Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fifth person dies in hunt for Fenn's treasure

UM-Bot

Isnt USA in lockdown due to coronavirus

5 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Only a few states. The rest of us aren't, but this may HAVE been his self isolation.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

Little did they know the real treasure was inside of us all along.

Yeah it must be one of those "it's the journey, not the destination" things. LOL

Why not waiting for summer?

• Thanks 1

Look up Fenn's background. He's a grave robber and con artist. Got raided by the feds. Good luck with book money (i wouldnt want five deaths on my conscience) ..hope it was worth it.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 12:29 AM, MissJatti said:

Dying alone in the wilderness is the extreme sports form of social distancing.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That was odd. I was just on UM and found this story somewhere else and it lead me right back here. I have heard from a good friend of this person that died, and she relayed the whole story. Oddly I have been to this exact place in dinosaur national monument. I have inspected the abandoned house they left their truck by, and I know the ravines, cliffs, and caves there very well. I have even taken my Jeep over  the rocky pass between Wild mountain north and wild mountain south.  That was a hair raising rock climb for my poor jeep. I stood exactly where butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid would have crossed at. Legend holds that they also hid loot in those mountains. 

It’s a remote and dangerous wilderness. Even in good weather it’s hot and dry and can suck the water right out of you, and in the winter bitter cold. No one has any business out there unless they are a skilled outdoorsman. Even I have suffered exhaustion and dehydration out there, and twice now I have had to resort to legitimate survival skills to get myself out. I’m feeling called back to that place. There is truly sacred ground there, and you can feel it when you are there.  

As for the deaths. People die all the time doing outdoor activities. That’s not to trivialize them, but it could have been any kind of outdoor activity. Just because it’s a treasure hunt doesn't make it the fault of the hunt. Crap happens out there no matter what people are up to. 

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Look up Fenn's background. He's a grave robber and con artist. Got raided by the feds. Good luck with book money (i wouldnt want five deaths on my conscience) ..hope it was worth it.

People get hurt and die doing outdoor activities all the time. It doesn't matter if it’s hiking, dirt biking, fishing, hunting, or whatever. The odds are such that if enough people do these things something will happen to some people. It’s not the fault of this guy who hid the treasure anymore than it’s the fault of fish an game if someone dies hiking to and fishing for the trout they stock rivers with.  

Well, five families are left to mourn loved ones and he does nothing. I consider him partially responsible. He gives others false hope and reeks of deception. Yes, people make their own decisions however some have become obsessive, spent thousands, relocated, in search of 'treasure'. Also, I doubt all the victims take the same regular precautions hiking. They're looking for money.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bed of chaos said:

Well, five families are left to mourn loved ones and he does nothing. I consider him partially responsible. He gives others false hope and reeks of deception. Yes, people make their own decisions however some have become obsessive, spent thousands, relocated, in search of 'treasure'. Also, I doubt all the victims take the same regular precautions hiking. They're looking for money.

He evaded NAGPRA laws by grave robbing on private properties. 

• Like 1

He stated before San Lazaro Pueblo purchase "These sacred ruins need a guardian" (Robbreport.com, The Robb Reader: Forrest Fenn). Afterwards "I have all the artifacts in my possession and will never sell them".

Edited by Bed of chaos

On 3/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, Bed of chaos said:

People do stupid things in the wilderness all the time. It doesn't matter what the activity it is. Well over 300,000 people have gone looking for that treasure. At five deaths, that it is only .6 deaths per 100,000. Those odds are most likely better than your home state’s murder rate. You have a greater chance of being killed on your way to work. How many fisherman die a year when they screw up on the water or on the ocean? Does that mean we should stop people from fishing? This constant urge society has to put bubble wrap around people because of selection bias is not only annoying, it is politically long term very dangerous for personal freedoms. 

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 5

On 3/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, Bed of chaos said:

people make their own decisions.  they put on their big boy pants and decide to go look for a treasure.  I use to go with a buddy and look for gold. we found very little, but had a lot of fun doing it.  we were careful hiking but life is uncertain. if this was the 1840's many of us might be heading out looking for gold, and most would be disappointed but it would still be an adventure. People get hurt and some die every day hiking somewhere, maybe looking for gold, maybe looking for birds, vistas, who knows.  If someone obsesses I am sure if its not this treasure it would be something else.  I personally would rather die in the middle of the mountains having fun, than in a car accident heading to some boring job.  I am going to live forever though. so far so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, micahc said:

people make their own decisions.  they put on their big boy pants and decide to go look for a treasure.  I use to go with a buddy and look for gold. we found very little, but had a lot of fun doing it.  we were careful hiking but life is uncertain. if this was the 1840's many of us might be heading out looking for gold, and most would be disappointed but it would still be an adventure. People get hurt and some die every day hiking somewhere, maybe looking for gold, maybe looking for birds, vistas, who knows.  If someone obsesses I am sure if its not this treasure it would be something else.  I personally would rather die in the middle of the mountains having fun, than in a car accident heading to some boring job.  I am going to live forever though. so far so good.

I bet the gold rush was a blast. Most of 'adventure'  came with cholera, starvation, exhaustion and crime. Also, I live in the mountains. You wouldn't want to die lost/alone out here. It would only be fun for the animals.

Edited by Bed of chaos

8 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

I bet the gold rush was a blast. Most of 'adventure'  came with cholera, starvation, exhaustion and crime. Also, I live in the mountains. You wouldn't want to die lost/alone out here. It would only be fun for the animals.

I use to live on Colorado and hiked all the time.  If I were younger I might go have a look.  I am sure most of the people looking are having a blast.  

