them which is why I think it happened nightly for such a long duration. Your thoughts @papageorge1 ?

Oh, not long after the tsunami stuff you say. I have heard other paranormal stories from Japan of so many people dying with so much unfinished business. There was a phenomena of many cases of taxi drivers that would pick up passengers in a devastated area and the passenger would appear confused AND DISAPPEAR FROM THE BACK SEAT. Yes, my leading thought is that confused earthbound souls were semi-possessing your astral body in your sleep state to work out unfinished business. And I wonder if at a level beyond your conscious recollection that you allowed this (as in trying to help them?). The last part is just a thought on my part.

5 hours ago, Rpncnz said:

Yep only time it’s ever occurred, if it happened for one night or two I would have written it off as an oddity but because it scared me to the extent that I thought I was going psychotic and hadn’t slept in two weeks I think it’s something out-of-the-box. I believe that the more conscious beings in a small area who believe in something literally shifts the atomic makeup of our consciousness which is why I think it occurred there. This happened during my third trip to Japan which was about a year or 9 months after the tsunami, the first trip I went on three years earlier was the only time I’ve ever experienced sleep paralysis which also scared me immensely but it wasn’t nightly like this and it didn’t come with a taste in my mouth or feeling like I hadn’t even slept.

You should have written it off as an oddity and left it at that for the sake of your own sanity. Few people who are into science 'through and through' go off on such bizarre tangents, especially when there are logical explanations.  It was a recurring dream, nothing more, and whilst it felt like one prolonged dream each evening, such a dream state is impossible. The taste of 'dirt and death' in your mouth is due to dysgeusia (an impaired sense of taste that can be caused by a number of different factors). You let your fear and paranormal beliefs get the best of you and now you're jumping feet first into absurd nonsense about soul borrowing and astral possession. You had a few rough nights, that's it, that's all. Out of the box thinking is one thing, out of this world thinking, is another.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rpncnz said:

I don't think it was dietary either.  I think you were unfortunately displaying symptoms of a dissociative disorder.  I hope I'm wrong.