Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can Anti-Malarial Drug Treat Corona Virus?

OverSword

Yesterday (March 19), President Donald Trump boasted about the "very encouraging results" of two drugs called chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as treatments for the novel coronavirus, claiming that the medications have "gone through the approval process" and that "we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately."

But the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) swiftly issued a statement to clarify that, no, these drugs are not approved as treatments for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. Both drugs are approved to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, but must still be assessed in clinical trials before being declared a safe and effective COVID-19 treatment. Doctors in the U.S. have wide latitude to prescribe drugs "off-label," meaning for conditions beyond their initial FDA approval.

"We understand and recognize the urgency with which we are all seeking prevention and treatment options for COVID-19. FDA staff are working expeditiously on that front," FDA commissioner Dr. Stephen M. Hahn said in the statement. "We also must ensure these products are effective; otherwise we risk treating patients with a product that might not work when they could have pursued other, more appropriate, treatments."

So could drugs for malaria and lupus actually cripple the novel coronavirus? 

Read the rest here https://www.livescience.com/chloroquine-coronavirus-treatment.html

• Like 4

Wonder If quinin will help :-P

• Like 1

its believed this is what China and S.Korea have been using / trialling for the last few weeks with some success. if true it could be a god send, as its cheap and easy to manufacturer on a large scale. globally available drug. widespread human use since 1950's against malaria. Any one who's been to Africa back in the day will have taken Malarone as an anti-malarial which seemed to keep the common cold at bay as well.

surely if chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine had worked in China and S.Korea we'd have heard of its success by now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a background in chemistry, and medicine, and I wouldn’t hesitate to roll the dice on this, if I was sick with this virus, or any virus for that matter.

It’s basic biochemistry, unlike so many other medicines, which we don’t understand the mechanism for.

If you get bored on lecture #35, just skip to the last half.

Other helpful ideas, are adequate sleep is crucial, as well as activated vitamin D, which means you’ll need some sunlight on your skin.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

We also must ensure these products are effective; otherwise we risk treating patients with a product that might not work when they could have pursued other, more appropriate, treatments."

Feckin' lawyers are going to be the death of our nation.  Trump doesn't CLAIM to be a doctor or an expert.  He's a leader and is trying to encourage the people of this nation that we can get through this, that we will win.  He isn't demanding that anyone take an experimental drug.  He's saying he wants it available to be TRIED by those who are willing.  It's no different than his recent effort to allow terminally ill patients the right to try experimental drugs.  If you're D Y I N G ... what the hell more is there to lose?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

It is supposed to reduce the severity of symptoms by 40%.

The proteins on the surface of Corona Virus allow it to invade the hosts lung, heart, stomach, and testicle tissue (obviously, if male). The reason why two thirds of deaths are men is because women dont have the right genital cells for it to take over.

Once inside a cell the virus hi-jacks mechanisms allowing it to replicate itself. The host cell then bursts (when full) releasing virus copies into the blood stream of the victim. Most of the deaths are due to a person not getting to a ventilator in time to support their bodies oxygen levels while the body fights the virus off. Or, they already have damaged lungs and heart from smoking, obesity, or alcoholism. So the added strain of the virus pushes them over the edge.

Anti-malaria and other drugs have been used across the world trying to reduce the severity of the disease. Anti-inflammatory drugs reduce the patients immune system going overboard when removing compromised lung and heart cells. Anybody that has ever cut themselves has noticed the tissue around it goes red. Thats the immune system not simply replacing damaged cells but clearing out cells around the injury site too. Anti-inflammatory drugs prevent that overkill. In Corona Virus patients the anti-inflammatory drugs prevent overkill of otherwise healthy lung and heart cells surrounding the compromised ones.

I still maintain the view that hysteria is resulting in symptoms in patients that dont have the virus, or an increased severity of symptoms in those that do. Its like a negative placebo effect but it kills. It will also be resulting in an over-excitation of patients immune response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

it works for some, if you use the actual drug,  but a fish tank cleaner with similar ingredients is deadly

Well if you ingest fish tank cleaner then you can have an award

3030.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, aztek said:

it's already taken in this category, lol

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-dies-woman-left-critical-112927146.html

but it is trump's fault

Believe me, if Trump tells people they must stay hydrated, SOMEBODY will run to the nearest toilet and gulp down several gallons.

Then they will blame Trump because they don't feel well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Believe me, if Trump tells people they must stay hydrated, SOMEBODY will run to the nearest toilet and gulp down several gallons.

Then they will blame Trump because they don't feel well.

