Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I’m about to go out of my mind

White Crane Feather

We have been under a “shelter in place” order for what a week now. The kids love it, but all progress on everything has stopped. We can sorta get out doors if we want, so that is nice, but there just doesn't seem to be an end in sight. The talking heads are saying this might take months to be over with and the doom and gloom financially is insane.

I really am fortunate enough to have my education in economics, and I converted my entire portfolio to cash weeks ago when I saw the numbers coming out of China. I waited for the first few cases of community spread and I sold everything and I mean everything even bitcoin, so my savings and retirement are protected. 

Everyone else though is melting around me. All the business are closed for the foreseeable future, and no one seems to know what to do. Our government is so polarized it seems they are impotent, and no one has any real solutions. 

I sit here with this pressure on my mind, and I can’t seem to satisfy my anxiety. No television show is interesting, no books, nothing to satisfy my mind. Meditation helps, but I simply can’t shake it when I’m not in meditation. I feel like a caged animal. Typically when I get like this I toss on a back pack and disappear for a week in some deep wilderness, but I can’t leave my family and the weather isn’t really conducive to take them. I started a huge garden on my land that can probably feed the neighborhood in a few months, but that doesn't satisfy me either. I’m not looking for solutions, I’m just venting. I always thought I’d be some maverick homesteader/survivalist  during something like this, but it’s only been a week and I feel like I’m going to explode.

Anyway. I’d like to hear what is going on in your neck of the woods during this chaos. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

In south Alabama, we're under the same kinds of restrictions and I'm sure that younger folks with families are going through the same anxiety you mention.  I'm blessed not to be under that kind of stress but I have been asking to volunteer at the local hospital.  I guess they aren't overly stressed yet but if this thing explodes here as it has in Italy or Spain then they might welcome an old fart like me to help out.  I started another thread about re-starting the economy and was asking for opinions about that.  How do you feel about Trump wanting to get America back to work asap?

• Like 3

@White Crane Feather

may I introduce Wes Watson...... he's got some Tough Love for you :D

warning - very intense with profanities

going onto the YouTube site and reading the comments is also recommended...

video description -

What is your Coronavirus lockdown plan? Do you go to blaming other people or do you go strengthening your self-talk? Or are you scared now? Or are you holding on to the positivity that the sun still comes up every single day? In the midst of this Coronavirus lockdown, Wes Watson remembers the dark days he had during his lockdown. It is during those days that he made his self-talk savage. It is during those days that he acquired discipline and developed character. What is Wes Watson's Coronavirus lockdown plan? It's to stay present even when everything is being taken away from you. When the material world collapses around you, the spiritual world is awakening. Choose positivity now, create everything you can with what you got, live your vision, and continue to stack wins!!

Edited by bee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Technically No one can do that

• Haha 4

The lock down is going to end on Easter, hang in there ,,staying home is making everyone a good cook, but also a lot more drunks :) but its better then getting that horrible virus,

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, bee said:

may I introduce Wes Watson...... he's got some Tough Love for you :D

A lot of his prison stories are fairy tales........

• Like 3

I feel about the same as you, here in California. I think a big part of it for me, though, is I'm having trouble sleeping, and when I do it's haphazardly scheduled, and may last an hour, or like yesterday I may be in bed in and out of sleep all day. I am getting pretty stir crazy, too, which doesn't make total sense since I've always been an extreme introvert anyway, but maybe it's just psychological, knowing now I can't go out so much now as opposed to choose not to.

• Like 3

I might have actually had the virus. Was down for about 4 days. Sore throat, dry cough, slight fever. Should be heading back to work next week. Luckily both me and the wife have jobs that haven't shut down, so we aren't going stir crazy.

• Like 9

@White Crane Feather I am also in California and on my third week of being “stuck in” over Corona.  Yes, I completely and totally relate to what you are experiencing.  The BOREDOM IS PALPABLE - the struggle is real.  I have lost my interest / excitement over nearly everything.  Additionally, some of my closest loved ones are really hurting financially over this right now.

I have tried so many different things to try and occupy my mind, spend time....and I’m just,,,Sigh.  Can’t get no satisfaction.  Doing art and music, reading news, researching things.  All those things I said I would do if I had the time, like organize clothes, office, files, etc.  DONT WANNA DO IT!!!!!  Literally bored out of my head!  I get you.

i guess we just have to hunker down and ride the storm out.  Sigh.

• Like 4

I don’t feel like exercising, don’t have much of an appetite and don’t feel like reading books.  Fortunately, some golf courses near me are open and we can practice social distancing while playing golf.  So, there’s four hours of a day occupied for me a couple or few times per week.  But even that doesn’t help much because I can’t forget about everything else going on while I’m out playing.  I shot an 83 the other day which is a good day of golf for me and I was all like......eh.

Sad face emojis insert.

