Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU meltdown.

hetrodoxly

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

It was the perfect reply to your choplogic.

What else would you describe as perfect about yourself?

Just now, stevewinn said:

So no attempt by yourself to answer question, how much does financial services attribute to the UK economy. see your alright flapping your gums but no substance.

The UK was a globalised economy before the EU and have remained so.

Funny how little Englanders are championing new and furthering trade deals with countries around the world. with countries the EU doesn't even have deals with. -  including offering the EU a FTA.

see where back to the small minded Croatian mindset.

You tell me, when you put financial market aside, what's your worth? 

What do you eat that wasn't subsidized by the EU or imported? 

Who isn't globalised today? 

Where are those peachy new trade deals? Dog ate them? 

Yeah, small minded Croatian... while you're crapping your pants when you as much as think of your own neighbours.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Helen of Annoy said:

You tell me, when you put financial market aside, what's your worth? 

What do you eat that wasn't subsidized by the EU or imported? 

Who isn't globalised today? 

Where are those peachy new trade deals? Dog ate them? 

Yeah, small minded Croatian... while you're crapping your pants when you as much as think of your own neighbours.  

Its only right you answer my question first. you said, "because without EU funds you've got nothing except stock market. You can't eat stocks" my question how much does the Financial centre contribute to the UK economy? you answer this and all your own questions will be answered also. 

Croatian economy is not classed as globalised economy. international movement of goods, capital, services, technology Science, including Air travel and global shipping routes to all the continents.  

Trade deals can be found on the UK.Gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries

When it comes to food, the NUF reckons that UK producers can feed 70% of the populations needs at current production levels.  the UK won't be cut off, Nor will we be cut off from the rest of the world where foodstuff comes in by ship (there are no U-Boats in this game, shipping will continue)

We have hundreds of thousands of professionals working in logistics and food supply. Thousands of companies, hundreds of thousands of people, tens of thousands of vehicles, millions of square feet of warehousing, containers ports, international logistics routes All dedicated to moving food to the end consumer, all highly professional.
This is the day job of tens of thousands of people.

When all this is all over come visit the UK broaden your horizons. We do things here on scales you wont be able to comprehend, the United Kingdom is a behemoth,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

What else would you describe as perfect about yourself?

Is this supposed to have a meaning? 

The fishes knees are sailing at midnight.

• Haha 2

anyway.

Whats the difference between the people in Dubai and the people in Adu-Dhabi

The people in Dubai don't like the Flinstones but the people in Adu-Dhabi-doo

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@stevewinn All right, I'll answer my own question since you're not sure about your party guidelines about that particular issue: 

The service sector dominates, contributing around 80% of GDP;[41] the financial services industry is particularly important, and London is the second-largest financial centre in the world

Stock market and housing various corporations, which is as fragile as one pandemic will show you, and you've got 20% of actual economy left.  

You also rely on reselling the goods you imported, which means you're dependent on China. 

Which makes your PM's recent trumpesque accusations against China not only tasteless but also rather suicidal. 

You'll have no agriculture once you stop drawing rivers of money out of EU funds - unless you'll keep contributing to them so you can benefit from them, in which case I trust you'll collectively jump off cliffs of Dover in protest. 

Oh, yes, transport too. See 'lack of any idea how that will work once you actually get out of the EU' and COVID too. 

But enough about the parasitic nature of your economy. 

The thread was supposed to make you Brexiters feel better, by childishly misinterpreting usual, democratic way in which the EU functions as some imaginary proof it's melting down. 

It's my pleasure to rub your noses into the fact that you're so pathetic with your malice, your desperate need to see animosity among Europeans. 

If you truly believe you're not only self-sufficient, but also called to manipulate the world no less, then why do you care so much about Europe? Are you not getting out, hopefully in less than a year?    

But you'll rather publicly prematurely gloat, showing everyone just how sound is that platform of yours. 

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

@stevewinn All right, I'll answer my own question since you're not sure about your party guidelines about that particular issue: 

Stock market and housing various corporations, which is as fragile as one pandemic will show you, and you've got 20% of actual economy left.  

You also rely on reselling the goods you imported, which means you're dependent on China. 

Which makes your PM's recent trumpesque accusations against China not only tasteless but also rather suicidal. 

You'll have no agriculture once you stop drawing rivers of money out of EU funds - unless you'll keep contributing to them so you can benefit from them, in which case I trust you'll collectively jump off cliffs of Dover in protest. 

Oh, yes, transport too. See 'lack of any idea how that will work once you actually get out of the EU' and COVID too. 

But enough about the parasitic nature of your economy. 

The thread was supposed to make you Brexiters feel better, by childishly misinterpreting usual, democratic way in which the EU functions as some imaginary proof it's melting down. 

It's my pleasure to rub your noses into the fact that you're so pathetic with your malice, your desperate need to see animosity among Europeans. 

If you truly believe you're not only self-sufficient, but also called to manipulate the world no less, then why do you care so much about Europe? Are you not getting out, hopefully in less than a year?    

But you'll rather publicly prematurely gloat, showing everyone just how sound is that platform of yours. 

