Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman billed $35k for covid-19 treatment

Eldorado

"Over the next several days, Askini saw her temperature spike and drop dangerously, and she developed a cough that gurgled because of all the liquid in her lungs.

"After two more trips to the ER that week, Askini was given a final test on the seventh day of her illness, and once doctors helped manage her flu and pneumonia symptoms, they again sent her home to recover. She waited another three days for a lab to process her test, and at last she had a diagnosis: COVID-19.

"A few days later, Askini got the bills for her testing and treatment: $34,927.43. “I was pretty sticker-shocked,” she says. “I personally don’t know anybody who has that kind of money.”"

Full article at Time: Link

"Americans are about to learn something horrifying: how irrational it is for health insurance to be linked to your employment status"

At the UK Guardian: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Ahh yes, US Healthcare. We're not just gonna take all your money NOW, we're gonna make you pay for life. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Ahh yes, US Healthcare. We're not just gonna take all your money NOW, we're gonna make you pay for life. 

I saw something a while back that said most bankruptcies are due to health care debt in the U.S.  We really do need to get the health insurance companies out of our pockets somehow because currently they seem to have blank checks to charge what they want and determine what they will cover, which very little compared to their fees.

• Like 3

The american medical system need as much money as they can get off sick people, to pay over the top for the masks they are buying off China which was ordered by another country. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have no idea why anyone would wash around uninsured here. Treat it like your car.

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I have no idea why anyone would wash around uninsured here. Treat it like your car.

Most businesses make it prohibitively expensive. 

• Like 2

Nice system you got there in the states...
What happens when a poor person without insurance needs medical care in a  hospital??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I saw something a while back that said most bankruptcies are due to health care debt in the U.S.  We really do need to get the health insurance companies out of our pockets somehow because currently they seem to have blank checks to charge what they want and determine what they will cover, which very little compared to their fees.

Kinda like an armed robber.  When someone points a gun at your family, you give them your wallet.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

What happens when a poor person without insurance needs medical care in a  hospital??

You get the medical care, depending on the procedure. Then you go bankrupt. 

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Because, in my instance, medical insurance is required by law but is still about two hundred dollars every pay period, and it's just covering me. Not everyone can afford that, but they're forced to. Others pay far more. 

Obamacare or whatever you'd like to call it isn't exactly cheap, either. Honestly, for your average person, it might make more financial sense to go uninsured, if that's an option. Not everyone can afford to give up that large of a portion of their paycheck for coverage they'll likely rarely use. 

9 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

You get the medical care, depending on the procedure. Then you go bankrupt. 

How can the people accept this? Is it because most people have insurance so they dont care about the rest or is it because the dont have choice?

17 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

as you see form op they get treatment and care

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

How can the people accept this? Is it because most people have insurance so they dont care about the rest or is it because the dont have choice?

i bet where you live there are homeless and less fortunate,  but you do have a home and are more fortunate,  so do you care about those people?

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

i bet where live there are homeless and less fortunate,  but you do have a home and are more fortunate,  so do you care about those people?

Please wxplain your point

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

as you see form op they get treatment and care

As you see from earlier answers someone allready answered

Just now, Herr Falukorv said:

Please wxplain your point

right after you explain yours, 

and yes she did have insurance, she was treated for lymphoma, cancer treatment are even more expensive so how did she pay for those? 

another twisted fake news story

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

The law in all 50 states is the same.  NO ONE can be turned away from an emergency room for inability to pay.  NO ONE.  If an indigent person suffers some trauma and needs weeks of hospitalization and weeks or months of physical rehabilitation, they GET IT.  Anyone who denies this, doesn't know what they're talking about.  I saw it unfold daily in real time for 15 years working in various hospitals.  

I'm not defending the current system's economic model.  That has to change because the net effect of giving massive amounts of care to indigents and illegals is that working people carry a crushing load and often are worse off than the illegal or penniless.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, and then said:

The law in all 50 states is the same.  NO ONE can be turned away from an emergency room for inability to pay.  NO ONE.  If an indigent person suffers some trauma and needs weeks of hospitalization and weeks or months of physical rehabilitation, they GET IT.  Anyone who denies this, doesn't know what they're talking about.  I saw it unfold daily in real time for 15 years working in various hospitals.  

I'm not defending the current system's economic model.  That has to change because the net effect of giving massive amounts of care to indigents and illegals is that working people carry a crushing load and often are worse off than the illegal or penniless.  

But what happens after???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

right after you explain yours, 

and yes she did have insurance, she was treated for lymphoma, cancer treatment are even more expensive so how did she pay for those? 

another twisted fake news story

read the thread... I asked what would happen if someone was poor and didnt have insurance???

6 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

read the thread... I asked what would happen if someone was poor and didnt have insurance???

they apply for medicaid,  or they just ignore the bill, just like millions of illegals do,  why do you think our healthcare is so expensive

Edited by aztek

Just now, aztek said:

they apply for medicaid, 

Yawn....... and if they are not deemed for medicaid?

again, what if a person in your country is poor and can't afford a rent? do the rest of the people who live in homes do not care?

Edited by aztek

Just now, aztek said:

why not?

Well firstly I am not the one who measures who gets medicaid or not in your country,,
So please avoid the question..
What happens with the people who are not deemed for medicaid...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1