• Like 2

I did find a series to watch that I enjoyed, it was the new War of the Worlds....but there was only the one season available and I finished it in two days.  Sigh.  Oh, nevermind.  No one wants to hear a complainer lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Technically No one can do that

You have no idea who you are talking to lol. 

• Haha 4

I don't suffer from insanity... i rather enjoy it.

• Like 5

A pal of mine shared a video on his terrible teens making a fuss about "stuck" indoors complaining about nothing to do... 

Dad says "go play with your X box"

The look of silent shock on their faces... 

Priceless... 

~

• Haha 4

Welcome to my world.  I've been in a semi quarantine for about 10 years now.  Not medical, but retired with no social contacts.  The trick is in pacing yourself.  It takes a while to go from busy on the job to having too much time.  It helps to be easily amused.  I miss getting out, which I did about 3 times a week just to keep cabin fever in abeyance, but since that's been the only change due to the virus it hasn't been too difficult.  I've been spending more time on the internet, talking about what else, but the virus.  I do some cooking and chores and I'm looking forward to yardwork with spring coming.  Of course I have the luxury of living alone.  If I was home with a wife and kids someone might have been strangled by now.

• Like 5

i actually work more hours now than in "good' times,  lots of cleaning disinfecting, have to modify duty of my crew, make sure they stay protected,  many of our tenants are essential industry , and so are we,  i drive 100+ miles a day all over city, but good news is, traffic in nyc is like i've never seen before. most roads are empty.  i get a lot more done,  normally i spend 1- 2 hours in traffics, and to some places i did not even drive due to congestion, now i drive to every location i manage, and do not waste a minute sitting in traffic. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

I’m not literally going insane, I’m just bored as hell.  So, I guess that makes me a little crazy.  But, cabin fever is real, so BAM!!!

• Like 1

I've been enjoying this down time,really giving me time to do what i enjoy most but can never find time to do...Avoid other people :D

Also been getting a lot of yard work done,hanging out with my dogs,got my truck washed and waxed and a tuneup,grilling alot,good bit of lifting weights and heavy bag work...havn't really found the time to get bored lol

• Like 4

On 3/25/2020 at 11:02 PM, and then said:

In south Alabama, we're under the same kinds of restrictions and I'm sure that younger folks with families are going through the same anxiety you mention.  I'm blessed not to be under that kind of stress but I have been asking to volunteer at the local hospital.  I guess they aren't overly stressed yet but if this thing explodes here as it has in Italy or Spain then they might welcome an old fart like me to help out.  I started another thread about re-starting the economy and was asking for opinions about that.  How do you feel about Trump wanting to get America back to work asap?

I think politicians need to listen to scientists and economists. They know how to win elections and influence, but the real decisions should be calculated by those who have trained their whole lives to know about these things. I’m torn about it. You cannot keep the country locked down forever. A true financial collapse can be more dangerous than the virus. If supply chains for food and necessities fall apart, then all hell is going to break loose. I don’t see that happening, but you never know.   That hasn’t stopped me from planting a garden that can probably feed us for about six months though. 

Then there are the millions of Americans (mostly older people) that will die if we don’t spend a ton of time early on in social distancing. I am well aware of the math, and what we are doing to flatten the curve is sound. I just don’t know how sustainable it is. The virus is here to stay. We may flatten the curve, but most of us are going to end up with it anyway. A flat curve doesn’t mean less volume, it means less people all at once that won’t overwhelm the hospitals and lead to triage of everyone not just those struggling with the virus.  

I am willing to take any hits necessary to save people though, but I’m sitting in a very good place compared to others. I really don’t have anything to complain about. It won’t affect me financially at all. As mentioned I could see the economic fallout coming and I protected all my assets. I sold my business last year and my wife has an amazing tech job where she can work from home. She is part of the supply chain for a large corporation and her job isn’t going anywhere especially now. It’s easy for me to say we should all stay at home for now, but I will always have a roof over my head. Others need to get back to work.  

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

You have no idea who you are talking to lol. 

Hahah yes the irony! Hahahah 

• Like 1

Just a reminder of what's at stake...

Cuomo pushing to open multiple emergency hospitals in New York

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The resemblance from 1918 is eerie...

Spanish flu - Wikipedia

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 12:33 AM, White Crane Feather said:

I’d like to hear what is going on in your neck of the woods during this chaos. 

So far, my life hasn’t been affected too much, other than the restaurant closures. Normally I’d go to McDonald’s twice a month, and once a month I meet with friends at a regular restaurant. 

I don’t have television, so I’m spared from the constant negativity of the news channels. I avoid talk radio and only listen to music while I’m driving or walking. My house is always quiet except for when I watch a DVD. 

My ‘fun’ activities are all outdoors-related. There are nearby state and county parks for hiking. If the parks are closed down, I can walk the 4-mile section grid. There are only three other occupied homes besides mine, and everything else is trees and farmfields. It’s social-distancing at its best. Living a minimalist life isn’t for everyone, but it does have its benefits.

• Like 3