Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Tuco's Gas

A voice of reason on Covid panic in US...

41 posts in this topic

Not A Rockstar

I am not seeing panic out here in the rurals.

Back when I was a cop, have a hurricane blow through and wipe the power for 3 days - people all either surprise you by shining or they start beating their wife and losing their minds. 

This is the same thing, just with the addition of the media whipping up more fear for clicks. 

It is what it is and so are we.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

and then
1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I am not seeing panic out here in the rurals.

Back when I was a cop, have a hurricane blow through and wipe the power for 3 days - people all either surprise you by shining or they start beating their wife and losing their minds. 

This is the same thing, just with the addition of the media whipping up more fear for clicks. 

It is what it is and so are we.

I think we are going to see many in media and those who support them, use every death as a cudgel to beat Trump with.  It won't matter what he does or how much he accomplishes, they will constantly beat a drum of hate and vitriol against him.  I pray that he overcomes this and is re-elected in spite of all they will do.  They are shameless to the point of being disgusting and if we see deaths like we've seen in Italy, they might well find themselves in the sights of some VERY ANGRY Americans...

• Like 2

Peter B
5 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Just to clarify, you're relying on an article written on 9 March (that's 16 days ago) which quotes a doctor's post on his Facebook page.

According to Wikipedia the mortality rate from the disease is 3% to 4%, yet the doctor himself says: "The fact is the virus itself will not likely do much harm when it arrives."

Seriously, a mortality rate of 3-4% counts as "not likely to do much harm"?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Liquid Gardens
4 hours ago, Peter B said:

According to Wikipedia the mortality rate from the disease is 3% to 4%, yet the doctor himself says: "The fact is the virus itself will not likely do much harm when it arrives."

Seriously, a mortality rate of 3-4% counts as "not likely to do much harm"?

Exactly, and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of other infectious disease experts saying the exact opposite.  I'm not really seeing much panic though, I don't consider silly stockpiling of toilet paper to quite reach that level. But yea, 'The Media' is the problem... :rolleyes: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Doug1029

If you're a New York resident, there is probably good reason to panic.  They are predicting that they will run out of hospital space by the end of next week.  If you get sick after that, you're on your own.

Down here in Oklahoma, the shutdown seems to be working.  Today is Day 8 and we still have only three cases in the county, none in the city and none on campus.  We are behind the curve, though.  We probably have much worse to come.

Doug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

tmcom
13 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Yes, that is what l am seeing, stupid people buying what the media carry's on about day after day, and politicians showing us fatality rates for AU, like it is something out of a movie.

We are going to have hospital lines, no getting around that, but is it worth closing down almost everything to reduce that line as much as is possible?

Thanks to our ape-**** pollies, we are going to have 2million umemployed, with some getting depressed, and some doing themselves in, (stockmarket is only starting) while seeing a movie, or eating out of getting a coffee, cake and paper is considered to be murdering people, as well as the f...ing insane 25k fine for not staying at home for 2 weeks.

And he wants to make it worse, by closing bookshops, etc down, when people are stressed, depressed, broke, (50% of their super may be gone) and annoyed.

I would say people are going to mass roit if this f....wit doesn't lay off, and most likely storm places with the huge toilet paper stocks.

:o

LV-426
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tmcom said:

Yes, that is what l am seeing, stupid people buying what the media carry's on about day after day

Do you honestly think the world's political elite are just reacting to media hype?

I mean, seriously... businessman Trump - notorious for disdaining "fake news" - wiping out all his nation's economic growth after "Making America Great Again™." Based on what... a whim?

Mr Taciturn himself, Putin, today showing his lack of concern...

a43b68b0-8be7-4668-a600-a280650c770e.jpg

Source: BBC Live feed, Putin dons protective gear for hospital visit

Some people need to get their heads out of the proverbial sand.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Doug1029
  1 hour ago, tmcom said:

Yes, that is what l am seeing, stupid people buying what the media carry's on about day after day

You'll probably have the opportunity to bet your life on that within a few weeks.

