Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge feral hogs invading Canada

Still Waters

IN THE LATE 1980s and early 1990s, some Canadian farmers imported wild boars from Europe to raise for meat. But as wild boars are wont to do, some of them escaped, either digging under fences or barreling through them. Others were set free once the boar meat market cooled.

At first, it didn’t seem like a big problem; many thought they couldn’t survive Canada’s long winters. But the boars proved hardier than some researchers expected, and now they’re causing havoc across wide swaths of Canada.

The descendants of these wild boars have interbred with domestic pigs to varying degrees, and are now found throughout western and central Canada, from British Columbia to Manitoba and beyond. As they spread, they sow environmental destruction, plowing through crops and grasslands, causing erosion, displacing wildlife, harassing livestock, and eating just about anything.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/huge-feral-hogs-swine-spreading-through-north-canada/

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

At first, it didn’t seem like a big problem; many thought they couldn’t survive Canada’s long winters.

I guess these many didn't notice they were once indigenous to Northern Scandinavia and the Pontic Caspian Steppe-Forest Zone. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

FREEDOM AT LAST!!! 

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

'Hogtown' is one of Toronto's nicknames. Thankfully, we're hog-free, as feral hogs are an ecological train wreck. Their reproduction rates are quite high, so the problem is indeed a serious one. Calling them an invasive species would be an understatement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

them old boars are like buses you wait ages for one the loads all turn up together

• Like 2

Feral pigs are bad enough but they give young country people here a job hunting them with their dogs.Luckily true wild boars were not brought over here as far as I know but some of the feral boars here are big and dangerous animals.They thrive in any climate from the tropics to the snowy mountains here.The worst ones are the little boars with big tusks when dogging as they are fast as lightening and make short work of inexperienced pig dogs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, openozy said:

Feral pigs are bad enough but they give young country people here a job hunting them with their dogs.Luckily true wild boars were not brought over here as far as I know but some of the feral boars here are big and dangerous animals.They thrive in any climate from the tropics to the snowy mountains here.The worst ones are the little boars with big tusks when dogging as they are fast as lightening and make short work of inexperienced pig dogs.

i reckon my two lurchers would run the other way although to be fair we dont come across that many pigs lol

I've always thought of the boars as a good thing.   I know they destroy lots of stuff, but they provide another hunting option.  A good food source.   From what I read, the meat isn't that bad.   Maybe put a bounty on them if the hunter gives up the meat.   50 boars would feed over 1000 people.  

Maybe I'm just trying to find the silver lining, but when the invasive species is a good food source, it doesn't bother me as much.

But, but, but Rosie O'Donnell never made good on her promise to move to Canada.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Matt221 said:

i reckon my two lurchers would run the other way although to be fair we dont come across that many pigs lol

You'd be surprised,my whippets will bail them if you run into them rabbitng,which isn't ideal.They smash the little dogs into trees,tusks or not.

We have an interdiction to hunt them in Quebec... only a small group of technicians of the government are assigned to catch them. They said that if the hunter shot them they will disperse and be a bigger nuisance. Not sure if it's a good thing or not...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

We have an interdiction to hunt them in Quebec... only a small group of technicians of the government are assigned to catch them. They said that if the hunter shot them they will disperse and be a bigger nuisance. Not sure if it's a good thing or not...

I'm not sure I understand this.    Does that mean an injured (shot) boar will cause more damage?   I could believe that.  

I still think open season on them would be best.   Hopefully the meat is used.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm not sure I understand this.    Does that mean an injured (shot) boar will cause more damage?   I could believe that.  

I still think open season on them would be best.   Hopefully the meat is used.   

No it's they are moving in herd, if you shot one, the others will disperse and not stay in the same location expanding the damage and range of the wild boar. But now it's not working well because they are hard like hell to catch. I think they caught one last year,:whistle:. Putting half of dozen hunter that shot on the herd at the same time could do a massacre. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

No it's they are moving in herd, if you shot one, the others will disperse and not stay in the same location expanding the damage and range of the wild boar. But now it's not working well because they are hard like hell to catch. I think they caught one last year,:whistle:. Putting half of dozen hunter that shot on the herd at the same time could do a massacre. 

I see.   

Do you think the meat and the thrill of the hunt is enough to entice hunters to keep this issue in check if they declare open season?   If not, a small bounty may be needed.  

We have a similar issue with coyotes where I live.   You can kill them at will as long as you are willing to say that they were being a pest.   Many people will spend a weekend with their buddies hunting them.  I'm thankful they do.  I have them on my property from time to time, but I don't sit loaded and waiting for them.   I f I had a gun handy and seen one, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.  

59 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see.   

Do you think the meat and the thrill of the hunt is enough to entice hunters to keep this issue in check if they declare open season?   If not, a small bounty may be needed.  

We have a similar issue with coyotes where I live.   You can kill them at will as long as you are willing to say that they were being a pest.   Many people will spend a weekend with their buddies hunting them.  I'm thankful they do.  I have them on my property from time to time, but I don't sit loaded and waiting for them.   I f I had a gun handy and seen one, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.  

The hunter will be glad to hunt them and if they get no leash, it's sure that they will kill them all. A spring hunting season would be welcome here, and wild boar could be an opportunity.

• Like 1