Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Freak Show' Job Advert Causes Outrage

UM-Bot

A job advertisement seeking human "freaks" including a bearded woman and a rubber person for a 19th century-style sideshow has upset human rights campaigners in Australia. Corporate Theatre Productions, a theatrical production company, has received six replies to the advertisement it first ran last Saturday in the state of Western Australia, the manager, Geoffrey Swan, said on Thursday.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• j6p

• schadeaux

• UM-Bot

• Bizarro

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh how time flies. Seems like only yesterday that it was cool for Neil Young to be singing, "letting my freak flag fly" and now its a no no to say the word.

Political correctness is such a waste.

ive never seen anything wrong with 'freak' shows. in fact, i think they make people confront their own ignorance. if the 'freak' has no problem being a part of the show, there is no reason it should cause a problem.

A while back there was a big blowout (in the US at least) about a law being discussed (I forget if it was state or fed) to outlaw midget tossing blink.gif and midget wrestling. It was the midgets that were most vocal againts that law. Those "sports" were how they made their living, so to outlaw it would destroy their livelyhood.

As for "freaks" I really have not heard a lot of true to life sob stories about them. Most seemed very content to do whatever they did. I even saw on TV about a community that was almost exlusively for retired "side show freaks." Exclusive not because they had no where else to go, but because they had made it THEIR community.

Besides, what is really considered a "freak" today? huh.gif

I recall an old Rod Serling-Twlight Zone where the whole show was a girl in a hospital bed and fretting about the plastic surgery that was performed on her. The Doctors and nurses were consoling her that she should have hope that this operation worked. All the previous ones failed and this was her last opreation that she could have to be normal. You never saw the hospital staff just their backs, no faces. Well, they finally took off the bandages only to reveal a beautiful face but everyone gasped in horror and shied away saying it didn't work. Then the shot panned out to show their faces and they were disfigured but in their world they were normal and she was the freak. The name of the episode was "The eye of the beholder" I think.

Good memory, j6p! I remember that episode, too. The girl was finally exiled to a village to be with others "of her own kind." She was turned over to this studley hunk that she (and the medical staff) thought was repulsive.

Yeah I saw that J6P I think it was on the sci-fi channel once. It really makes you think doesn't it.....

Just by coincidence, the 'Twilight Zone' program on the UPN network is going to be showing a newer version of "the eye of the beholder" tonight, 7pm eastern, 8pm central.

MM