But it is his fault when his zombies Darwin themselves, since he's not a leader of a political movement, he's some sort of anti-messiah for his death cult. His blathering is taken seriously by his voluntary brain dead followers, he knows that, so the responsibility is his. 

Regarding chloroquine and any other drug attempted on COVID patients: 

It's not the wonder cure. It's not very encouraging. It won't stop people dropping like flies, especially once the intensive care capacity becomes not nearly enough. 

If it was very encouraging, it would save people in China (who told you about certain effect anti-malarics achieve) and Italy. 

There is no wonder cure so far and there is no vaccine so far. The more you spread it, the more dead you'll have. It's significantly more contagious than flu. And it won't be only old and sick people, anyone can catch it and anyone who caught it could end up with complications.  

By the way, I see Putin's walking around in full hazmat suit. It will be riot to see Trump wobble around in one :lol:  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

It's not the wonder cure.

Nobody said cure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Nobody said cure.

That Trump person presented it like it's the wonder cure and he's the one who found it. 

If I was truly evil, I'd sit back and enjoy the view, because believing there's treatment that cures COVID just like that will only add to already irresponsible, chaotic response to COVID in your country.  

Edit to point out one more time: Do you seriously think China and Italy would deny such simple, available therapy to their infected, if it's so 'very encouraging'?

Edited by Helen of Annoy

1 hour ago, aztek said:

it works for some, if you use the actual drug,  but a fish tank cleaner with similar ingredients is deadly

I read about him. It's all Trump's fault. I reminded them of Lysol and bleach. If you're just going to be stupid......

It's not without warnings though.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/chloroquine-dangers-coronavirus

https://www.propublica.org/article/lupus-patients-cant-get-crucial-medication-after-president-trump-pushes-unproven-coronavirus-treatment

and , of course, CNN. They discuss the fish tank cleaner too.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/chloroquine-hydroxycholoroquine-drugs-explained/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Unless someone can produce a transcript of Trump saying it is a cure I call BS and it's time for them to put up or shut up. I'm not doing anyone else's homework and they can remain ignorant.

They can try the Tide Pod challenge, along with all the other idiots, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I don't even know why Trump brought it up.  It's untested and could lead to false hope. (and stupid people eating aquarium cleaner)

Let the doctors try it out and see if it works before hyping it up- that way you don't get egg on your face. 

Edited by Gromdor
autocorrect
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

That Trump person presented it like it's the wonder cure and he's the one who found it. 

If I was truly evil, I'd sit back and enjoy the view, because believing there's treatment that cures COVID just like that will only add to already irresponsible, chaotic response to COVID in your country.  

Edit to point out one more time: Do you seriously think China and Italy would deny such simple, available therapy to their infected, if it's so 'very encouraging'?

Did you read the article in post 1? According to scientists, not trump, there is a good chance that this will be effective treatment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, OverSword said:

Did you read the article in post 1? According to scientists, not trump, there is a good chance that this will be effective treatment. 

Well we need it.  It looks like we as a nation are on the route to failing the "flatten the curve" goal that was set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Odds are...no. I posted a link in another thread too. Scientists were saying it long before Trump did.

But...duh...Trump...tupid...duh...:wacko:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

I'm sure she has her own government.

• Like 2

Husband and wife poison themselves trying to self-medicate with chloroquineLiveScience 3-25-2020

An Arizona man is dead and his wife is hospitalized after both of them self-medicated with chloroquine phosphate, a chemical used to treat fish for parasites, in an effort to ward off the novel coronavirus.

I heard they took an enormous dose of around 5,000 mg, which is several times the prescription dose.

A Very sad ... mistake.

Edited by Raptor Witness

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Well we need it.  It looks like we as a nation are on the route to failing the "flatten the curve" goal that was set.

No surprise there. 'Murica always insists on being number 1 at the worst things.

New York will begin using hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine, and zithromax on Tuesday. Coumo is saying he's heard good things about the drugs from scientists. We'll see. Long article but informative.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/clinical-trials-coronavirus-treatments-begin-york/story?id=69777957

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

Did you read my posts? 

Yes, quinine is used in COVID treatment, in combination with other drugs, but only and strictly by doctors, after they had insight in complete medical history of a particular patient, since quinine is not without possibly serious, even deadly side-effects. 

And did you see that Trump of yours, blathering quinine will make your numbers of the infected go down very fast? 

You can invent excuses all day long, but the obvious fact remains that your country has inappropriate and chaotic response to COVID, worsened by that person's inability to understand the gravity of the COVID situation and his chronic need to bombastically announce stuff that won't happen the way he imagines it should.