Doug

Alchopwn
4 hours ago, tmcom said:

Yes, that is what l am seeing, stupid people buying what the media carry's on about day after day, and politicians showing us fatality rates for AU, like it is something out of a movie.

Given that Australia has nearly 2500 cases and only 9 deaths, you are beating the 2% death rate by a good margin.  You're more like 0.3%.  That's only x3 worse than the yearly flu.  You should feel pretty good about that actually.  I mean, I just read about a nursing home in Spain full of dead people that's a complete horror show.  Spain has managed to get over 42,000 people infected and has over 2000 deaths already.  Then there's Italy...

• Like 2

LV-426
14 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I mean, I just read about a nursing home in Spain full of dead people that's a complete horror show.  Spain has managed to get over 42,000 people infected and has over 2000 deaths already.  Then there's Italy...

It's actually worse than that :(

The latest figures released are 47,610 confirmed cases , 3,434 deaths... 738 deaths in the last 24 hours alone:

Coronavirus: Spain’s death toll surpasses China’s

Coronavirus: Spain turns ice rink into morgue as death toll continues to rise

• Sad 3

Tatetopa
14 hours ago, and then said:

They are shameless to the point of being disgusting and if we see deaths like we've seen in Italy, they might well find themselves in the sights of some VERY ANGRY Americans...

I don't follow your logic here.   If a lot of people do die, how is that a reflection on reporting?.  If the media is whipping up a panic, then ignore them and go to work, go to restaurants, party at the beach, do whatever you want.

If you are in a risk group like I am, being old. I ignore them too,  I take my own precautions to keep myself safe and try to keep other people I interact with as well. I try to stay productive, refrain from hoarding and check in on my friends.

Trump is every bit as popular as he was two years ago so I don't think this threatens his election.  So what is the beef?  The media still don't like him?  What has changed?  Lou Dobbs still worships him with North Korean level  sycophancy, you still love him so what has changed?

• Like 5

and then
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

If the media is whipping up a panic, then ignore them and go to work, go to restaurants, party at the beach, do whatever you want.

Nice try.  I, like he, never said this was some hoax.  I'm talking about the hate mongers BLAMING HIM for a FECKKING  VIRUS.  It's a bunch of twisted, infantile Bool Sheet.  Does it make you less afraid if you can cast blame on someone you already loathe?  

Tatetopa
3 hours ago, and then said:

Nice try.  I, like he, never said this was some hoax.  I'm talking about the hate mongers BLAMING HIM for a FECKKING  VIRUS.  It's a bunch of twisted, infantile Bool Sheet.  Does it make you less afraid if you can cast blame on someone you already loathe?  

Nobody is blaming Trump for the virus andthen.  Some, not all of the media are criticizing his actions though.  He has done a couple of good things for sure.  Blocking traffic from China was a good move. 

No need to be afraid, the state governors seem to have it well in hand.

You are blaming the feckking Chinese for this virus I believe.   Norw if the first doctor in China had nor been suppressed and later died  or the Chinese had a free press, it might have gone another way but then again maybe not.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gromdor

Trump is not responsible for the virus.  He is responsible for America's response to it.

History will just check and see if our leadership met the important goals during this time.

1) Testing, isolating, and eradication:  Big Failure

2) "Flattening the Curve" so that our system is not overwhelmed:  This is where we are currently at.  Not looking good.

3) Mitigating the damage so that we at least won't go in the history books for having the highest infection and death rates:  The nihilist's view after everything else failed.

• Thanks 4

tmcom
8 hours ago, Doug1029 said:
  1 hour ago, tmcom said:

You'll probably have the opportunity to bet your life on that within a few weeks.

Doug

Bet my life, well your climate emergency, tipping point has done well, no mention of it on tv, apart from a few buried articles! How can it be an emergency if no one gives a f....k?

As for me l have spent the last week, enjoying a coffe, cake and newspaper, taking reasonable precautions, and relaxing. And now due to over the top ape-****, reasoning, coffee shops, and restaurants are shut, apart from takeaway. But there are loopholes, so l am still enjoying a cofee, cake and paper.

