Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Living in Your Mind"

ergablerg

Has there ever been records of people being so absorbed in content they create in their mind (ex: fictional worlds or realities) that they are completely unaware of what is happening outside of the mindscape? How long were they in the state? This seems like something that has been explored by both real people and fiction, but I was having difficulty finding answers due to my lack of resources and difficulty finding the correct way to world it in my internet search. Links to helpful sources and a general point in the right direction greatly appreciated. Also open to discuss, apologies if replies are slow.

I have seen some YouTubers get so lost in it for years, then it backfired and their real life's came tumbling back in and ruined their fake existence on it! There is nothing good about having two different personas, it can come back and haunt you.

• Like 1

Samadhi, Satori, Moksha...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ergablerg said:

Has there ever been records of people being so absorbed in content they create in their mind (ex: fictional worlds or realities) that they are completely unaware of what is happening outside of the mindscape? How long were they in the state? This seems like something that has been explored by both real people and fiction, but I was having difficulty finding answers due to my lack of resources and difficulty finding the correct way to world it in my internet search. Links to helpful sources and a general point in the right direction greatly appreciated. Also open to discuss, apologies if replies are slow.

Hi ergableg

To have a mind that lives would be not unlike a body that is alive, it is open to sense experience and try to interpret it within the known aspects of what sanity is. That said and acid trip that lasted for several years in the late 70's did test those boundaries quite vigorously and with enthusiasm and found that there is no greater illusion than self given certain criteria.

To a large part depending on what your human contact range is or lack of desire to talk to oneself some spend more time living in their heads than others but that is not a measure of sanity per although it may affect the level of discussion that I would be willing to engage in if I thought we were all sane self included.:D:tu:

jmccr8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Samadhi, Satori, Moksha...

Hi quiXilver

And I thought watching my plants grow for the last 2 weeks was visually stimulating and you said that.:lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ergablerg said:

All people are 100% absorbed within the contents of their minds.

The experience called reality is not what is out there, its our brains interpretation of whats out that based on electrical signals from our senses combined with the processing of sensory perception. Human beings are like submarines. What is on the sonar screen is not what is outside the sub, its a very limited and distorted version of what exists outside the sub.

Human sensory perception is exactly the same.

8 hours ago, ergablerg said:

This is one area

Absorption is a disposition or personality trait in which a person becomes absorbed in their mental imagery, particularly fantasy.[1] This trait thus correlates highly with a fantasy-prone personality

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_(psychology)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ergablerg said:

Welcome to the forum.  There was a user here a while back that claimed he had that problem.  Can't remember his handle though.  Search for "Day Dreaming" and see if you can find his posts.   It is something I think is strange and my first impulse was to say "Yes, it is called a comma."  but this guy I mentioned claimed he could not control it, which I find strange.

:st

I think our personal experiences create our perception of the world outside, and no matter how hard we try to view the world more positively or more realistically we can't because we can't change our experiences or our perceptions based on those experiences. We may not 'live in our mind' but we live according to our minds view of the world. 

2 hours ago, RoseDancer said:

I think our personal experiences create our perception of the world outside, and no matter how hard we try to view the world more positively or more realistically we can't because we can't change our experiences or our perceptions based on those experiences. We may not 'live in our mind' but we live according to our minds view of the world. 

I know that is not true because I have done it.  How we feel about the experiences at the time they happen color our memory of them, but if we want to quit reliving the pain then we are able to change our mind about the experience. 

We all do live in our minds, not the way the OP describes, but everything we experience is filtered by our bias, fears, and hopes so when we have an uncomfortable or painful experience we tend to hang on to the memories that cause that experience to be relived over and over as if it just happened.  So, 40 years later if we have not found a way to remove the triggers from that experience it colors/overshadows every similar experience causing a trigger reaction.  Each of us has the power to defuse that trigger by examining the emotions attached and changing our thought patterns about the emotions and the old thoughts that keep coming back.  EFT is a tool that can make this go faster, but I have done it without that by purposely recognizing and changing the thoughts that come up.

Please consider that you are not a lowly human but a very powerful human and the fact that you continue to experience something that happened in the past is proof of that, and proof that you have another choice.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

On 3/27/2020 at 11:04 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Welcome to the forum.  There was a user here a while back that claimed he had that problem.  Can't remember his handle though.  Search for "Day Dreaming" and see if you can find his posts.   It is something I think is strange and my first impulse was to say "Yes, it is called a comma."  but this guy I mentioned claimed he could not control it, which I find strange.

:st

https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/maladaptive-daydreaming

I know who you're think about and this was his problem. He didn't want to face his life's problems so instead he just withdrew into his inner world. Kinda sad really. He's perma-banned too. Lot of anger in him.

• Thanks 1