Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fleeing wealthy New Yorkers draw scorn

Eldorado

"Some locals blame the spike of cases on the influx of New York City seasonal residents who fled to their summer homes in Southold to escape the virus.

“A lot of it has to do with the influx of people who have summer homes that came out here,” said G.P. Lane, owner of the About Food gourmet store. “By the time the directive came out, they realized they were already out here. It was too late.”

"The assistant manager of a local IGA grocery store, who identified himself only as Greg, said year-round residents noticed the unseasonable spike in population right away."

Full report at the NY Post: Link

"Flight of the Influencers" at the NY Times: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

New Yorkers are spreading the virus all over the US fleeing that hotspot. <_<

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

They scurried all over and flew to Florida by the planeloads.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2020/apr/02/coronavirus-map-of-the-us-latest-cases-state-by-state

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Isn’t it already in several other states? How can you be sure who is spreading what? 
Although for sure if different states are quarantined you will have mass exodus from all of those places before hand. That won’t be a practical form of control 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Isn’t it already in several other states? How can you be sure who is spreading what? 
Although for sure if different states are quarantined you will have mass exodus from all of those places before hand. That won’t be a practical form of control 

It's what happened in my area. We know what New York license plates look like. Gov Wolf finally shut the B&Bs down. There's all kinds of lawsuits being filed. Even some because non-essential businesses have been ordered closed. A lot of selfish and pampered people here in the US.

https://www.thetimes-tribune.com/coronavirus/gov-wolf-shuts-down-airbnb-other-short-term-rentals-1.2613810

https://whyy.org/articles/corona-discount-as-rentals-advertise-seclusion-poconos-become-per-capita-covid-leader/

They've been told and told they have to quarantine. Rhode Island and Connecticut are hunting down their license plates too.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/local/monroe-county/commuters-react-to-martz-suspending-bus-service-to-nyc-philly/523-25b51ff1-8b28-483e-8fe1-1aa1aa5c52d4

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, susieice said:

Gov Wolf finally shut the B&Bs down.

Down here, De Santis is using checkpoints on traffic entering Florida.  Stopping is mandatory and those with NY or Louisiana tags have to identify themselves.  I assume that means if any of them are caught breaking that 14 day  "self imposed" quarantine, they'll face real consequences.   That's only fair.  I get the whole, let me get out to a less populated place instinct.  If I had a bolt hole in the mountains of North Carolina, for example, I'd think hard about going there.  But leaving an area that's a major hotspot and landing in a place that isn't, yet, shouldn't be done unless people can certify they aren't positive OR they're willing to be totally compliant with the rules in the state they've moved to.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, and then said:

Down here, De Santis is using checkpoints on traffic entering Florida.  Stopping is mandatory and those with NY or Louisiana tags have to identify themselves.  I assume that means if any of them are caught breaking that 14 day  "self imposed" quarantine, they'll face real consequences.   That's only fair.  I get the whole, let me get out to a less populated place instinct.  If I had a bolt hole in the mountains of North Carolina, for example, I'd think hard about going there.  But leaving an area that's a major hotspot and landing in a place that isn't, yet, shouldn't be done unless people can certify they aren't positive OR they're willing to be totally compliant with the rules in the state they've moved to.

They were going back and forth to NYC up until last week. (See third link in my previous post.) People petitioned Gov Wolf long ago to do something as case around here went up and up. Now Wolf will need to deal with what's going on in the NE counties. It's worse than Philadelphia. They were leaving JFK by planeloads for Florida. They were under a stay at home in New York and shouldn't have been running around all over.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/23/travelers-flying-from-new-york-to-florida-will-be-placed-under-14-day-quarantine-gov-desantis-says/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5

i have a summer house upstate, but we did not go, i can't go due to work, my wife also works from home, and doesn't want to be there alone with 3 kids,  also one kid has internet school.    i have friends who have houses in florida, but they all have cars registered in florida, with FL plates, ins is cheaper there.  i also have several neighbours nere, in my building, who go to florida for 6mo every year, they are all seniors, there are many such seniors here,  those planeloads were mostly those seniors, i can't blame them for leaving, they are most vulnerable. 

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Didn't the "Patient Zero" in New York get Covid-19 from a trip to Miami, Florida?  Lawrence Garbuz?

What patient zero? Officials are looking into previous deaths to see if they were actually caused by Covid-19 before China even said anything. Are you suggesting New York wasn't a major entry port for the virus into the US?

4 hours ago, susieice said:

What patient zero? Officials are looking into previous deaths to see if they were actually caused by Covid-19 before China even said anything. Are you suggesting New York wasn't a major entry port for the virus into the US?

Lawrence Garbuz?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/nyregion/coronavirus-new-rochelle-pneumonia.html

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/lawyer-at-center-of-earliest-ny-coronavirus-cluster-improving-other-initial-case-recovered/2333349/

I.M.O the only Fairly safe place on the planet at the moment is probably the Antarctica ,and that is not guaranteed , but I guess if you have Money nothing is impossible . 

I don't think it's just New York. A lot of snowbirds are coming north to their summer places. A lot of big city folks that have vacation places elsewhere that they usually open up this time of year are still leaving town to go to their vacation place.

I live in a touristish area and had to hit the little local store for a couple things yesterday. 6-7 cars in the lot, half of them had out of state plates. A person I know that lives on the Ohio/Michigan border said people were getting stopped at the border. Ohio keeping Michigan out.   They have family on both sides of the state line saying the cops are out.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 2:12 AM, susieice said:

New Yorkers need to be stopped from spreading the coronal plague. It’s not personal, it’s not political, it’s just basic science. It’a insane that they were allowed to escape from their explosive incubus into neighboring states.

They’re seeding the rest of the country. The last I checked, there were $17 flights from New York directly into to my area, undoubtedly loaded with plague. Then after they arrive, they go shopping at the supermarket, and our seniors will start dropping like flies in about two weeks.

It’s undeniably stupid to allow this. Everyone sees it, yet no one lifted a finger. Bad and ineffective government reigns supreme.

Edited by Raptor Witness