Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY Governor opposes potential quarantine orde

_Only

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday in an interview with CNN that he didn't believe a possible New York quarantine was legal and that it would be a "federal declaration of war" after President Donald Trump said he was considering such a tactic for the New York metro area as US coronavirus cases increase.

"It would be chaos and mayhem," Cuomo told CNN's Ana Cabrera. "It's totally opposite everything he's been saying. I don't think it is plausible. I don't think it is legal."
More than 52,000 of the nation's over 113,000 coronavirus cases have been reported in New York state alone. And officials are forecasting that the apex of the pandemic there is still 14 to 21 days away.
"This would be a federal declaration of war on states," Cuomo said, adding that he doesn't think the President is looking to start a war with states.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/politics/cuomo-ny-quarantine-cnntv/index.html

Proof positive of what I and others had expected, not only does Trump get blasted for supposedly not doing enough, but potentially whatever right actions Trump does take will be equally hated by those who sit on the other political side, him being in a no win scenario with the about 50% U.S. population who hates him for political reasons.

To those like Cuomo, it seems he will always be an indecisive, flippant coward if he doesn't act, and an uncaring, evil dictator enacting war on his own country if he does choose logical, rational actions.

Cuomo threatens to sue the President if he did go forward with an executive order, but to be fair, this guy is also threatening to sue New Jersey for also asking that New Yorker not pile into their state. He is out of line, and needs to understand his state is carrying the highest number of infections in the whole country (by far), and it must be dealt with. At this point, maybe I suggest he sue the virus, who has in fact declared all out war on his state's population.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The gorilla has made their intent here  in thread clear then and can be ignored.

If anyone else then wants to discuss this real scenario that is playing out, trying to exclude unecxessary and unfruitful political views, instead including non politically based opinions, like how or why anyone involved is right or wrong, and how this type of situation can/should play out, we can try to cut the rude, immature political posters by the wayside. They have another forum area for all that.

This is a new facet to this huge virus issue for our country right now, one I saw coming. What should happen from here? How do we deal with a dangerous p***ing match started by a Governor? He appears to have scared the President off, which I found distressing as well. This issue needs to be pressed, but I understand if this guy just basically challenged his leader to war over it, hoo boy, should the President back off? What does he expect to gain, or is 9 just illogically defending his state here? Or is the President out of line here? What alternate plan should he be thinking of?

Edited by _Only

9 minutes ago, _Only said:

The gorilla has made their intent here  in thread clear then and can be ignored.

If anyone else then wants to discuss this real scenario that is playing out, trying to exclude unecxessary and unfruitful political views, instead including non politically based opinions, like how or why anyone involved is right or wrong, and how this type of situation can/should play out, we can try to cut the rude, immature political posters by the wayside. They have another forum area for all that.

This is a new facet to this huge virus issue for our country right now, one I saw coming. What should happen from here? How do we deal with a dangerous p***ing match started by a Governor? He appears to have scared the President off, which I found distressing as well. This issue needs to be pressed, but I understand if this guy just basically challenged his leader to war over it, hoo boy, should the President back off? What does he expect to gain, or is 9 just illogically defending his state here? Or is the President out of line here? What alternate plan should he be thinking of?

It's gna be okay man... relax

Escape-From-New-York-Review_20200329224643055.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nah... I have every confidence he's going to come out of this ****storm smelling like a rose.  It's uncanny but it's what he does.  I have no explanation for it but I've seen him succeed too often where ANYONE ELSE would have failed and fallen.  Make of that what you will.  It is what it is.

6 hours ago, and then said:

Nah... I have every confidence he's going to come out of this **** storm smelling like a rose.  It's uncanny but it's what he does.  I have no explanation for it but I've seen him succeed too often where ANYONE ELSE would have failed and fallen.  Make of that what you will.  It is what it is.

I mean, you're not wrong. He could admitted to all the crimes he's accused of and his fanbase would still vote for him.

1 hour ago, _Only said:

Or is the President out of line here?

He'd be out of line if he were doing it for political reasons.  He obviously is not.  There is a verifiable exodus of potentially infected New Yorkers flooding into Florida and bringing the contagion with them.  Since the president backed off, it will be up to Governor DeSantis to act to stop the very real threat to his citizens.  If the flow continues, those coming from NY or Louisiana need to be forcibly quarantined if they violate the travel warning of the CDC.