There have been no deaths in my state, and even with the one chance in 30,000, (or whatever it is now) l still have no better chance of getting this if a C-19 case was in the same room as l was, than the common flu.

I never get the flu unless l am overly stressed, so l am trying to stay calm, but thanks to f...wit it is now a lot harder to accomplish.

Let me know when you go mad! :P

5 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Given that Australia has nearly 2500 cases and only 9 deaths, you are beating the 2% death rate by a good margin.  You're more like 0.3%.  That's only x3 worse than the yearly flu.  You should feel pretty good about that actually.  I mean, I just read about a nursing home in Spain full of dead people that's a complete horror show.  Spain has managed to get over 42,000 people infected and has over 2000 deaths already.  Then there's Italy...

And my state has had NO DEATHS, but our dimwitted premier just keeps closing down everything in sight.

I can see the tv ad's now, "Lost your job, standing in a SS line, have someone behind you coughing, seeing half of your investments gone, don't refrain, we will close down the cinema's, coffee shops, restaurants and and bookstores, and tell you to stay at home, that will perk you right up"!

:rolleyes:

LV-426
25 minutes ago, tmcom said:

And my state has had NO DEATHS, but our dimwitted premier just keeps closing down everything in sight.

Honestly, I'd be beside myself with joy if the few naysayers such as yourself proved the majority wrong this time.

Keep this in mind though...

Italy also had zero deaths before the 21st of February. As of yesterday, they've had 7,503.

• Like 5

tmcom
5 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Honestly, I'd be beside myself with joy if the few naysayers such as yourself proved the majority wrong this time.

Keep this in mind though...

Italy also had zero deaths before the 21st of February. As of yesterday, they've had 7,503.

And Italy has a predominantly older age bracket, so that argument is gone.

North Korea is flat-lining at present, or is on top of it, as is China, so where is the ape-**** response of millions dead?

We Vic, AU, have had two deaths, both old, and l agree with reasonable restrictions for containment, but closing down everything, well, l expect in a few months with children running feral in their homes while they are trying to get work done, and massive unemployment, because our ape-**** premier is on a bender, and seeing their investments disappear, suicide, domestic volience and depression will be more of a worry.

And our premier also believes that if l sit in the middle of no where with everyone 10 metres away, and relax by having a takeaway coffee, cake and a newspaper, l am killing the elderly!

Yes, exactly, our premier is the worst we have had, and is nuts.

But l have to admit if he was sitting a few metres from me, there would be a death!

• Sad 1

Alchopwn
10 hours ago, tmcom said:

Wrong attitude.  Sorry.   I assume you are in Sth Australia?  What they are doing is mainly for the best.  Just look at how far out of control Spain and Italy have become, and how quickly.  Take this seriously FFS.

4 hours ago, tmcom said:

We Vic, AU, have had two deaths, both old, and l agree with reasonable restrictions for containment, but closing down everything, well, l expect in a few months with children running feral in their homes while they are trying to get work done, and massive unemployment, because our ape-**** premier is on a bender, and seeing their investments disappear, suicide, domestic volience and depression will be more of a worry.

And our premier also believes that if l sit in the middle of no where with everyone 10 metres away, and relax by having a takeaway coffee, cake and a newspaper, l am killing the elderly!

Same goes for you buddy.  People in other parts of the world that aren't containing it are dying like flies.  We are about to get the first serious hit in the USA in the next week or so, and we are badly led by a goon who has done us nothing but sabotage by cutting the nuts off the CDC.  Only the preppers are ready.  Better too much than too little.  So you lose some money and go a little stir crazy. That is what an Alaskan winter is like, and it isn't the end of the world, but mass deaths?  That is what we are trying to avoid.  So gripe if you must, but understand why it is happening.  The threat is real.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

tmcom
51 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Wrong attitude.  Sorry.   I assume you are in Sth Australia?  What they are doing is mainly for the best.  Just look at how far out of control Spain and Italy have become, and how quickly.  Take this seriously FFS.

