Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Working from home? Your boss is watching.

Eldorado

"Coronavirus has shifted work away from the office, but not from prying eyes.

"As companies across Europe and the United States order employees to work from home, the focus of the working day has shifted to messaging applications and conference call platforms.

"But any sense that employees are flying under the radar is misplaced.

"Working from home may in fact increase workplace surveillance, as in-person conversations move to videoconferencing apps that tell your boss whether you’re paying attention, or messaging apps that your boss can acces."

Full article at Politico Europe: Link

• Like 2

Luckily for me, my working from home is just through a remote desktop web-based system. 

So as long as I don’t access anything NSFW through that, it’s all good. I can still use any other computer functions normally. 

And you can usually turn off permissions for microphones/webcams for that sort of thing too, so they’re only available if you grant access. 

I’m not an IT guru by any means, but if anyone has specific questions, there’s probably someone here who can help to answer. 

And yes, there will be people trying to scam/take advantage of the current situation, so if you’re unsure at all, seek help and don’t give out any personal/business details.

Scams are always becoming more ‘authentic’,  they can look very official, so check with a friend/manager or IT etc.  if you receive any requests for personal/sensitive information and you’re not 100% sure of the origin!

Stay safe all!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I taped over the camera and plugged in some cheap ear buds into the microphone plug on the work computer.  So they should not be able to see or hear anything. 

I also have a second PC and a non-work issued phone that I do non-work related stuff on. So as long as they are not monitoring my Wi-Fi router, I think I should be OK.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not these thing, but always bother over the phone asking work progress. I think going to the office better than working from home. Superiors don't satisfy with the workload  we complete at the home.. According to their idea, we should do more than we do in the office. It's a disaster

• Like 1

Manager also didn't see the bottle of vodka under the desk. ;) JK

• Haha 1