Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Chinese city to ban eating cats & dogs

Still Waters

6 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Thirty million dogs a year are killed across Asia for meat, says Humaniac Society International (HSI).

Many Amerind Tribes still eat dog. I don't and my tribe doesn't because they are sacred to us. But I don't get upset that somebody else's culture finds it acceptable.

I eat horse, like many other NDNs do and hear people carrying on about it but what's the difference between eating a horse, dog, goat, steer or pig if it's raised for meat? 

Nothing.......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't be happy eating dog meat*  but cat or horse wouldn't bother me.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, acute said:

I wouldn't be happy eating dog meat, but cat or horse wouldn't bother me.

I can't see a cat tasting good. They don't smell too great cooking and I don't think I could get one past my nose.

I wish I could get some spider monkey though. I'd have a chest freezer full of those tasty @#$%ers. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What some people there do to poor animals is so wrong, brutal... Even with laws against it already in force in their regions.

If someone wants to eat dog he doesn't have to cook him alive or kill him with hammer but then, people do the same to other people too, in more creative and brutal ways.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

What some people there do to poor animals is so wrong, brutal... Even with laws against it already in force in their regions.

The "factory farms" in North and South America are prime examples. But humaniacs are too busy worrying about somebody eating a dog, cat or horse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

The "factory farms" in North and South America are prime examples. But humaniacs are too busy worrying about somebody eating a dog, cat or horse. 

Yeah, true example of pure cruelty. I've never understood how those industrial scumbags are able to kill the animal before it even saw the sun, before it had chance to breathe clean air or run on the grass. That's inhumane thing to do even to colony of mosquito. And on those farms heads are flying in large numbers per minute. All to satisfy economy's unending thirst to produce food which ends up on garbage piles after it's payed for like 20 times 'in the books'.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, acute said:

I wouldn't be happy eating dog meat, but cat or horse wouldn't bother me.

grumpy-cat-is-not-amused.png

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Many Amerind Tribes still eat dog. I don't and my tribe doesn't because they are sacred to us. But I don't get upset that somebody else's culture finds it acceptable.

I eat horse, like many other NDNs do and hear people carrying on about it but what's the difference between eating a horse, dog, goat, steer or pig if it's raised for meat? 

Nothing.......

I've eaten horse, also, and MAN some folks get bent out of shape about that. I guess we're only allowed to eat ugly animals, they don't count. 

All my life, I've heard about how awful it is that they eat cats and dogs. They simply don't have the same relationship with cats and dogs that we do. To them, it's food. In an area of the world that densely populated, yea, they eat what they can get their hands on. We're pretty spoiled with our food choices in the US. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Too little too late...and how about banning the consumption of animals that are known carriers of deadly viruses...and yes it's true that different countries have different cultures but when different cultures endanger the rest of the world steps should be taken to ensure pandemics don't happen

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

However, the practice of eating dog meat in China is not that common - the majority of Chinese people have never done so and say don't want to.

I learned this from our guide/translator while we were in China for our adoption.  She had a dog she really loved and it disappeared and her neighbors had a cookout at the same time.  Man, she was angry.  I realize it's wrong to judge other cultures that we aren't a part of but I just don't think I could ever get along with someone that eats dogs.  Then again, I've never dealt with real hunger in my life.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darth kurgen73 said:

Too little too late

For THIS outbreak it is.  I'm encouraged to see some change in the thinking there.  I believe the CCP has withheld the true death toll from this scourge.  They locked down over 100 million citizens for at least 2 months, trashed a substantial part of their GDP for the year and they're saying that fewer than 4000 people died.  No...just, no.  They are saying the index case was from that wet market in Wuhan and I'll take their word for it but if they don't close or severely upgrade the sanitation of those markets, the world has a right to be compensated for their carelessness. 

2 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I've eaten horse, also, and MAN some folks get bent out of shape about that. I guess we're only allowed to eat ugly animals, they don't count. 

All my life, I've heard about how awful it is that they eat cats and dogs. They simply don't have the same relationship with cats and dogs that we do. To them, it's food. In an area of the world that densely populated, yea, they eat what they can get their hands on. We're pretty spoiled with our food choices in the US. 

Not sure if this is true but I heard that in some places in USA racoons are a delicasee.

Different cultures have different tastes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, odas said:

Not sure if this is true but I heard that in some places in USA racoons are a delicasee.