My "NEXT DOOR" group posted a notice that the Florida line that adjoins our community will have checkpoints as of today screening for vehicles from NY or Louisiana.  DeSantis has my support with this.  Playing politics and causing deaths is unforgivable.  This HAS TO STOP.

• Like 1

Cuomo reminds me of Hudson, when confronted with his state’s sad truth. He’s a worse coward than Trump, wanting all the ventilators in the national reserve for New York, when the rest of the nation are only two weeks behind them.

They are an “incubus.”  They need to be sealed off, for now. It’s stupid to allow New Yorkers to seed the rest of the country. Let food in, but let no one out.

• Like 1

I really do wonder what Cuomo's intent is here, and want to precisely understand his reasoning, though going as far as he did in defiance is above and beyond. 

I think what I would do in this very odd, volatile situation as President (that needs to be resolved, for important viral reasons) is call all state Governors in for a discussion, so all can reach a decision together about this with a majority vote, on how to deal with this state vs. federal standoff that could repeat in other states as the virus potentially spreads in a huge wave from New York (as New Jersey might already be seeing).

But this 'this is war' response from Cuomo is insane and needs to be addressed. That is not the way to go about responding, and again, I don't understand his reasoning. If it really is political, it's a sad, scary day. 

edit: The more I think about his reactions, though, I don't think that's it. He also is lashing out at New Jersey's governor for same reasons. The more I look at it, Cuomo seems to be illogically defending his state's honor or something. Either he really believes a no out of state travel order (unless needed, and then travelers likely would be tested and cleared) would bring an apocalypse in his state, or he is perhaps trying to save his state's image irrationally, which would be an insane reaction/mentality.

But maybe I'm missing a potential point of why he is pushing against a potential quarantine.

At any rate, he picked the worst way to go about it, and may end up in history books as a fool. 

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the beginning of his words here, i think it says a lot. It really does appear he has an illogical viewpoint that this virus will spread of its own will and there's nothing you other states can do about it, when he could have a hand in hurting it's spread.

He really does appear to be putting his state's public image above taking important actions in fighting the spread when his state is on the front line.

It almost seems he wants to see other states have it happen. 

• Like 2

So far, Cuomo has the upper hand in the comparrison with Trump. I am not a fan of Cuomo because of other unrelated reasons and I do dislike him but as of yet he proved to be a real man unlike baby-t.

Scientists and Doctors agree with him, or better yet, Cuomo has enough brains to realize that Doctors and Science are leading this battle not politicians.

3 hours ago, odas said:

Scientists and Doctors agree with him, or better yet, Cuomo has enough brains to realize that Doctors and Science are leading this battle not politicians.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly here. Are you referring to whether or not people should be allowed in/out of the state while the viral numbers are still rising, or were you referencing something different but related? 

5 hours ago, _Only said:

In the beginning of his words here, i think it says a lot. It really does appear he has an illogical viewpoint that this virus will spread of its own will and there's nothing you other states can do about it, when he could have a hand in hurting it's spread.

He really does appear to be putting his state's public image above taking important actions in fighting the spread when his state is on the front line.

It almost seems he wants to see other states have it happen. 

Typical arrogant Yankee, wanting all the nations reserve ventilators, and then promising to divvy them out to the other states, whenever they don’t need them. He makes me sick, just listening to his bs.

11 minutes ago, _Only said:

I'm not sure what you mean exactly here. Are you referring to whether or not people should be allowed in/out of the state while the viral numbers are still rising, or were you referencing something different but related? 

I'm not sure either. The teachers had to threaten to strike before he would close the schools.

NYC teachers union threatens lawsuit if schools still open Monday amid coronavirus spread

The city teachers union threatened Sunday to file a lawsuit if schools remain open on Monday amid widespread fear of the coronavirus spread.

“If the city does not close this school system down and start working with the parents and the community on plans to really move us in a better place, we will be going to the Supreme Court tomorrow," United Federation of Teachers president Michael Mulgrew said at a press conference Sunday.

Mulgrew accused city officials of not complying with state protocol on school closures — which mandates 24-hour shutdowns if a student or staff member tests positive — and creating unsafe labor conditions.

cont...