Same goes for you buddy.  People in other parts of the world that aren't containing it are dying like flies.  We are about to get the first serious hit in the USA in the next week or so, and we are badly led by a goon who has done us nothing but sabotage by cutting the nuts off the CDC.  Only the preppers are ready.  Better too much than too little.  So you lose some money and go a little stir crazy. That is what an Alaskan winter is like, and it isn't the end of the world, but mass deaths?  That is what we are trying to avoid.  So gripe if you must, but understand why it is happening.  The threat is real.

Well, you quoted me twice so not a good start, Italy has a dominately older population than AU, and they typically kiss each other on both cheeks when saying hello, so Italy cannot be compared with us! I can guess what FFS, means, so FFS to you to!

Sure they are, and in AU, most deaths are related to aussies going overseas and coming here, with one from AU, and most are over the age of 70.

You seemed to forget that l said it was real,and reasonable precautions are needed, reasonable, not over the top, and not destroy a country.

But just like the other emergency which has been pushed aside, so l guess it wasn't, you want this to be as bad as it can be, beats me why?

B)

LV-426
4 hours ago, tmcom said:

North Korea is flat-lining at present, or is on top of it, as is China, so where is the ape-**** response of millions dead?

But l have to admit if he was sitting a few metres from me, there would be a death!

I honestly don't know how to respond to you.

I mean, first of all the lack of humilty when talking about thousands of dead is disturbing.

Are the elderly more at risk. Of course they are. If the entire population was sent out on a forced five mile run, they'd be the most at risk. They are our friends and family though, the people we love:

Grandchildren's plea after grandpa dies of coronavirus

What death toll would you consider acceptable to protect economies? Economies which will collapse anyway as national health services are decimated. Bear in mind Italy's health service is being crushed WHILE under lockdown. What state do you think it would be in without the measures?

Also, age isn't a guarantee for anyone. Deaths in the last few days over here include a 37 year old diplomat, an 18 year old (with underlying conditions) and a 21 year old girl with NO underlying conditions:

Coronavirus: Scottish diplomat Steven Dick dies in Hungary

Coronavirus claims Britain's youngest victim at 18

Chloe Middleton: Coronavirus victim, 21, 'had no health issues'

Economies will recover, dead people won't.

• Thanks 2

DingoLingo
22 hours ago, tmcom said:

We are going to have hospital lines, no getting around that, but is it worth closing down almost everything to reduce that line as much as is possible?

Thanks to our ape-**** pollies, we are going to have 2million umemployed, with some getting depressed, and some doing themselves in, (stockmarket is only starting) while seeing a movie, or eating out of getting a coffee, cake and paper is considered to be murdering people, as well as the f...ing insane 25k fine for not staying at home for 2 weeks.

And he wants to make it worse, by closing bookshops, etc down, when people are stressed, depressed, broke, (50% of their super may be gone) and annoyed.

I would say people are going to mass roit if this f....wit doesn't lay off, and most likely storm places with the huge toilet paper stocks.

heh wrong tm.. 

people will riot if he does not lock down australia soon.. 

Peter B
12 hours ago, tmcom said:

Bet my life, well your climate emergency, tipping point has done well, no mention of it on tv, apart from a few buried articles! How can it be an emergency if no one gives a f....k?

As for me l have spent the last week, enjoying a coffe, cake and newspaper, taking reasonable precautions, and relaxing. And now due to over the top ape-****, reasoning, coffee shops, and restaurants are shut, apart from takeaway. But there are loopholes, so l am still enjoying a cofee, cake and paper.

There have been no deaths in my state, and even with the one chance in 30,000, (or whatever it is now) l still have no better chance of getting this if a C-19 case was in the same room as l was, than the common flu.

I never get the flu unless l am overly stressed, so l am trying to stay calm, but thanks to f...wit it is now a lot harder to accomplish.

Let me know when you go mad! :P

I can see the tv ad's now, "Lost your job, standing in a SS line, have someone behind you coughing, seeing half of your investments gone, don't refrain, we will close down the cinema's, coffee shops, restaurants and and bookstores, and tell you to stay at home, that will perk you right up"!

Has it occurred to you that perhaps one reason your state has had no deaths is because of what the premier has ordered?

