Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History lessons for Covid-19

Eldorado

"Writing in the heady days of new antibiotics and immunizations, esteemed microbiologists Macfarlane Burnet and David White predicted in 1972 that “the most likely forecast about the future of infectious diseases is that it will be very dull.”

"They acknowledged that there was always a risk of “some wholly unexpected emergence of a new and dangerous infectious disease, but nothing of the sort has marked the last fifty years.” Epidemics, it seemed, were of interest only to historians.

"Times have changed. From herpes and legionnaires’ disease in the 1970s, to AIDS, Ebola, the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), and now Covid-19, contagious diseases continue to threaten and disrupt human populations.

"Historians, who never lost interest in epidemics, have much to offer."

Full article at the New England Journal of Medicine: Link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Writing in the heady days of new antibiotics and immunizations, esteemed microbiologists Macfarlane Burnet and David White predicted in 1972 that “the most likely forecast about the future of infectious diseases is that it will be very dull.”

"They acknowledged that there was always a risk of “some wholly unexpected emergence of a new and dangerous infectious disease, but nothing of the sort has marked the last fifty years.” Epidemics, it seemed, were of interest only to historians.

"Times have changed. From herpes and legionnaires’ disease in the 1970s, to AIDS, Ebola, the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), and now Covid-19, contagious diseases continue to threaten and disrupt human populations.

"Historians, who never lost interest in epidemics, have much to offer."

Full article at the New England Journal of Medicine: Link

I think the biggest History Lesson that should be taken away from this mess is the importance of Accurate and Honest Global Communication. I beleive and I could be wrong that if China had honestly told the World what the real situation was within their boarders this catastrophe may have been everted.

Next should a Nation be held accountable by the World for not being honest when reporting their situation, and what should that accountability consist of? While cutting all ties with China isn't possible because of their manufacturing base, should they have to pay reparation? I also understand that enforcing that wouldn't be easily possible.

Last for me I can only hope that the Worlds Governments will understand how important working together is, for the survival of the human race. This situation should be the wakeup call that makes all the Worlds Leaders clearly see how important full disclosure and honesty really are and what can occur if if this isn't a priority. After this I don't think any Government will want to be the next China.

Peace

• Like 3

United we stand, divided we fall.

If we take anything from this, it should be that we're a species, not a bunch of individual groups divided by geographical location.

It concerns me that at this unique point in history, many are still squabbling over yesterday's news; left versus right, young versus old, Trump this, Brexit that... it's put a lot of things into perspective for me personally.

If we want to reach our potential as a species, we need to work together towards common goals.

Possible? Who knows.

History shows that we can come together after major conflicts, etc., but it also shows that the divisions don't take long to reappear.

• Like 5

It just might be time to create global government.

Where every country, big or small, becomes equal with every other country as states in a new global federation.

The United States of the World. Governed by all mankind.

• Like 1

In the future if another situation like this occurs, and the Nation where it occurs is honest and forth coming about their situation all the Worlds Governments should come to their aid. For this to occur global protocols would need to be changed. While we do have a World Health Organization they are kinda useless unless they are used for their intended purpose which they weren't in this situation, I mean they weren't even allowed into China until the outbreak was out of control. Changing the way our Global community does things will be the only way to survive future Pandemics, and there is no doubt that they are coming.

Peace

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Where every country, big or small, becomes equal with every other country as states in a new global federation.

You mean like the Federation in Star Trek. Something like that may come in the future, but unfortunately I don't think Mankind has learned it's lesson yet, but we can only hope. But to call it the United States of the World is a big stretch, whatever it would be called would have to be without mention of any existing Government.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

Very interesting opinions and I do like the idea of a equal global government where all nations, races, believes are equal.

BUT, let's not fool ourselfs. Greed stands in the way of those equal nations idea. As long as greed exists we will be apart as humans.

Nothing will change. Once this is over we will be back (we did not even stop) to whine about money, whose race and nation is above the others...and so on and on.

