Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
19_Kilo

Eye Movement Therapy as PTSD Treatment...

drakonwick

That was a really interesting read and very informative! I'm not sure if it would work for every person that suffers from PTSD, but it does indeed seem like a credible option for those who are interested. 

This also seems like a similar therapy I have seen where an individual is slowly introduced to say, an animal, insect or arachnid that they have a terrifying fear of, to help them cope and possibly move past the fear!

• Like 1

Mr Guitar

As a sufferer of PTSD thanks to an all expense paid vacation in SE Asia in 1968-1969, I maintain that it never goes away completely. I've had lots of treatments of various kinds and taken numerous medications, none of which worked very well due to either just not working or unwanted side effects. I am in Vietnam, at least for a time, EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE - it NEVER goes away and I doubt it ever will and I'm almost 75 yrs old - I came back when I was 24! Thunder still bothers me at times, 4th of July (as well as New Years Eve, etc.) fireworks are out, loud noises, especially behind me and the sound of choppers bring back unwanted memories. Do not wake me up or approach me from the rear and my wife knows to always let me have the seat facing the door in restaurants. I do not go into crowds and I'm usually armed. We who suffer from this affliction all seem to share similar problems and I doubt there will be a cure/

• Like 4

Cookie Monster
On 4/4/2020 at 2:37 AM, drakonwick said:

That was a really interesting read and very informative! I'm not sure if it would work for every person that suffers from PTSD, but it does indeed seem like a credible option for those who are interested. 

This also seems like a similar therapy I have seen where an individual is slowly introduced to say, an animal, insect or arachnid that they have a terrifying fear of, to help them cope and possibly move past the fear!

Human beings often experience distressing emotions.

When a particularly gnarly one is being experienced which is so distressful that the person cannot cope with it, the huge surge of adrenaline it causes leaves a mental imprint on the mind. The person is then left with problems like panic disorder and PTSD.

It is similar to when someone swallows a huge food item blocking their oesophagus. They are unable to digest it so it remains lodged there causing problems. The eye therapy treatment is about getting the patient to revisit the distressful event while moving their eyes left to right. The eye movements reduce the rawness of distressful emotions allowing the traumatic event to be mentally digested.

This allows the memory to travel through the brain processes needed to complete its digestion. Once done the panic disorder or PTSD is gone. Children, hypersensitive, and emotionally immature people are most at risk. They lack the psychological development to manage distressful emotions. But at some point distressful emotions are so severe they can overwhelm anybody causing a mental blockage.

Cookie Monster
On 4/4/2020 at 3:20 AM, Mr Guitar said:

As a sufferer of PTSD thanks to an all expense paid vacation in SE Asia in 1968-1969, I maintain that it never goes away completely. I've had lots of treatments of various kinds and taken numerous medications, none of which worked very well due to either just not working or unwanted side effects. I am in Vietnam, at least for a time, EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE - it NEVER goes away and I doubt it ever will and I'm almost 75 yrs old - I came back when I was 24! Thunder still bothers me at times, 4th of July (as well as New Years Eve, etc.) fireworks are out, loud noises, especially behind me and the sound of choppers bring back unwanted memories. Do not wake me up or approach me from the rear and my wife knows to always let me have the seat facing the door in restaurants. I do not go into crowds and I'm usually armed. We who suffer from this affliction all seem to share similar problems and I doubt there will be a cure/

Warfare is about as traumatic as it can get.

That must have been one hell of a gnarly experience you had. High levels of stress over an extended period of time (often because the person doesnt get treated early) actually alters the structure of our neurons.

Western medicine has no means of reversing those changes, but Eastern medicine does. They give people the herb Ashwagandha as it reverses the changes to the neurons. It happens quite quickly too, it just takes a few weeks.