Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
White Crane Feather

I’m about to go out of my mind

34 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

White Crane Feather
25 minutes ago, simplybill said:

So far, my life hasn’t been affected too much, other than the restaurant closures. Normally I’d go to McDonald’s twice a month, and once a month I meet with friends at a regular restaurant. 

I don’t have television, so I’m spared from the constant negativity of the news channels. I avoid talk radio and only listen to music while I’m driving or walking. My house is always quiet except for when I watch a DVD. 

My ‘fun’ activities are all outdoors-related. There are nearby state and county parks for hiking. If the parks are closed down, I can walk the 4-mile section grid. There are only three other occupied homes besides mine, and everything else is trees and farmfields. It’s social-distancing at its best. Living a minimalist life isn’t for everyone, but it does have its benefits.

 

 

Honestly I wish I could talk my wife into moving somewhere simple, and I don’t think I’d really mind if all electronics and all the connectivity simply vanished. If I were not s man with a wife and children, It’s very possible I would strap in a pack and take a permanent back packing trip. 

Edited by White Crane Feather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
simplybill
24 minutes ago, White Crane Feather said:

Honestly I wish I could talk my wife into moving somewhere simple, and I don’t think I’d really mind if all electronics and all the connectivity simply vanished. If I were not s man with a wife and children, It’s very possible I would strap in a pack and take a permanent back packing trip. 

I’ve never put this into words, so it may not make sense. Being minimalist includes being able to respond to minimal moments in everyday life. During the winter months when long-distance hiking isn’t an option, I look forward to the 120-foot walk to my mailbox. I pause to look at the snow-covered fields and listen to the wind in the trees. Those moments are a condensed tonic that loosen the grip of cabin fever.

You may be able to trick your family into enjoying the wilderness more by going outside during the  Perseid Meteor Shower and counting the falling stars for twenty minutes. The next one is due August 11-12.

Or take them for a short walk in a park and count the wildlife. Yesterday here in Iowa it was cold and windy and gloomy. I went for a walk at the nearby State Park and counted four Canada geese, two deer, and fifty ducks (m/l). Being in Nature and seeing the carefree lives of wild animals has a way of reducing stress in a way that indoor life can’t compete with.

Those brief glimpses of a simpler life may change the way your family sees the vision you have.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Crane Feather
On 3/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, simplybill said:

I’ve never put this into words, so it may not make sense. Being minimalist includes being able to respond to minimal moments in everyday life. During the winter months when long-distance hiking isn’t an option, I look forward to the 120-foot walk to my mailbox. I pause to look at the snow-covered fields and listen to the wind in the trees. Those moments are a condensed tonic that loosen the grip of cabin fever.

You may be able to trick your family into enjoying the wilderness more by going outside during the  Perseid Meteor Shower and counting the falling stars for twenty minutes. The next one is due August 11-12.

Or take them for a short walk in a park and count the wildlife. Yesterday here in Iowa it was cold and windy and gloomy. I went for a walk at the nearby State Park and counted four Canada geese, two deer, and fifty ducks (m/l). Being in Nature and seeing the carefree lives of wild animals has a way of reducing stress in a way that indoor life can’t compete with.

Those brief glimpses of a simpler life may change the way your family sees the vision you have.

You have a beautiful way of looking at the world simplybill. I know those moments when I’m out. The silence in my mind takes about three days to be in the right spot. I have 3 boys, I do take them on trips into the deep wild. There is nothing like the wonder and constant fascination kids have when they are disconnected from everything and giving infinite access to a mountain river. In CA I have the Sierras, and I think of them as my true home. The lost coast is an amazing place too. 

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docyabut2

In my state of Ohio our governor said the peak of that virus will peak in May  and so a lock down  will continue , even nurse students will be hired. Its sad  that car festivals places  and other places  are turned into hospitals  :(

 

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Detroit-Auto-Show-canceled-as-FEMA-569196201.html

Edited by docyabut2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
On 3/26/2020 at 1:09 AM, bee said:

 

@White Crane Feather

 

may I introduce Wes Watson...... he's got some Tough Love for you :D

 

I love Wes. That was even more angry than usual. He’s right. This will end and the main thing to remember is that you are what you need to overcome. There are some external things that we can do nothing about, but how we deal with lockdown day to day is entirely within our power. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Susanc241
On 3/27/2020 at 2:13 AM, Big Jim said:

Welcome to my world.  I've been in a semi quarantine for about 10 years now.  Not medical, but retired with no social contacts.  The trick is in pacing yourself.  It takes a while to go from busy on the job to having too much time.  It helps to be easily amused.  I miss getting out, which I did about 3 times a week just to keep cabin fever in abeyance, but since that's been the only change due to the virus it hasn't been too difficult.  I've been spending more time on the internet, talking about what else, but the virus.  I do some cooking and chores and I'm looking forward to yardwork with spring coming.  Of course I have the luxury of living alone.  If I was home with a wife and kids someone might have been strangled by now.

As with you, my husband and I are retired and just have a dog to look after.    In many ways, with our limited social life (in normal times) it hasn’t become much different.  We are allowed a daily exercise outing each, so we use these to give our dog her two walks a day.  It is exercise for us too as she walks or trots fast so we do too!  I have another huge advantage, and it may seem strange to say this, but after being agoraphobic for most of my adult life to one degree or another (minimal problem in the last few years), now suddenly I have no pressure to go out, and the relief is palpable.  As long as I get out once a day for half an hour with the dog, I know I will not regress and once we are let loose I can resume my life much the same as before.  From a mental point of view, never did I ever think I would be grateful that I am not likely to get cabin fever or go stir crazy!  My hobbies and interests revolve around my home and are almost all indoor activities.

I feel for all the outdoorsy types among you, but I will offer this - before you know it this will all be but a distant memory.  I remind myself this every time I face something that causes my anxiety levels to peak.  Like childbirth, it won’t seem half as bad once through it!! :st

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
On 3/26/2020 at 9:20 AM, preacherman76 said:

I might have actually had the virus. Was down for about 4 days. Sore throat, dry cough, slight fever. Should be heading back to work next week. Luckily both me and the wife have jobs that haven't shut down, so we aren't going stir crazy.

You sure you should be leaving the house yet?   Might be a good idea to wait the full 15-17 days.   

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles

I'm surprised everyone is so "bored" already.  I've done some cleaning out of closets, watched a few shows I said I'd do when I got time, played some games and still have a few projects I can work on.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
5 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm surprised everyone is so "bored" already.  I've done some cleaning out of closets, watched a few shows I said I'd do when I got time, played some games and still have a few projects I can work on.    

Hell. Last Summer I did all that. Complete upper floor reno. Bathroom, floors, paint..all done by myself except the full bathroom reno.

Told my wife not to push me. Leave something for later. 

Now I got nothing to do. Sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.