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-uft-school-sick-out-coronavirus-20200315-6qjjfxiyazdwvjxy5lkneyecsu-story.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Only said:

All in one the handling of the situation. Cuomo is always a few steps ahead of Trump. Likely because he understands and listens to the professionals around him while Trump has a hard time admiting that there are smarter people than him. 

11 minutes ago, odas said:

All in one the handling of the situation. Cuomo is always a few steps ahead of Trump. Likely because he understands and listens to the professionals around him while Trump has a hard time admiting that there are smarter people than him. 

But did you read the OP? He thinks a quarantine of the nation's worst affected state by far is a bad idea. Quarantining affected virus carriers is not only what scientists and doctors are promoting, but what everyone is promoting, which is why his response is so surprising, and why your comment here was so confusing to me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, _Only said:

But did you read the OP? He thinks a quarantine of the nation's worst affected state by far is a bad idea. Quarantining affected virus carriers is not only what scientists and doctors are promoting, but what everyone is promoting, which is why his response is so surprising, and why your comment here was so confusing to me.

Yes. I did. Quarantining is the way to go. Now go back a few weeks, month, ago and look what has been said by Cuomo about the pandemic and what has been said by Trump.

NOW, just now when it is too late, Trump wants to, no it is not a quarantine Trump wants, he wants to shut up Cuomo.

I admit, I do not know how legal or illigal a unilateral shut down of a US state is by the federal government. Please, anyone, let me know.

This is the essence of this issue. The unwillingless of the President of USA to effectivly comunicate with State Governors, unless it is with the ones who suck up to him. 

An example here out of Canada. Just a month ago there was bad blood between Trudeau and premiers of Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba. There was even talk about a seperation. Fast forward to now. ALL province premiers and Trudeau talk every day, coordinating together every move. Moving help where it is needed NOW the most. They act like one. No politics and no show off mucles, threats and concerns about ratings.

Trudaeu will get my vote as well as the conservative Ford in Ontario. This is what it means to be ONE Country.

Edited by odas

4 hours ago, odas said:

Yes. I did. Quarantining is the way to go.

Ah, glad you agree there.

It seems all of the rest you wrote is strongly politically based with predisposed feelings/translation.

I simply don't see this as a political issue, and I don't think the POTUS does either, and I sincerely hope the Governor doesn't either, though with his odd response here, him I can't be so sure about.

Why do you think he seems to be the only one who disagrees that quarantine is a bad idea in this matter? And I remind you that Cuomo is not only threatening to 'sue' Trump, but he also threatened the same to New Jersey's Governor for attempting to block travel from NY to NJ. Why do you think he disagrees with him so strongly also? I'm led to think perhaps he is very irrationally trying to save face for his state, which isn't at all necessary or fruitful in this matter.

But if his response it's for political reasons like you seem to allude, does that make it acceptable? Should politics even come to play here? I think I've made it clear I don't think so. But it seems you think the President made this suggestion to throw his weight around and pick on the Governor of New York, which seems very off base, and is leading me to think your view has been skewed due to strong political feelings.

Let's say you're right, though, and this is a political move/issue that happens to have a side effect of stopping spread of disease and saving lives in this situation.

What would you feel is more important: a political win and the virus spreads more rapidly, or a Governor getting politically bullied, while people are saved from the virus? Hypothetical question, I believe, but I present it to you. What's more important right now?

Edited by _Only

The safety of the people first, no matter what.

But this goes both ways. Both, Cuomo and Trump are having their tantrums with the difference that Trump IS the president of USA.

For some reason you like to forget Trumps initial reaction to the pandemic. His eagerness to restart the economy by Easter. His accusation of the frontline workers, ( since I am a veteran it is only fair to call them first line of defence) to steel PPE and much more he did wrong in this situation.

Luckily for you, Dr. Fauci found a way to tame him and also a huge applaude to VP Mike Pence who stepped in when needed the most and showed  Trump how to lead and act in crisis situation. 

And no, this has nothing to do with my feelings but only with the facts that have been presented to the world to see. 

• Like 1

I'm glad you agree on the topic, though that was hard to squeeze out among all your other thoughts.