I know it is a downer, sorry. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

You mean like the Federation in Star Trek. Something like that may come in the future, but unfortunately I don't think Mankind has learned it's lesson yet, but we can only hope. But to call it the United States of the World is a big stretch, whatever it would be called would have to be without mention of any existing Government.

Peace

It's just a name. Call it 'World Nations United' then. The point is that it will only be through global government, government of all mankind, for all mankind and by all mankind that we'll be able to overcome all of those things that work to divide us.

However, it will take a level of personal ethics and morals in those who would be our leaders and founding fathers that frankly, I don't see in many yet. 

The level of corruption in political leadership is astonishing. Perhaps we need to develop a way to keep those depraved individuals in government from even getting on the ballot in the first place.

We the people rule. We're responsible for who we choose to represent us.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Will Due said:

That won't work until all nation's show respect for individuals rights. You can't force totalitarian nation's into a goverment of democratic nation's. It would be a disaster.

47 minutes ago, odas said:

Very interesting opinions and I do like the idea of a equal global government where all nations, races, believes are equal.

BUT, let's not fool ourselfs. Greed stands in the way of those equal nations idea. As long as greed exists we will be apart as humans.

Nothing will change. Once this is over we will be back (we did not even stop) to whine about money, whose race and nation is above the others...and so on and on.

I know it is a downer, sorry. 

Yea like I said about mankind is certainly not ready for a Global Government, the humans race has not progressed to a point where we could let go of our petty differences. Odas there is no need to be sorry it's a fact of life as we know it today, but there is always the future, lets just hope things change before time runs out.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

That won't work until all nation's show respect for individuals rights. You can't force totalitarian nation's into a goverment of democratic nation's. It would be a disaster.

Then totalitarian leaders will need to have a change of heart and give up their nation's sovereignty and repose it in mankind government. Good luck with that I guess.

As far as respect for the individual goes, aren't we there yet in the world? I think we are. Sure there are still a few holdouts but they are few and far between. People by far understand the importance of including everyone.

Sovereign Mankind Government is something I hope as a global community we at least begin to think about. It's coming.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Then totalitarian leaders will need to have a change of heart and give up their nation's sovereignty and repose it in mankind government. Good luck with that I guess.

As far as respect for the individual goes, aren't we there yet in the world? I think we are. Sure there are still a few holdouts but they are few and far between. People by far understand the importance of including everyone.

Sovereign Mankind Government is something I hope as a global community we at least begin to think about. It's coming.

I don't think people are anymore ready than their Governments are. Look at all the hoarding that has taken place since our current situation started, not to mention the price gouging by some business. No from where I am sitting people are still very selfish. While their are those individuals who do shine above the rest by helping their neighbors many more will do nothing without being told to, and even then there is still defiance.

Will I am not in anyway criticizing your opinion on this, maybe you have seen things that I haven't, but I do wish you were right and I was wrong.

Peace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

If we take anything from this, it should be that we're a species, not a bunch of individual groups divided by geographical location.

Actually, we are a bunch of individual groups divided by geographical location.  That’s what makes us a species, not cookie-cutter cogs in a machine.  We are united in diversity.

It concerns me that at this unique point in history, many are still squabbling over yesterday's news; left versus right, young versus old, Trump this, Brexit that... it's put a lot of things into perspective for me personally.

That is human nature.  Some things are more important than others.  We’ll find out that in retrospect, this is not so much a unique point in history.  History repeats itself.  This is an opportunity.  Do we unite or further divide?

If we want to reach our potential as a species, we need to work together towards common goals.

OK, so what goals?  Who’s goals?  The goals for China are not the same as the US.

History shows that we can come together after major conflicts, etc., but it also shows that the divisions don't take long to reappear.

And look at it now.  Our allies in WWII are now our biggest rivals.  And our biggest enemies from WWII are some of our closest allies.  What changed?  Answer that question and you will know what the common goal should be.