Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Tuco's Gas

A voice of reason on Covid panic in US...

42 posts in this topic

Doug1029

Flanked by Vice President Mike Pence, left, and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, President Trump speaks during a coronavirus briefing on Wednesday. (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

This non-essential employee keeps showing up at work.

Doug

• Haha 1

Doug1029

Here are some features of the original Democrats’ stimulus plan:

• $1,500 for every person (including each child) with an extra $600 to anyone on unemployment and a plan for higher earners to pay back part or all of this payment over the next 3 years
  • $150 billion for health care providers and community clinics with an extra $80 billion in loans for hospitals while also waiving COVID-19 treatment costs and paying for hospitals’ expansion costs during this crisis and for charity care to the uninsured
  • $15.5 billion to assist the homeless
  • A nationwide ban on evictions and foreclosures
  • A requirement that any corporation getting a bail-out continues to keep their workers on payroll and allow them to organize a Union, and bans the corporation from lobbying, buying back stock, or giving their CEOs bonuses until they repay the loan in full

Now, here are some points in the Republicans’ bill:

• Only $1,200 for each person, one-time-only, excluding people who are poor or low-income, and no boosts to unemployment insurance
  • Only $75 billion for hospitals that will soon be at max capacity with little resources and no protections for overworked nurses and doctors
  • NO protection against evictions and foreclosures
  • A $500 billion slush fund for Donald Trump to bail out corporations as he chooses, with no transparency or oversight. He could give the money to his own Trump properties!

This has yet to pass Congress, so that's where we're at.

Doug

LV-426
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, tmcom said:

And how many die of the common flu each year, 9 million in China alone, and a few thousand per year here, it is a fact of life, that a lot of people die of that each year.

It's hard to get exact figures for this, but as far as I understand it the annual death rate for flu is around 0.1%.

The numbers for COVID-19 are still coming in, but the very best estimates I've seen are between 0.5 and 1%, or five to ten times the mortality rate. The WHO is placing it at 3.4%, or 34 times the mortality rate.

Of course the real issue with this Coronavirus is that we're still relatively in the dark. The mortailty rate could be lower if many mild cases are going unreported. They could also be much higher. Italy is currently at 74,386 cases and 7,503 deaths. That's closer to 10%... while under lockdown.

Flu figures are with vaccinations available. COVID-19 might not have a vaccine for another eighteen months.

I mean, you don't need to be a mathematician to see this is far more serious than flu. If you don't want to believe the numbers you can watch countless interviews with frontline healthcare workers across the globe who say they can't cope with the sheer volume of cases coming in. The latest I watched today from New York, where a medic said it was worse than 9/11.

45 minutes ago, tmcom said:

And how many commited suicide after 1929, quite a few. Sure investors crap on about it will come back, but if you have lost everything, and need the income, then your income is gone for months or years. Mass suicides if the ASX drops by 100% or more, (a real possibilty) is real, when people who are in their 50's or older lose the lot, then a cliff face looks good. If we keep this up for months, and the drop happens, then the deaths by their own hand will outway C=19 deaths. Maybe it will sink in now?

I'm not going to underplay the economic impact it will have, but I'll quote myself from another thread:

35 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

The point many are overlooking is whether economies would fare any better if we had few or no restrictions.

I watched an interview a few weeks back with one of the scientists who helped identify Ebola. He stated that COVID-19 is far worse than Ebola, not due to the symptoms or the mortality rate, but due to how highly contagious it is. If we didn't have these strict lockdown measures in place, the very best healthcare systems in the world would be obliterated. Those in poorer nations wouldn't stand a chance.

I mean, I'm far from being an economist, but to me it looks like "economic crisis" or "economic crisis plus mass deaths."

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 2

Doug1029
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

Just found out how that $2400 check from the Federal govt will work.  It's not a loan.  And it's not taxable; although you would have to enter it as income if you itemize (It is later subtracted out.).  BUT:  it's an advance on next year's tax refund.  It will count as a negative tax credit.  If you don't want to get blindsided by it, raise your withholding by $200 a month.  The important part is that you will have to return it to the Federal govt next year.  Unlike the situation with large corporations, it's not a gift.

Doug

P.S.:  That $2400 is for married, filing jointly, as is the $200 withholding.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

itsnotoutthere
On 3/25/2020 at 6:34 AM, and then said:

I think we are going to see many in media and those who support them, use every death as a cudgel to beat Trump with.  It won't matter what he does or how much he accomplishes, they will constantly beat a drum of hate and vitriol against him.  I pray that he overcomes this and is re-elected in spite of all they will do.  They are shameless to the point of being disgusting and if we see deaths like we've seen in Italy, they might well find themselves in the sights of some VERY ANGRY Americans...

The left are doing exactly the same trick in the UK too.

Doug1029

tmcom: And how many die of the common flu each year, 9 million in China alone, and a few thousand per year here, it is a fact of life, that a lot of people die of that each year.

In the US, about 10,000 a year die of various strains of flu, excluding the coronavirus.  We have predictions for coronavirus ranging from 30,000 to 3.7 million.  So it is at least three times more deadly.

Doug

• Like 1

itsnotoutthere
2 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

Here are some features of the original Democrats’ stimulus plan:

• $1,500 for every person (including each child) with an extra $600 to anyone on unemployment and a plan for higher earners to pay back part or all of this payment over the next 3 years
  • $150 billion for health care providers and community clinics with an extra $80 billion in loans for hospitals while also waiving COVID-19 treatment costs and paying for hospitals’ expansion costs during this crisis and for charity care to the uninsured
  • $15.5 billion to assist the homeless
  • A nationwide ban on evictions and foreclosures
  • A requirement that any corporation getting a bail-out continues to keep their workers on payroll and allow them to organize a Union, and bans the corporation from lobbying, buying back stock, or giving their CEOs bonuses until they repay the loan in full

Now, here are some points in the Republicans’ bill:

• Only $1,200 for each person, one-time-only, excluding people who are poor or low-income, and no boosts to unemployment insurance
  • Only $75 billion for hospitals that will soon be at max capacity with little resources and no protections for overworked nurses and doctors
  • NO protection against evictions and foreclosures
  • A $500 billion slush fund for Donald Trump to bail out corporations as he chooses, with no transparency or oversight. He could give the money to his own Trump properties!

