Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Fifth person dies in hunt for Fenn's treasure

MissJatti

Isnt USA in lockdown due to coronavirus

jowasmus
5 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Only a few states. The rest of us aren't, but this may HAVE been his self isolation.

• Like 2

Seti42

Little did they know the real treasure was inside of us all along.

• Haha 3

jowasmus
47 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

Little did they know the real treasure was inside of us all along.

Yeah it must be one of those "it's the journey, not the destination" things. LOL

qxcontinuum

Why not waiting for summer?

• Thanks 1

Bed of chaos

Look up Fenn's background. He's a grave robber and con artist. Got raided by the feds. Good luck with book money (i wouldnt want five deaths on my conscience) ..hope it was worth it.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Thanks 1

Alchopwn
On 3/27/2020 at 12:29 AM, MissJatti said:

Dying alone in the wilderness is the extreme sports form of social distancing.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

White Crane Feather

That was odd. I was just on UM and found this story somewhere else and it lead me right back here. I have heard from a good friend of this person that died, and she relayed the whole story. Oddly I have been to this exact place in dinosaur national monument. I have inspected the abandoned house they left their truck by, and I know the ravines, cliffs, and caves there very well. I have even taken my Jeep over  the rocky pass between Wild mountain north and wild mountain south.  That was a hair raising rock climb for my poor jeep. I stood exactly where butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid would have crossed at. Legend holds that they also hid loot in those mountains. 

It’s a remote and dangerous wilderness. Even in good weather it’s hot and dry and can suck the water right out of you, and in the winter bitter cold. No one has any business out there unless they are a skilled outdoorsman. Even I have suffered exhaustion and dehydration out there, and twice now I have had to resort to legitimate survival skills to get myself out. I’m feeling called back to that place. There is truly sacred ground there, and you can feel it when you are there.  

As for the deaths. People die all the time doing outdoor activities. That’s not to trivialize them, but it could have been any kind of outdoor activity. Just because it’s a treasure hunt doesn't make it the fault of the hunt. Crap happens out there no matter what people are up to. 

Edited by White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather
11 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Look up Fenn's background. He's a grave robber and con artist. Got raided by the feds. Good luck with book money (i wouldnt want five deaths on my conscience) ..hope it was worth it.

People get hurt and die doing outdoor activities all the time. It doesn't matter if it’s hiking, dirt biking, fishing, hunting, or whatever. The odds are such that if enough people do these things something will happen to some people. It’s not the fault of this guy who hid the treasure anymore than it’s the fault of fish an game if someone dies hiking to and fishing for the trout they stock rivers with.  

Bed of chaos

Well, five families are left to mourn loved ones and he does nothing. I consider him partially responsible. He gives others false hope and reeks of deception. Yes, people make their own decisions however some have become obsessive, spent thousands, relocated, in search of 'treasure'. Also, I doubt all the victims take the same regular precautions hiking. They're looking for money.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

Piney
1 hour ago, Bed of chaos said:

Well, five families are left to mourn loved ones and he does nothing. I consider him partially responsible. He gives others false hope and reeks of deception. Yes, people make their own decisions however some have become obsessive, spent thousands, relocated, in search of 'treasure'. Also, I doubt all the victims take the same regular precautions hiking. They're looking for money.

He evaded NAGPRA laws by grave robbing on private properties. 

• Like 1

Bed of chaos

He stated before San Lazaro Pueblo purchase "These sacred ruins need a guardian" (Robbreport.com, The Robb Reader: Forrest Fenn). Afterwards "I have all the artifacts in my possession and will never sell them".

Edited by Bed of chaos