Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could we live in a world without rules?

Eldorado

"We all feel the oppressive presence of rules, both written and unwritten – it’s practically a rule of life.

"Public spaces, organisations, dinner parties, even relationships and casual conversations are rife with regulations and red tape that seemingly are there to dictate our every move.

"We rail against rules being an affront to our freedom, and argue that they’re “there to be broken”.

"But as a behavioural scientist I believe that it is not really rules, norms and customs in general that are the problem – but the unjustified ones.

"The tricky and important bit, perhaps, is establishing the difference between the two."

Full article at The Conversation: Link

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not for long.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

FWIW, I'm a Locke guy. Here's a brief but pretty comprehensive summation of their philosophies...

'ere ya go... 

[00.03:07]

~

• Like 3

No we can not.

But there are rules and there are rules.

Even communes and anarchist groups have rules.

At the moment in the marina we are in lockdown, we have rules which were put in place by the owners, now we have our own rules in place by the boaters. Some not much different. 

We have to have rules, it does not mean  all are from the government.

If you have no rules, you have anarchy and riots. 

• Like 2

We do need rules/laws. Who wants to return to the Wild West. Or live life like The Lord Of The Flies. But I agree, there are rules and there are rules. The real question is do we trust those who are making those decisions about our lives. Perhaps we give the powers that be too much power. The only voice we lesser beings seem to have is in voting. But even that doesn't work anymore.  

Most of the time I go with the majority and hope they know what the **** they're doing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has any one seen " The Purge".....

Watch "The Purge Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey Thriller HD" on YouTube

Edited by Jujo-jo
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 4:57 AM, acute said:

'Common sense' rules have to be in place, but I could never live in Japan. They have etiquette for everything!

Well acute, Japanese etiquette might just stem from a time  when it was common sense to be polite and predictable when in the presence of men that could take offense and cut you in half with a sword.

• Like 2

This quote by Michael Caine from the movie, The Dark Knight seems relevant for this!

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

Michael Caine

• Like 1

I am sure we started out in that type of world and immediately realized we needed rules.  in a world of at least two humans, you need rules.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 3:29 AM, Eldorado said:

Could we live in a world without rules?

As long as a person remains with the current dualistic mind, he needs laws, and when a person opens the mind of truth, he will follow him and not formal laws.
The spirit was before the law.

7 hours ago, Coil said:

The spirit was before the law.

Spirit didn't waste much time before setting out a bunch of them though.

44 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Spirit didn't waste much time before setting out a bunch of them though.

The man was given the basic 10 commandments and all earthly laws are derived from them.