Doug

Difference is Doug, you can promise anything you want when you're in opposition because you're not going to have to fund it.

• Like 2

Doug1029
3 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Difference is Doug, you can promise anything you want when you're in opposition because you're not going to have to fund it.

It's $1200 AND it's an advance on your next year's tax refund.  You will have to pay it all back.  They figured out how to fund it, alright.

Doug

Doug1029

and then:  ...and if we see deaths like we've seen in Italy, they might well find themselves in the sights of some VERY ANGRY Americans...

The revolution starts when we hit you back.

Doug

Doug1029

Day 9:  Oklahoma has 264 cases, among which there have been five deaths.  There are five cases within the county.  Don't know about city and/or campus.  Students still evacuating the dorms, but most are out.  The grocery store looks like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

Planning on a cookout in the back yard.  Roast some brauts.  Might as well make use of the beautiful weather.

Doug

odas

Canada.

Thank you Trudeau, Ford and all the other province leaders, the conservative and NDP opposition, for thinking on Canadians first in these hard times. All of you proved that we Canadians can count on you.

Michelle

Anybody got any facts about the stimulus package they can prove? I mean directly from the government with no interpretations from the media.

Tiggs
24 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Anybody got any facts about the stimulus package they can prove? I mean directly from the government with no interpretations from the media.

NPR appears to have a copy of the 880-page Senate bill, here.

Believe it still has to get through the House, though, so nothing's set in stone just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

tmcom
9 hours ago, LV-426 said:

It's hard to get exact figures for this, but as far as I understand it the annual death rate for flu is around 0.1%.

The numbers for COVID-19 are still coming in, but the very best estimates I've seen are between 0.5 and 1%, or five to ten times the mortality rate. The WHO is placing it at 3.4%, or 34 times the mortality rate.

Of course the real issue with this Coronavirus is that we're still relatively in the dark. The mortailty rate could be lower if many mild cases are going unreported. They could also be much higher. Italy is currently at 74,386 cases and 7,503 deaths. That's closer to 10%... while under lockdown.

Flu figures are with vaccinations available. COVID-19 might not have a vaccine for another eighteen months.

I mean, you don't need to be a mathematician to see this is far more serious than flu. If you don't want to believe the numbers you can watch countless interviews with frontline healthcare workers across the globe who say they can't cope with the sheer volume of cases coming in. The latest I watched today from New York, where a medic said it was worse than 9/11.

And my government is testing an over the counter drug that has shown promising results, not to mention the possible cure below. The so called experts should know about the blood transfusion one, as it was effectively used in the Spanish flu and SARS.

If some so called expert predicts that the world will decimated by this, (death rate) then they are probably using this to sell a book or gain more power!

7 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

tmcom: And how many die of the common flu each year, 9 million in China alone, and a few thousand per year here, it is a fact of life, that a lot of people die of that each year.

In the US, about 10,000 a year die of various strains of flu, excluding the coronavirus.  We have predictions for coronavirus ranging from 30,000 to 3.7 million.  So it is at least three times more deadly.

Doug

https://www.news.com.au/national/coronavirus-the-stone-age-treatment-that-could-provide-a-cure/video/cd55025db2373f5ee92f50b7d17d2a1c

And it is slow to mutate, (the flu mutates often, which is why we cannot get on top of it) as l said above, some experts are idiots or bent.

B)

Golden Duck
On 3/26/2020 at 12:12 PM, tmcom said:

Bet my life, well your climate emergency, tipping point has done well, no mention of it on tv, apart from a few buried articles! How can it be an emergency if no one gives a f....k?

As for me l have spent the last week, enjoying a coffe, cake and newspaper, taking reasonable precautions, and relaxing. And now due to over the top ape-****, reasoning, coffee shops, and restaurants are shut, apart from takeaway. But there are loopholes, so l am still enjoying a cofee, cake and paper.

There have been no deaths in my state, and even with the one chance in 30,000, (or whatever it is now) l still have no better chance of getting this if a C-19 case was in the same room as l was, than the common flu.

I never get the flu unless l am overly stressed, so l am trying to stay calm, but thanks to f...wit it is now a lot harder to accomplish.

Let me know when you go mad! :P

And my state has had NO DEATHS, but our dimwitted premier just keeps closing down everything in sight.

I can see the tv ad's now, "Lost your job, standing in a SS line, have someone behind you coughing, seeing half of your investments gone, don't refrain, we will close down the cinema's, coffee shops, restaurants and and bookstores, and tell you to stay at home, that will perk you right up"!

:rolleyes:

The late, right-wing, shock-jock, Stan Zemanek used to say there is no such thing as depression.  You're inching towards the looney left are you?

tmcom
5 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

The late, right-wing, shock-jock, Stan Zemanek used to say there is no such thing as depression.  You're inching towards the looney left are you?

No, l am not!

:sleepy:

• Haha 1

Peter B
On 3/25/2020 at 1:56 PM, Tuco's Gas said:

Well, it's about a month since Dr Sharkaway wrote his Facebook post.

There are now over 1 million people infected and more than 60,000 people dead around the world, and the disease is just starting to spread in poorer countries in Africa, Asia and South America.

Has Dr Sharkawy offered any more recent thoughts regarding Covid-19?