Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
susieice

6.5 Earthquake in Idaho

susieice

19_Kilo

Yeah, apparently Idaho is close enough to that "Ring of Fire" that effects Cali and out to Yellowstone.

Growing up in California I've been in a few quakes but thought they were non-existent in Idaho. I lived in Boise for 3 years in the early 2000s and felt the bed shake one morning. Upstairs,  very old house, not sure if it was structural or I was dreaming. But after going out in town for the day I heard about the mild quake. Haven't had one here in Texas yet; we just get tornadoes, torrential rain, Africa Hot summers and skeeters big enough to carry off babies.

Oh, armadillos too, that we tell the Yankees are ancestors of dinosaurs.

Not to forget ol' Chupacabra.

As Roseanne Danna said, "It's always something."

Peace.

• Like 2

BorizBadinov

It was a pretty good shake. I am about 100 miles from the epicenter. Nothing damaged at my place but it lasted a long time and the lights rocked for about 10 minutes after. Idaho is pretty stable but the region is covered in old lava flows and cinder cones. Jordan craters and craters of the moon are both geologically recent lava flows in the nearby region and Yellowstone is just a hop away to the northeast from the epicenter. There have been lots of little tremors for a while but nothing really noticable until this one. No missing it. 

• Like 4

Doug1029

The shaking reached my wife's home town(s), Glens Ferry and Cascade.  Still checking on relatives and friends, but no injuries reported yet.

Experienced my first earthquake in Idaho.  I was in Moscow; the epicenter was in Troy.  Left a fault scarp about six inches high across a field.

Idaho is in Yellowstone's hot spot track.  I worked at Burley (Mt. Mimama) for a summer.  Snow doesn't collect on Mt. Mimama - it's hot.

Doug

• Like 1

BorizBadinov
1 hour ago, Doug1029 said:

The shaking reached my wife's home town(s), Glens Ferry and Cascade.  Still checking on relatives and friends, but no injuries reported yet.

Experienced my first earthquake in Idaho.  I was in Moscow; the epicenter was in Troy.  Left a fault scarp about six inches high across a field.

Idaho is in Yellowstone's hot spot track.  I worked at Burley (Mt. Mimama) for a summer.  Snow doesn't collect on Mt. Mimama - it's hot.

Doug

No injuries I have heard about on local news. Cascade and Glens Ferry are closer to Stanley than I am so it was probably a bit more rough than here. Hope everyone is ok. 

• Like 2

glorybebe

There were reports of some tremors in the Okanagan in BC, but, I didn't feel them.  Must have been a good one to have tremors so far north and south.