Raccoons, possums, squirrel, rabbit, snake, turtle, gator...people eat that stuff all the time, especially in rural areas. You can get some odd looks if you mention eating any of those, too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, odas said:

In the southeastern U.S., where I live, 'coon used to be part of the diet for poor folks.  Opossum as well.  During hard economic times in the 20s and 30s folks with kids to feed would hunt just about any meat they could.  I used to hunt and eat squirrel.  Some people think of them as rats and think that's disgusting.  All I know is that when properly cleaned and cooked they were delicious.  Usually fried and served in a brown gravy and rice dish.  I haven't had any in 30 years or more but I'd still eat it if I knew the person cooking it ;) 

9 minutes ago, and then said:

I learned this from our guide/translator while we were in China for our adoption.  She had a dog she really loved and it disappeared and her neighbors had a cookout at the same time.  Man, she was angry.  I realize it's wrong to judge other cultures that we aren't a part of but I just don't think I could ever get along with someone that eats dogs.  Then again, I've never dealt with real hunger in my life.  

During the Balkan war I ate every third day. Always had a week stomach and ate only what I know. While growing up in Germany I lived about 5 min walking distance from McDonalds. After about 10 years at age 15 I had my first hamburger. I found it disgusting.

I grew up with Rindswurst, Cheese pita, beans, broetchen and could not stand anything to eat that does not look good in my eyes. Still the same. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Raccoons, possums, squirrel, rabbit, snake, turtle, gator...people eat that stuff all the time, especially in rural areas. You can get some odd looks if you mention eating any of those, too. 

Oh God!!!! 

1 hour ago, odas said:

I grew up with Rindswurst, Cheese pita, beans, broetchen and could not stand anything to eat that does not look good in my eyes. Still the same.

Typical diet for poor folks in the south in the 60s and 70s when I was growing up, was mostly vegetables grown in a garden or on a family farm.  LOTS of turnips and collards, usually seasoned with bacon or pork fat.  Lots of field peas, dried beans and the like.  The funny thing is that even with all the choices I have today, the home cooked meals from the past are the ones I remember most fondly.

1 hour ago, odas said:

Oh God!!!! 

Exactly :)   That's why I tried to back off my expression of disgust about Chinese dietary choices.  It made me sound like I thought they were barbarians or something.  That wasn't really my intention.  I grew up very poor and meat on the table was a treat, not a daily occurrence.  We would have deer or squirrel occasionally but I never saw coon or possum or turtle or snake.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, and then said:

Typical diet for poor folks in the south in the 60s and 70s when I was growing up, was mostly vegetables grown in a garden or on a family farm.  LOTS of turnips and collards, usually seasoned with bacon or pork fat.  Lots of field peas, dried beans and the like.  The funny thing is that even with all the choices I have today, the home cooked meals from the past are the ones I remember most fondly.

Exactly :)   That's why I tried to back off my expression of disgust about Chinese dietary choices.  It made me sound like I thought they were barbarians or something.  That wasn't really my intention.  I grew up very poor and meat on the table was a treat, not a daily occurrence.  We would have deer or squirrel occasionally but I never saw coon or possum or turtle or snake.  

Deer is fine. Had a few bites back in 1989. Had also wild hog (don't laugh, I am Bosnian by birth) and also tried bacon in Croatia. 

First and last time I had a Burger King hamburger was 1997ish in Berlin. Was puking for three days. Shoot me but I will never have a BK again.

And, I have a natural disgust to Mayo. Never. Cannot stand the smell. My kids like it but never have it when I am around. I can turn in a huge butwhole and chase everyone out of the house.

I guess we all have our issues.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Gator and snake are delicious. I find rabbit and squirrel too gamey. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Gator and snake are delicious. I find rabbit and squirrel too gamey. 

Snake, I'd REALLY have to be hungry to eat.  Occasionally I see gator on a menu but never tried it.  What does it taste like?  How was it cooked?  I did have a Bison burger once out in the Texas panhandle next to New Mexico.  Tasted great.  Like lean beef.

I always understood eating carnivores was not a good idea.  I don’t know if there is any scientific basis for that but feeding pigs swill, which included meat waste was stopped here (UK) and look what happened when cows were fed animal waste mixed in with their feed (bovine encephalitis).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Piney said:

I can't see a cat tasting good. They don't smell too great cooking and I don't think I could get one past my nose.

I wish I could get some spider monkey though. I'd have a chest freezer full of those tasty @#$%ers. :yes:

Sorry, but:

C85G1dV.jpg?1

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

I always understood eating carnivores was not a good idea.  I don’t know if there is any scientific basis for that 

Nah. Just easier to raise and eat grazers. Plus the meat is tougher and has a different taste than grazers.

• Like 1