Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hunting exoplanets

Waspie_Dwarf

Earth’s own evolution used as guide to hunt exoplanets

Cornell astronomers have created five models representing key points from our planet’s evolution, like chemical snapshots through Earth’s own geologic epochs.

They will use them as spectral templates in the hunt for Earth-like planets in distant solar systems in the approaching new era of powerful telescopes.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Cornell University

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

What a great and genius idea! Most of us laymen think of an "Earth-like" or "habitable" planet as one where we humans could jump right in and live on now. A planet that looks like our own Big Blue Marble, with nearly identical atmospheric composition and ambient temperature. 

Here's a even more awesome concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhabitable_planet

Just now, Tuco's Gas said:

Sounds like a tropical paradise! Warmer, more islands and less larger landmasses, more humidity, more marine life. And almost double the oxygen content of our biosphere. That would likely give us more stamina and maybe better health. Win win.

But no technology. Too much O2 and you can't control fire. 

34 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

That would likely give us more stamina and maybe better health.

No it wouldn't. Extended periods of breathing higher than normal concentrations of oxygen can lead to oxygen toxicity. This can cause nausea, confusion, damage to the eyes, central nervous system. Eventually it can be fatal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

No it wouldn't. Extended periods of breathing higher than normal concentrations of oxygen can lead to oxygen toxicity. This can cause nausea, confusion, damage to the eyes, central nervous system. Eventually it can be fatal.

I forgot about that part.

The UK government conducted some serious experiments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

15 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

I was wondering about that and almost added a Q on it in OP: how much Oxy % in an atmosphere to render it flammable?  Or combustible?  Whatever the correct term to describe a spark being able to cause a Fire Storm? I'm guessing it's over 35% which is what was mentioned in article as Super Habitable. That's quite rich but not even double our current 22%. 

Atmospheric pressure would be higher too and I don't even know.