Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Omeprazole and risk of chronic kidney disease

Eldorado

"In recent years, the use of proton pump inhibitors (PPI), especially omeprazole, has been associated with development of chronic kidney disease (CKD).

"These drugs are widely used worldwide. Although some studies have found an association between the use of PPI and the onset of acute renal failure and CKD.

"This study aims to analyze the association between the continuous use of omeprazole and the progression of CKD in adult and elderly individuals."

Full monty at PLOS: Link

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

My husband has been taking this drug for about 3 years. 

I've been on them over twenty years!  :(

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I've been on them over twenty years!  :(

Our young Barista, who incidentally was supposed to be going to Spain to get married has been on them about 5 year’s. She has a lifetime to go. I wonder if there are alternatives because it is really painful when they don’t take it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kismit said:

My husband has been taking this drug for about 3 years. 

This may be a valid concern but it's become a typical response by lawyers in the U.S. to take a case where a few patients develop a problem while using a medication or a contrast imaging agent like gadolinium.  The numbers of persons affected can be miniscule and even have existing contraindications yet the legal industry makes the pharma companies gun shy.

I worked as an MRI tech for a decade and we regularly used a gadolinium agent for our contrasted images (using this agent yielded more diagnostic info from the scan).  Out of the blue one day we get warnings that we have to begin testing every patient's kidney function prior to administering gad.  It added several hundred dollars to the cost of the scan and slowed our throughput down in a serious way.  When we looked into the journal research we realized that every person who'd had kidney issues post gadolinium was ALREADY IN RENAL FAILURE.  

The legal profession is ultimately at fault for the out of control cost of providing medical care in the U.S.  The greatest irony that will accompany universal single payer healthcare is that no one will be able to sue the government for ANYTHING no matter how egregious the error may be.  If they'd just do that NOW, the system could easily be corrected.

2 hours ago, Kismit said:

Our young Barista, who incidentally was supposed to be going to Spain to get married has been on them about 5 year’s. She has a lifetime to go. I wonder if there are alternatives because it is really painful when they don’t take it.

Yeah, it's not only painful, it can lead to severe esophageal issues like Barrett's Esophagus :( 

6 minutes ago, and then said:

Yeah, it's not only painful, it can lead to severe esophageal issues like Barrett's Esophagus :( 

Will definitely be asking about alternatives when we get out

• Like 1