Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Cathedral dusts off St Corona relics

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

"Aachen, Germany (Reuters) - Germany's Aachen Cathedral has dug out the relics of little-known Saint Corona, patron saint of resisting epidemics, from its treasure chamber and is polishing up her elaborate shrine to go on show once the coronavirus pandemic has passed.

"The pandemic, confirmed to have infected nearly half a million people worldwide, including more than 30,000 in Germany, has boosted public interest in the Christian martyr, believed to have been killed by the Romans around 1,800 years ago."

Full monty at AOL UK: Link

Saint Corona: Wikipedia

Snopes: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Piney

Corona is especially venerated in Austria and eastern Bavaria. She is invoked in connection with superstitions involving money, such as gambling and treasure hunting.[7]

Otto III, around AD 1000, brought Corona's relics to Aachen in western Germany. Though there is little evidence of her being invoked against epidemics, Reuters reported in 2020 that she was "patron saint of epidemics," and that her relics will be available for public veneration "once the coronavirus pandemic has passed."[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_and_Corona

So her invoke was revoked and now she has a new one........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Eldorado
1 minute ago, Piney said:

It's a fake news story, say Snopes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Piney
2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

It's a fake news story, say Snopes.

Along with the 500 lions being directed by cosmic rays to kill North Korean coronavirus patients as predicted by Nostrodamus to the Russians.....

• Haha 5

Orphalesion
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Piney said:

Espeically venerated in Bavarria and Austria? I've no recollection at all of having ever heard of St. Corona/Stephanie during my entire childhood. Then again, with all those saints I might have just forgotten.

But this kinda touches on one thing I hate especially about this pandemic (aside from all the obvious reasons) it has tainted a very beautiful word, describing the glow visible around the moon during Solar Eclipse. 
The same thing happened when ISIS started popping up, tainting the name of a very fascinating goddess.

Edit: What I could find on her on the German web (with literary sources) is that St. Corona/Stephana was/is mostly associated with money, since her name mean Crown (like the medieval coins). And it appears that, yes, in one village in Austria (which also bears her name) people used to pray to her to protect them/their farms from bad weather, crop failures and sickness...among the livestock. 
So she was basically the ersatz Corn Mother-esque Goddess of that village and it's inhabitants prayed to for all sorts of stuff.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Golden Duck

Corona-The_Rhythm_of_the_Night.jpg

• Haha 3

MissJatti
Posted (edited)

st CORONA and the CORONAvirus

Edited by MissJatti
  • Like 1

jmccr8