Wrong. try again. Financial services are what Percentage of the UK economy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Wrong. try again. Financial services are what Percentage of the UK economy.

It's only wrong from your propaganda point of view. The fact is 80% of your economy are services - mostly financial and marketing services. The objective point is that your economy is parasitic by nature so it's going to crash in pandemic. You'll wish so hard you didn't show your gaping hole at the worst moment in recent history. 

Edited by Helen of Annoy
Besides, go back on topic, which is desperate Brexiter need to 'prove' that the EU is failing.
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

BTW: 30% of food consumed in the UK in 2017 was imported from EU countries. Duty/taxes will apply from 2021 on, resulting in higher prices for UK customers.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Helen of Annoy said:

It's only wrong from your propaganda point of view. The fact is 80% of your economy are services - mostly financial and marketing services. The objective point is that your economy is parasitic by nature so it's going to crash in pandemic. You'll wish so hard you didn't show your gaping hole at the worst moment in recent history. 

Financial services 7% of GDP.

Like many your confusing services and financial services such as the person serving you in McDonalds, or the sales person behind the till at the supermarket or the delivery driver.or the train driver. etc...

Or put it another way.

• UK services (excluding Financial) 71% of GDP
  • Germany Services (excluding Financial) 68.9% of GDP
  • French Services (excluding financial) 77.4% of GDP.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, toast said:

BTW: 30% of food consumed in the UK in 2017 was imported from EU countries. Duty/taxes will apply from 2021 on, resulting in higher prices for UK customers.

in fact the EU exported more food to the UK than it did to the rest of the World combined. Such is the UK a good customer.

Has someone told you that farmers and food producers in the EU are going to stop selling to the UK?

• Like 1

@stevewinn, it was crystal clear from the quote I gave you that 

The service sector dominates, contributing around 80% of GDP;[41] the financial services industry is particularly important, and London is the second-largest financial centre in the world

so no, financial are not the only services you've got, but either you know better than Wiki, either you don't read my posts at all. 

Exact percentage doesn't matter, what matters is that globalised as you are, you're screwed in COVID crisis, especially since you created chaos for yourself and any partner you are hoping for. 

And that's not the topic. 

The topic is apparent desperate need among Brexiters to wish the EU into oblivion. 

Care to explain why? 

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

It looks like we'll have to go elsewhere. 

indeed, im sure the farmers and food producers in the EU wont like to see their market share in the UK decrease. just look at the panic with their fishermen.

Its not hard to swap out EU goods. a small example we like grapes, in our weekly shop we know buy grapes from Brazil. taste better as well grown in true tropical soil. having our dinner later runner beans from Egypt. Welsh leg of Lamb, English Roasties, carrots, turnip, washed down by either British white wine or Australian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, toast said:

Ummmm... no ? Why would the UK put tarrifs on food imports ?  Don't forget that - as a free country - is is the UK Government that decides on want duty/tax level to place on imports, and NOT Brussels/Strasbourg.  

27 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

5 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

so no, financial are not the only services you've got, but either you know better than Wiki, either you don't read my posts at all. 

Exact percentage doesn't matter, what matters is that globalised as you are, you're screwed in COVID crisis, especially since you created chaos for yourself and any partner you are hoping for. 

The topic is apparent desperate need among Brexiters to wish the EU into oblivion. 

Care to explain why? 

Umm... @Helen of Annoy, you appear to be flogging a dead horse there ? Financial Services account for about 7% of GDP. There is no particular reason why that would be effected by COVID. The larger "service sector" .. everything from truck drivers to supermarket checkout staff ... WILL be effected, though the government is trying to minimise the impact. 

But then, that is true of every country, including your own ? Your own service sector is about 60% of GDP ? So I'm afraid I don't get your point ? 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

indeed, im sure the farmers and food producers in the EU wont like to see their market share in the UK decrease. just look at the panic with their fishermen.

Its not hard to swap out EU goods. a small example we like grapes, in our weekly shop we know buy grapes from Brazil. taste better as well grown in true tropical soil. having our dinner later runner beans from Egypt. Welsh leg of Lamb, English Roasties, carrots, turnip, washed down by either British white wine or Australian.

I've already started to be selective with my shopping, my apples this week came from Africa, i was tempted by some Dutch flowers for the wife but not being essential i did't buy them, the girl at the checkout said they also have flowers from Africa so i'll look for them in future, i hear the Japanese will take all our surpless fish, we'll have to increase the fleets, good time to be a boat builder.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Care to explain why? 

It was crystal clear from your posts and edited posts, that you didn't know the answer.

once the facts have been posted above, you'll see the UK service sector is perfectly in line with those of Germany and France.

today you have learnt that Financial services unlike you claimed are not the majority of the 80% service industry. but in fact only 7% of GDP. you've learnt something new.

So go make your point again, you said

40 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

The fact is 80% of your economy are services - mostly financial and marketing services.

what 7% GDP.

19 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

So now you've been corrected. percentages don't matter. how convenient. 

