Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Equinox highlights the wonders of the Sphinx

UM-Bot

Sounds to me like Hawass is just trying to remain in the news. He always liked the attention more then actually preserving the antiquities. Or so it seemed to me.

• Like 2

The rock could have been big enough to carve it to face any direction, or it was chiseled out because of it's orientation to the sun. 

• Like 1

I find it amusing that the creators of the pyramids and the Sphinx are always referred to as the ancients Egyptians. I doubt it.

5 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Egyptian archaeologist Zahi Hawass has dismissed the idea that the Sphinx was carved from a stationary rock.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/335734/equinox-highlights-the-wonders-of-the-sphinx

Hawass must be getting senile. The sedimentary layers of the Mokattam and Maadi formations have long ago been traced and documented across the Giza Plateau. The sedimentary layers composing the Sphinx are quite consistent with the geological findings:

https://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/giza.htm

Edit: Highlight.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

I find it amusing that the creators of the pyramids and the Sphinx are always referred to as the ancients Egyptians. I doubt it.

And your doubts would be based upon...?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Hawass must be getting senile. The sedimentary layers of the Mokattam and Maadi formations have long ago been traced and documented across the Giza Plateau. The sedimentary layers composing the Sphinx are quite consistent with the geological findings:

https://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/giza.htm

Edit: Highlight.

You shouldn't take some reporter's word for that. I find no such claim in any other story that mentions equinox, sphinx and Hawass.

What Hawass is actually proposing is that the sphinx location is not accidental. As far as I can tell, he's never said it wasn't carved (at its core) from the native bedrock.

He proposes that it was an integral part of Khafre's plan. That is different than what has been thought in the past.

Harte

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harte said:

You shouldn't take some reporter's word for that. I find no such claim in any other story that mentions equinox, sphinx and Hawass.

What Hawass is actually proposing is that the sphinx location is not accidental. As far as I can tell, he's never said it wasn't carved (at its core) from the native bedrock.

He proposes that it was an integral part of Khafre's plan. That is different than what has been thought in the past.

Harte

Ahh. Our fine quality journalists in action again. Reporting just isn't what it used to be.

• Thanks 1