Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Despite Warning - Pastor Holds Services

27 posts in this topic

Piney
6 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Corona Virus? Not my problem:

Let him and his followers Darwin themselves out...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

sci-nerd
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Piney said:

Let him and his followers Darwin themselves out...

Unfortunately they're not eligible for a group Darwin award, because mass delusions isn't genetic.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

third_eye
37 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

(He declines the offer to be transported to safety by his neighbours in a row boat. He refuses to be saved by people in a motor boat. He rejects to be pulled up into a helicopter. Because he trusts God will save him. And so he drowns, gets to see God and asks God why didn't he save him. God replies: "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more did you expect?")

He was, perhaps, waiting for an ark, as any avid reader of the good book should be inclined to know... 

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Myles
1 hour ago, Scudbuster said:

I wish the members of the church turn on him.   I would.   I would think that this guy was willing to risk my life, screw him.   

I do blame the people for going as well, but not as much as him encouraging it.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Helen of Annoy
11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

He was, perhaps, waiting for an ark, as any avid reader of the good book should be inclined to know... 

~

Oh, but no. Any even superficial reader of the good book in question knows that the Ark was the unique instrument of physical salvation of the species, a task specifically given to Noah by God himself. Anyone attempting to force God into elevating them into an impromptu Noah is committing few sins at once - vainglory and blasphemy to start with.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

third_eye
1 minute ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Oh, but no. Any even superficial reader of the good book in question knows that the Ark was the unique instrument of physical salvation of the species, a task specifically given to Noah by God himself. Anyone attempting to force God into elevating them into an impromptu Noah is committing few sins at once - vainglory and blasphemy to start with.  

Oh no, I don't mean he should be so presumptuous as to regard himself to be making the ark, I meant waiting for the ark, so he can march two by two into, what nicer way to meet a woman... 

~

• Haha 3

Helen of Annoy
4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Oh no, I don't mean he should be so presumptuous as to regard himself to be making the ark, I meant waiting for the ark, so he can march two by two into, what nicer way to meet a woman... 

~

Again, what arrogance, to assume God picked him in particular to carry the species on. 

I'm quite certain God continues the species by creating men who don't decline to be saved. Physically too. In a row boat. Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily... everyone! together!  

• Haha 3

third_eye
2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Again, what arrogance, to assume God picked him in particular to carry the species on. 

There must have been excellent reasons for him to be beholden to such a belief, otherwise why would God send all those boats and that helicopter? 

Wait... I do believe l might have overlooked a few verses... 

~

• Haha 3

Michelle

On Sunday morning March 14th we drove across Mississippi and Alabama coming back from a business trip. We passed over a hundred churches and none of them were having services. Everything was closed except for gas stations and grocery stores.

This pastor and his congregation are an exception, not the norm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Helen of Annoy
10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

There must have been excellent reasons for him to be beholden to such a belief, otherwise why would God send all those boats and that helicopter? 

Wait... I do believe l might have overlooked a few verses... 

~

It's not you who missed any verses, it's them who are missing some humility. Anyone who thinks they're so important God will save them in an extraordinary way (while the rest of humanity are saved by using God's gifts of common sense, ingenuity, solidarity and so on) are having a psychological, not religious problem.    

In other words, it's so rude to expect supernatural miracles from God there, where being a sane human and cooperating with others is enough. 

Speaking from a Christian perspective. 

God sent smart people to invent anti-epidemic measures. I thank God for both the smart people, who are clearly doing God's work and their anti-epidemic measures. It's the row boat. We must row all together, merrily, until the motor boat shows up too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

third_eye
1 minute ago, Helen of Annoy said:

God sent smart people to invent anti-epidemic measures. I thank God for both the smart people, who are clearly doing God's work and their anti-epidemic measures. It's the row boat. We must row all together, merrily, until the motor boat shows up too

I for one would be the last one to recommend licking any holy relics, unless it's yours and all yours alone, and only when and if you must, that's as far as my smarts can take me. 

~

• Haha 2

Helen of Annoy
4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I for one would be the last one to recommend licking any holy relics, unless it's yours and all yours alone, and only when and if you must, that's as far as my smarts can take me. 

~

third, do not wait for a helicopter, because I'm going to throw you out of it for this. *shakes tentacle*

• Haha 2

Desertrat56

I didn't see it mentioned.  Did everyone at the meeting get arrested or just the pastor?  It seems they should have all been arrested if they were stupid enough to show up.

