Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

"Walking corpse syndrome" is a real thing

Eldorado

"Walking corpse syndrome is a rare psychiatric disorder that is also known as Cotard’s syndrome or Cotard’s delusion. People who suffer from this condition believe that parts of their body are missing.

"They may also believe that their soul is missing or that they are dead. This condition is so rare that only about 200 known cases are there in the entire world.

"Mental health experts have connected this disorder to a dysfunction in the areas of the brain that has the responsibility for recognizing and associating emotions with faces, including their own. Patients suffer a complete emotional detachment.

Full article at The Health Site: Link

A Case Report of Cotard’s Syndrome at Gov: Link

Cotard Delusion: Wikipedia

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Tuco's Gas
37 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"Walking corpse syndrome is a rare psychiatric disorder that is also known as Cotard’s syndrome or Cotard’s delusion. People who suffer from this condition believe that parts of their body are missing.

"They may also believe that their soul is missing or that they are dead. This condition is so rare that only about 200 known cases are there in the entire world.

"Mental health experts have connected this disorder to a dysfunction in the areas of the brain that has the responsibility for recognizing and associating emotions with faces, including their own. Patients suffer a complete emotional detachment.

Full article at The Health Site: Link

A Case Report of Cotard’s Syndrome at Gov: Link

Cotard Delusion: Wikipedia

Just so. If memory serves, Richard Ramirez was said to have been afflicted with Cotard's. At least that's what a psychiatrist who testified for his defense claimed.

Didn't work. The Night Stalker was given the death penalty, but died prior to execution from cancer in 2013, at age 53.

Edited by Tuco's Gas
  • Like 2

sci-nerd

I would argue that it's a real diagnosis, not a real thing.

I know it's hair-splitting, but when it comes to science, details are important.
Could psychiatry be wrong? Of course it could! Like all other sciences it's a work in progress.

and then
2 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

I would argue that it's a real diagnosis, not a real thing.

I know it's hair-splitting, but when it comes to science, details are important.
Could psychiatry be wrong? Of course it could! Like all other sciences it's a work in progress.

I had an "Abnormal Psychology" course taught by a German American professor who laughed at the idea that psychology was even a science.  He was an amazing professor.  LOVED that course ;)

tmcom

I see them all the time in shopping centres.

:o

sci-nerd
11 hours ago, and then said:

I had an "Abnormal Psychology" course taught by a German American professor who laughed at the idea that psychology was even a science.  He was an amazing professor.  LOVED that course ;)

Let me guess. He was a physicist, right? They are sometimes very arrogant, and think their's is the only true science :P