• Like 1

Normally you are supposed to notify other people when you go on a hike alone.  But maybe people don't want to give their location because they don't want to share where they think the treasure is?

• Like 1

I got curious again about this story since I saw the OP post. I played a few interviews of Fenn and he said do not search during the winter, don't go into dangerous places, and search where an 80 year old man can hide something.  I also looked on Wikipedia for the 5 deaths, and clicked the footnote to the source story and found it interesting. One was a 31 year old man who's family said he moved to Colorado to hunt for the treasure. He died in a rafting accident. Not sure he was actually searching when he died, but the fact he moved to Colorado for the treasure is enough for some to blame the treasure. I moved to Colorado at 22 for the mountains. There are lots of reasons to live in Colorado.  I left years ago but if I were younger I would be checking out a few of my theories.  One death was a 50 something year old guy who was with a 65 year old guy. the 50 something died I guess from exposure. they rented snowmobiles and got them stuck and by the time they were rescued the younger had died. They had been rescued a couple of weeks before for the same reason apparently.  One was a man who went walking in yellow stone by himself but his wife was at the camp. she said he walked off looking for the treasure. He apparently slipped and fell down a hillside. Another was missing for a few months and his remains were found along the rio grande. again his wife said he went looking for the treasure. cause of death is not known. The fifth was found on the rio grande in NM as well, after finding his car on a bridge upstream.  I think the treasure is near a roadway. One interview, Fenn said, after he hid, when he got back to his car he thought, "did I really do this"?  So it seemed to me he had pulled over somewhere and hiked a bit and hid it, but not like a long dangerous hike in the back country.  I think people are trying to hard. He was recovering from cancer and old when he did it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

I have a great story about where the gold rush started. I went through a mini meteorite rush in the same exact spot with experiences in the same saloon and even swindlers. 

On 3/26/2020 at 8:45 AM, jowasmus said:

Only a few states. The rest of us aren't, but this may HAVE been his self isolation.

Nobody is in "lockdown". I get tired of people using such an inaccurate term. Many states are observing a "shelter in place" request from the governors of said states. The people are essentially on an honor system. Now, if the many who seem to think they are not part of it and defy the request don't begin following the guidelines, then the virus will continue to spread and get worse. In essence, the selfish keep it going and apparently don't even care about their own families.

My family does it's best to follow guidelines. My wife and I are both in jobs that are essential, so we work, but if groceries are needed, one of us goes alone. I am at Walmart in line to get in and see groups of people all going together, like getting groceries is a big party. Then I see full on families with kids, who of course, touch everything in sight, then put their hands in their mouth and grab onto mom 20 times. These are the people who keep the virus alive and spreading. I saw a video yesterday of a street market in New Orleans or somewhere and people were getting lunch from counters where workers weren't wearing masks or gloves as they prepared food. All the while, their face is 6 inches away, breathing on said food. In fact, nobody in that video was protected. This is a perfect example of why my family stopped eating take out. Apparently if you work at a restaurant, you are immune to the virus. At my company, to give the employees a treat, everyday they send a menu around to order food from a local place. While I appreciate it, I pass on this. However, the CEO does restricted ordering salads. So, just like the restaurant workers, I guess certain foods/containers can't carry the virus. Many pizza chains tout their "no touch" policy after cooking the pizza. I guess that box it's in just assembles itself.

Don't get me wrong, my family is in no way panicky or freaking out. We merely think common sense is a good way to go to reduce the chances of getting infected and yes, we wear masks in public as the CDC recommends. Thankfully, I have access to them and yes, I do know that some people just cant' get them and that;'s why they aren't wearing them.

Right now, it's shelter in place, but I see a lot of things that I am questioning, such as the big reduction in deaths from the flu, heart disease, etc...In other words, everything is being chalked up to caronavirus. Also, I'm paying close attention to the possible announcement of a "for your own good" order....Such as that "lockdown" mentioned or worse, martial law. Once rights are taken from you, when an event is over, some of those rights are never returned and they expect you to accept it....for your own future good.

19 hours ago, jbondo said:

Nobody is in "lockdown". I get tired of people using such an inaccurate term. Many states are observing a "shelter in place" request from the governors of said states.

My bad. You're right.

Here most people are working, shopping, fishing, doing everything as normal. We've been  in shelter in place since last Saturday. I don't think people realize the meaning & nothing is being enforced. We only have 20 people sick here total & the 1 person from here that died, lived somewhere else, got sick somewhere else, & died somewhere else. I'm still not sure why we're counting that death. He didn't even live in the state & wasn't here when he got sick.

As for a lockdown, I do know what people mean (shelter in place) when they say it. I also understand what we're actually under, but some places in Tenn are under a curfew. I do consider that a lockdown. Am I incorrect in that thinking?

if groceries are needed, one of us goes alone

Same here. The people in stores are crazy right now. I kid you not. I also saw a large family riding bicycles the other day. They had stopped at a business & about 7-8 small kids were all touching all over people's cars. The adults were ignoring them. One child was riding in circles in the road with cars coming both ways. Some people have no clue. We live by a lake & I have also seen people out fishing every day. Not sure if it's for food or pleasure, but the kids swimming kinda tell me a different story.

Right now, it's shelter in place, but I see a lot of things that I am questioning, such as the big reduction in deaths from the flu, heart disease, etc...In other words, everything is being chalked up to caronavirus. Also, I'm paying close attention to the possible announcement of a "for your own good" order....Such as that "lockdown" mentioned or worse, martial law. Once rights are taken from you, when an event is over, some of those rights are never returned and they expect you to accept it....for your own future good.

Totally agree with you there on both counts.