Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moving pictures playing-out behind my eyelids

JSeeley

I read the comments of this discontinued thread and wanted to add my viewpoint. Hopefully we can continue discussing without it being hijacked by those who haven't had these experiences.

As a boy, I periodically experienced seeing images with my eyes closed or opened in dark settings. I would see movements on the wall or ceiling in my bedroom of ordinary things, like trees, people, animals, etc. These were very detailed and sharp images but most were monochrome. Meaning the images were slightly darker than the color of my walls/ceiling. But sometimes, they would be more intense/opaque/brighter with color. Same situation with the backs of my eyelids which is more common.

In recent years, (male, 52) just before or after sleeping with eyes closed (and sometimes open), I would see floating faces/busts or moving illustrations in full color, very detailed and SHARP.. The faces/busts had natural movement but shifted kind of slow and floating and with no background or setting behind them.

And then, at certain times, I see complete scenes of ordinary settings (sometimes not so ordinary), like watching a movie in real time. Sometimes, peoples' styles, cultures and objects look as if they're from the DISTANT past or a strange culture I've never seen before. I've also seen wild African wildlife that's not native to my country. The intensity of these visions ranges from barely noticeable with small differences in shades of grey -to- full color, bright, opaque, and very detailed and even some distorted sound at times. It's not just a 2-D image. It's in 3-D space (whether it appears large or small) but it can only be viewed against a backdrop- a wall, darkness, eyelids, etc.

I truly believe that these scenes actually did (or will) occur at another place in time. If so, it makes me wonder, who (are what) in the reality I'm viewing is enabling me to see from a specific point of view? Am I seeing through someone else's eyes, or through my eyes in another lifetime? It's almost as if it's "broadcasted" like over-the-air TV. Maybe it's simply left-over energy or 'echos" of what already occurred? I've had strange points of view,like from the sky looking down or from underwater seeing exotic fish. You cannot control what's occurring in the scene you're viewing, but you can control it's clarity it's peripheral view. Sometimes, the vision opens and closes like an iris or aperture and sometimes it's all around you like a slice of another reality overlapping mine.

One thing is for sure is these are NOT coming from my mind or from dreams. (These also occur in the middle of the day with eyes open) They have too much of a logical flow to them and are VERY detailed... like watching a movie. Dreams can be detailed, but they're scattered with no constant flow to them. My mother has the same experiences. 

I would love to hear your similar experiences and and opinions on it. I know what I'm seeing, but how does this happen? Thanks. John.

• Like 1

So you are having visual hallucinations. Do you have any known or currently unknown medical/psychological conditions? 

In recent years, (male, 52) just before or after sleeping with eyes closed (and sometimes open), I would see floating faces/busts or moving illustrations in full color, very detailed and SHARP.. The faces/busts had natural movement but shifted kind of slow and floating and with no background or setting behind them.

It's odd because I've very recently experienced something similar upon waking up in the middle of the night. It's like the usual colors/static you always see with your eyes closed but manifested as more vivid, discernible forms - almost like illustrations in a book. It only happened once or twice and passed pretty quickly.

I put it down to still being half asleep, perhaps it's related to sleep paralysis (which I've also previously experienced) and other similar things.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Saru said:

I put it down to still being half asleep, perhaps it's related to sleep paralysis (which I've also previously experienced) and other similar things.

I've never had sleep paralysis, but on waking up I would often see giant spiders (fortunately I'm not arachnophobic), For maybe 10-30 seconds I would see them crawling up the wall or across the ceiling. Then they would suddenly disappear and reality would return.

I was always aware that these must be some sort of hallucination for one simple reason, I am very short sighted, but the spiders were in focus even without my glasses on.

The first couple of times it was a little weird and slightly disturbing but I got used to it. It hasn't happened for several years and I almost miss them.

4 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I've never had sleep paralysis, but on waking up I would often see giant spiders (fortunately I'm not arachnophobic), For maybe 10-30 seconds I would see them crawling up the wall or across the ceiling. Then they would suddenly disappear and reality would return.

Just as well you aren't scared of spiders - that would be terrifying. :blink:

Fatigue, especially mental fatigue can bring on visual hallucinations. Daydreaming can maybe do the same. Hypnagogic and hypnopompic imagery during the falling asleep and waking up state. Pareidolia can create visual images in pitch blackness or low light. The imagination just kicks into gear.

Perhaps not directly related, but if you see colorful, kaleidoscopic images (normally daytime) overlaying your vision, it's probably optical migraines.  I have them every few months or so.  Generally harmless, related to blood pressure issues, and quite pretty.  The effects usually do not obscure normal vision significantly, and I've gotta say that the first time you see the effect, it is quite freaky...

Lucid dreaming prehaps

LInteresting topic!

I commented similarly on a deja vu subject already opened. Although hallucinations can be caused by fatigue, fear etc.. the brains ability to retain pictures, imaginary cannot be dismissed. 

I experienced something similar except I hear languages in my mind, clear articulated phrases in German, French Russian that when I reapeat outloud, can be translated. 

Edited by qxcontinuum