• Like 7

Orphalesion

Of course it would be one of those Mega-Churches....

Real "man of god" there in his expensive suit and elaborate stage setup and the "Call Now for Prayer" paid hotline and his membership in right-wing anti-LGBT groups...

Well...he better know how to squeeze a camel through the eye of a needle...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sir Smoke aLot

If i was making the money he is making i would be working too lol

Big Jim
1 hour ago, Michelle said:

On Sunday morning March 14th we drove across Mississippi and Alabama coming back from a business trip. We passed over a hundred churches and none of them were having services. Everything was closed except for gas stations and grocery stores.

This pastor and his congregation are an exception, not the norm.

There's one in my area too.  Today I caught part of a press conference with a county sheriff and some public safety official gently debating and trying to explain whose jurisdiction it fell under.  I agree with Desertrat too, that it shouldn't be only the pastor who is held responsible but every person who attended after the group reached its limit.  

Apparently these churches put the officials in somewhat of a Constitutional quandary, with the prohibition against prohibiting the free exercise of religion at odds with the current requirements for public safety. It's not an easy question, considering that we want to have our rights intact once this is all behind us.

• Like 1

Myles
16 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

There's one in my area too.  Today I caught part of a press conference with a county sheriff and some public safety official gently debating and trying to explain whose jurisdiction it fell under.  I agree with Desertrat too, that it shouldn't be only the pastor who is held responsible but every person who attended after the group reached its limit.  

Apparently these churches put the officials in somewhat of a Constitutional quandary, with the prohibition against prohibiting the free exercise of religion at odds with the current requirements for public safety. It's not an easy question, considering that we want to have our rights intact once this is all behind us.

There are several churches around me holding parking lot services.   Everyone has to stay in their car.  

Big Jim
22 minutes ago, Myles said:

There are several churches around me holding parking lot services.   Everyone has to stay in their car.  

I've seen those too.  That seems to be the new normal.

Desertrat56
1 hour ago, Big Jim said:

There is nothing contradictory to the orders to limit numbers of people in a group and freedom of religion or worship.  None of that requires more than one person, the one who wants to worship, it is not tied to a location either, so anyone who says that order denies their freedom of religion is confused about what that means.

• Like 2

Big Jim
11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

There is nothing contradictory to the orders to limit numbers of people in a group and freedom of religion or worship.  None of that requires more than one person, the one who wants to worship, it is not tied to a location either, so anyone who says that order denies their freedom of religion is confused about what that means.

I don't know and I'm not wanting to argue, but I think in many religions that the gathering is part of the experience.  It truly does require more than one person.  If only one was required, as in everyone worshipping alone, then we might not have any churches at all.  And I know for a fact that some religions require their members to attend services so in their case it definitely is tied to a location.  The freedom to practice religion means the freedom to practice what you believe, even if it's in conflict with what others believe.  In other words, the idiosyncrasies of each religion are respected by the government with a guarantee not to interfere.  So if a group believes that they must gather, then to them, they must.

Desertrat56
1 hour ago, Big Jim said:

The freedom to practice religion means the freedom to practice what you believe, even if it's in conflict with what others believe

That has nothing to do with gathering, and if your religion requires you to gather you still have to follow the law, if the law for safety reasons is no more than 5 people gathered then you break in to groups of 5 and do what ever it is, you don't claim your exempt because of freedom of religion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Big Jim
2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That has nothing to do with gathering, and if your religion requires you to gather you still have to follow the law, if the law for safety reasons is no more than 5 people gathered then you break in to groups of 5 and do what ever it is, you don't claim your exempt because of freedom of religion.

Those two bolded things are kind of opposites.  But that aside, I agree with you, I was just noting that it is a puzzle for Constitutional scholars.  The Constitution clearly states that the government cannot interfere with the practice of religion.  But in this case the government must interfere if certain denominations believe they must gather together.  It is a legal dilemma, never encountered before, to my knowledge.  I also agree with your solution, that instead of one or two services per day on Sunday, they could schedule services all day and throughout the week and try to accommodate the congregation in groups of a legally permissible size. Since most congregations have a roster of their members they could even assign times by name, like A to E to one time and F to J to another and so on.

But until this peculiar point of law is settled I can also understand why some people would think it doesn't apply to them.