So were screwed because our economy and services. have you told German and France their screwed also?

• UK services (excluding Financial) 71% of GDP
  • Germany Services (excluding Financial) 68.9% of GDP
  • French Services (excluding financial) 77.4% of GDP.

12 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

I've already started to be selective with my shopping, my apples this week came from Africa, i was tempted by some Dutch flowers for the wife but not being essential i did't buy them, the girl at the checkout said they also have flowers from Africa so i'll look for them in future, i hear the Japanese will take all our surpless fish, we'll have to increase the fleets, good time to be a boat builder.  

And how easy as it been. in fact im surprised how so little of the food we consume came from the EU and then it was mainly from Ireland. with the odd bit of pasta or break sticks from Italy. the odd bit of French Cheese. We switched to South African Oranges a long time ago, as the EU equivalent looked like diabetic oranges in both colour and taste. 

The question is will the EU be able to compete in the British market against world competition with no Customs union to protect them. The answer must clearly be no as the EU seeks to keep the UK from being competitive.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Has someone told you that farmers and food producers in the EU are going to stop selling to the UK?

That wasnt my point. My point was EU products become more expensive in the UK in future.

Just now, toast said:

That wasnt my point. My point was EU products become more expensive in the UK in future.

have you seen the UK's tariff Schedule. 

29 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummmm... no ? Why would the UK put tarrifs on food imports ?  Don't forget that - as a free country - is is the UK Government that decides on want duty/tax level to place on imports, and NOT Brussels/Strasbourg. 

Do do really think Boris isnt interested in to protect domestic food production and to cash on imports from EU countries?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toast said:

Do do really think Boris isnt interested in to protect domestic food production and to cash on imports from EU countries?

Perhaps, but that is a UK decision. If he goes for it, then it is POSSIBLE that SOME foodstuffs might become more expensive. But then, it is also possible that SOME foodstuffs become LESS expensive, as we will be allowed to import on the open market, something that the EU does NOT permit us to do at the moment. 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Umm... @Helen of Annoy, you appear to be flogging a dead horse there ? Financial Services account for about 7% of GDP. There is no particular reason why that would be effected by COVID. The larger "service sector" .. everything from truck drivers to supermarket checkout staff ... WILL be effected, though the government is trying to minimise the impact. 

But then, that is true of every country, including your own ? Your own service sector is about 60% of GDP ? So I'm afraid I don't get your point ? 

Oh, I'm just here to irritate the semi-dynamic Brexiter duo by farting in their echo-chamber :D  

The point is that a country that is relying on services and has no own production (everything you resell was imported from China) can't start imagining any isolationism, because you'll literally run out of food (that comes from the EU or its production was subsidized by the EU) and out of money (since you're reselling, not really producing, which is already stalling as the global transport is stalling and it will be worse and no one is insane to suddenly offer you better deals than the EU has).  

Drastically - EU won't profit from export in the UK anymore, but UK won't have enough of food for its population and/or it will be too expensive and of dubious quality. 

Drastic case wouldn't normally happen (real Brexit wouldn't normally happen, except in propaganda sense), but if you add COVID at current rate, and we have to do that, apparently, and recent bizarre Johnson's verbal attack on China - EU can withstand global disruption because it can in fact produce everything it needs and that what logistically has to stay in China is guaranteed to arrive because the relations with China are not damaged by any trumpian attacks by anyone in the EU.

Low oil price lowers Russian enthusiasm too, so they will act very EU-friendly for a while. Etc. 

In other words, EU includes members that might be despised by British snobs, but we can produce all the food any member needs and EU business strategy aims at partnerships, not bullying or impressing the world with colonial past. 

If the real crisis develops because of COVID, as it is realistically possible, the members of the EU will be the priority to the EU. If real crisis develops, brands won't matter anymore, meat and vegetables will. I know you can't imagine such times, so you should trust me, but you won't so you'll have to learn it the harder way. 

But that's all off topic. 

The topic is, how can Brexiters not notice that their tasteless public invoking of EU breakdown clearly shows just how desperate they are and just how immoral is that particular brand of chauvinism that finds satisfaction in problems of others? 

Brexiters are political equivalent of that one gossiping neighbour who announces imminent divorces, while being divorced herself.        

8 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

But that's all off topic. 

The topic is, how can Brexiters not notice that their tasteless public invoking of EU breakdown clearly shows just how desperate they are and just how immoral is that particular brand of chauvinism that finds satisfaction in problems of others? 

Brexiters are political equivalent of that one gossiping neighbour who announces imminent divorces, while being divorced herself.        

I have yet to figure out why you are so obsessed about Britain being independent and afraid that it might rise again??? Please enlighten us.

If you think its a mistake then its our mistake to make. We know better than to listen to doomsayers. 

23 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

But then, it is also possible that SOME foodstuffs become LESS expensive, as we will be allowed to import on the open market, something that the EU does NOT permit us to do at the moment. 

If I understand you correctly you are of the opinion that the UK had to ask the EU for an allowance to import food stuff from the open market? What did you had for lunch today, chlorine chicken?

• The topic was locked