Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Revisiting Decades-Old Voyager 2 Data

Waspie_Dwarf

Revisiting Decades-Old Voyager 2 Data, Scientists Find One More Secret

Eight and a half years into its grand tour of the solar system, NASA’s Voyager 2 spacecraft was ready for another encounter. It was Jan. 24, 1986, and soon it would meet the mysterious seventh planet, icy-cold Uranus.

Over the next few hours, Voyager 2 flew within 50,600 miles (81,433 kilometers) of Uranus’ cloud tops, collecting data that revealed two new rings, 11 new moons and temperatures below minus 353 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 214 degrees Celsius). The dataset is still the only up-close measurements we have ever made of the planet.

Three decades later, scientists reinspecting that data found one more secret.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The earth will be dry and it's atmosphere thin in the future, before getting swallowed by an aging sun. It's the reason that we need to go interstellar...colonization is the only way for earth species to survive

Edited by Jon the frog

31 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

The earth will be dry and it's atmosphere thin in the future, before getting swallowed by an aging sun. It's the reason that we need to go interstellar...colonization is the only way for earth species to survive

This is true, but I fail to see what it has to do with the topic.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

This is true, but I fail to see what it has to do with the topic.

Well, earth like Uranus is leaking atmospheric gases into space...I think it's going well with the title of the link: Uranus is leaking atmospheric gases into space...

Edited by Jon the frog

54 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"Uranus is leaking atmospheric gases into space"?

10/10  lol

Ya beat beat me to it — was gonna say  something like that.  

The title is perfect humour.  A rarity these days.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Well, earth like Uranus is leaking atmospheric gases into space...I think it's going well with the title of the link: Uranus is leaking atmospheric gases into space...

That is an incredibly tenuous link. Your post has nothing to do with Voyager and nothing to do with Uranus. In fact your post has nothing at all to do with the subject of this topic.

It's a worthwhile subject of discussion, and worthy of a thread, if you want to start one.

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

That is an incredibly tenuous link. Your post has nothing to do with Voyager and nothing to do with Uranus. In fact your post has nothing at all to do with the subject of this topic.

It's a worthwhile subject of discussion, and worthy of a thread, if you want to start one.

It was just to say that some post got automatically linked here...peace