It's sort of like complaining about being made to wear a seatbelt when so few people die in car crashes.

ETA: Have a look at this page, in particular the chart showing the number of confirmed cases by state - the one with the log scale on the vertical axis: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-cases-data-reveals-how-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704

Then tell me when the number of cases is just going to stop.

Edited by Peter B

Peter B
5 hours ago, tmcom said:

ICYMI China is on top of the virus because of a lockdown tighter than a fish's backside. Seriously, what you're complaining about having to cope with at the moment is nothing compared to what the Chinese government imposed on its own citizens in Wuhan. Or hadn't you heard about the people whose self-isolation was imposed by having their front doors welded shut?

• Like 1

tmcom
1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

I honestly don't know how to respond to you.

I mean, first of all the lack of humilty when talking about thousands of dead is disturbing.

Are the elderly more at risk. Of course they are. If the entire population was sent out on a forced five mile run, they'd be the most at risk. They are our friends and family though, the people we love:

And how many die of the common flu each year, 9 million in China alone, and a few thousand per year here, it is a fact of life, that a lot of people die of that each year.

1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

Grandchildren's plea after grandpa dies of coronavirus

What death toll would you consider acceptable to protect economies? Economies which will collapse anyway as national health services are decimated. Bear in mind Italy's health service is being crushed WHILE under lockdown. What state do you think it would be in without the measures?

Also, age isn't a guarantee for anyone. Deaths in the last few days over here include a 37 year old diplomat, an 18 year old (with underlying conditions) and a 21 year old girl with NO underlying conditions:

Coronavirus: Scottish diplomat Steven Dick dies in Hungary

Coronavirus claims Britain's youngest victim at 18

Chloe Middleton: Coronavirus victim, 21, 'had no health issues'

Economies will recover, dead people won't.

And how many commited suicide after 1929, quite a few. Sure investors crap on about it will come back, but if you have lost everything, and need the income, then your income is gone for months or years. Mass suicides if the ASX drops by 100% or more, (a real possibilty) is real, when people who are in their 50's or older lose the lot, then a cliff face looks good. If we keep this up for months, and the drop happens, then the deaths by their own hand will outway C=19 deaths. Maybe it will sink in now?

1 hour ago, DingoLingo said:

heh wrong tm.. 

people will riot if he does not lock down australia soon.. 

Lol, thanks for the laugh, if he locked up the enderly, and people from overseas, and left the rest alone, then there would be no roits, but take away their chief forms or stress release or entertainment, and most of their investments, and their job, and possibly their career, then they will.

Go and look up how we coped after the last big bushfire, suicides, fights and such were ripe.

1 hour ago, Peter B said:

Has it occurred to you that perhaps one reason your state has had no deaths is because of what the premier has ordered?

It's sort of like complaining about being made to wear a seatbelt when so few people die in car crashes.

ETA: Have a look at this page, in particular the chart showing the number of confirmed cases by state - the one with the log scale on the vertical axis: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-cases-data-reveals-how-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704

Then tell me when the number of cases is just going to stop.

Most of the deaths in AU are from people from overseas,or aussies coming back, and most are over 70. So it is not draconian measures. So at least on our state with next to closing it down, will have in under control in a few weeks time, or they pretty much have to or our state, may not recover in some areas.

1 hour ago, Peter B said:

ICYMI China is on top of the virus because of a lockdown tighter than a fish's backside. Seriously, what you're complaining about having to cope with at the moment is nothing compared to what the Chinese government imposed on its own citizens in Wuhan. Or hadn't you heard about the people whose self-isolation was imposed by having their front doors welded shut?

Yeah, l heard about that and the fact they may starve to death, if they don't tunnel or break some windows.

And N Korea's C-19 is also flatlining so!

Also true that the 25k fine, for breaching confinement won't work, in AU, since someone who is broke is not going anywhere near a doctor unless it is serious, since they will face police visits, starvation, (cannot order groceries, l know l tried) and 2 weeks staring at the wall. So most, (apart from Tom Hanks and his wife) will be mum, and go out after a week when symptoms subside.