Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep chanting in unknown language

Momof6

My husband and I went to bed. I was having trouble falling asleep. I finally drifted off, for how long I don’t know. I think it had been a couple hours. I woke up and had to pee. After returning my husband said, are you ok? I said yes, why? He says, you have been chanting in your sleep in an unknown language. And also appeared to be talking to someone. He was clearly freaked out. I was too And tried to not fall asleep again. 

8 minutes ago, Momof6 said:

My husband and I went to bed. I was having trouble falling asleep. I finally drifted off, for how long I don’t know. I think it had been a couple hours. I woke up and had to pee. After returning my husband said, are you ok? I said yes, why? He says, you have been chanting in your sleep in an unknown language. And also appeared to be talking to someone. 

It might be interesting to record it if it happens again and post it on the internet to see if it sounds like any particular foreign language of the present or past. It could also be your mind creating gibberish of course.

11 minutes ago, Momof6 said:

He was clearly freaked out. I was too And tried to not fall asleep again. 

I'd say just relax. This doesn't sound dangerous at this point.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

If it were recorded and found to be a legit language that you had not previously learned, then you would have a story worthy of national recognition from people in many disciplines: psychology, linguistics, paranormal research, etc. 

Not to mention a thorough thrashing on this forum. LOL

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

But...don't get excited. The odds of your babbling being a real language are exceedingly rare. About the same as you winning the lottery. 

And even if it is a real language, it doesn't mean there's anything odd going on. It could be something heard on TV.
Some of the shows and movies I watch has both Spanish, French and Arabic in them. I don't understand those languages, but I know my brain is capable of remembering what is said, even if it doesn't understand it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momof6 said:

Out of curiosity, if it were real, what would that mean?

That your brain is processing information and you are probably having a dream conversation which is causing you to sleep talk. It's pretty much meaningless. 

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/sleep-talking

Sleep talking, formally known as somniloquy, is a sleep disorder defined as talking during sleep without being aware of it. Sleep talking can involve complicated dialogues or monologues, complete gibberish or mumbling. The good news is that for most people it is a rare and short-lived occurrence. Anyone can experience sleep talking, but the condition is more common in males and children.

Sleep-talkers are not typically aware of their behaviors or speech; therefore their voices and the type of language they use may sound different from their wakeful speech. Sleep talking may be spontaneous or induced by conversation with the sleeper.

Little is known about the content of the sleep talking: some talking makes no sense at all and some of it may relate to past events, experiences, and relationships that no longer have current relevance or emotional impact. Modern sleep science and the law accept that sleep talking is not a product of a conscious or rational mind and is therefore usually inadmissible in court.

Although not physically harmful, sleep talking can cause embarrassment and can annoy a bed partner, roommate, or be disruptive in group-sleeping situations. Because of this, sleep talkers are sometimes afraid to sleep away from home and can cause insomnia in a person sleeping nearby.

https://sleepdisorders.sleepfoundation.org/chapter-8-variants/sleep-talking/

1 minute ago, Momof6 said:

Don't worry none, as real as it can get it won't be as real as the movies. 

Funny story, this did happen to a pal of mine. He didn't tell the wife though, he told us and like the kind of friends we were, we had a good laugh. He usually was groggy when woken by the wife and can't make heads or tails of what she was mumbling so yeah, record it, we agreed. 

Turns out she was doing something like a Gordan Ramsey voice going... 

"alf a cup orf utter, mumble mumble flour mumble eggs... "

She was going through culinary school exams... 

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Momof6 said:

One possibility is memory from a past life. 

• Haha 3

Oh what I'll give if only she was singing... 

[00.05:35]

~

I talked to my husband a moment ago, and he said what struck him, is how it sounded so cohesive. He said I spoke with pauses and exclamation, as if I were speaking my own language. He also said I reached for the sky with one arm while doing it.  He said it was very clear, no slur, and clear. 

• Like 2

Stress brings out some unexpected behaviors, and we are under a lot of it right now. Sleep disorders would be among the least of it and I am sure many are having more insomnia, sleep paralysis and other things cropping up. You are ok. Maybe reducing caffeine and relaxing more the hour or two before you go to bed will help you relax more easily? 

If you watch these crazy doom and gloom news reporters very much, this is the least we might expect in stress reactions :( 

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

@Momof6 Welcome to the forum!  :st

3 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Disagree. If someone's babbling a legit and coherent, congegally correct language in their sleep that they do not speak at all, but just heard snippets of on a movie, that is very rare. As far as you claiming you remember foreign languages phonetically...which is what you're doing if you remember phrases but don't understand them...I would bet you don't recite those sounds..which is all they are to you...in your sleep. 

I concur that it would be rare, but it is, however, a plausible explanation.

This happens when people go under anesthesia, why not? Maybe it is the same mechanism. Whatever that is.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it!

Chanting in an unknown language is preferable to shouting abuse in plain English.

8 hours ago, Momof6 said:

My husband and I went to bed. I was having trouble falling asleep. I finally drifted off, for how long I don’t know. I think it had been a couple hours. I woke up and had to pee. After returning my husband said, are you ok? I said yes, why? He says, you have been chanting in your sleep in an unknown language. And also appeared to be talking to someone. He was clearly freaked out. I was too And tried to not fall asleep again. 

I used to talk in my sleep when I was in my teens, I never found it concerning I actually found it quite humorous at times, my sister said she would have conversations with me which I never remembered.  My partner has said he's never heard me talk in my sleep so I guess I grew out of it. 

13 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

And even if it is a real language, it doesn't mean there's anything odd going on. It could be something heard on TV.
Some of the shows and movies I watch has both Spanish, French and Arabic in them. I don't understand those languages, but I know my brain is capable of remembering what is said, even if it doesn't understand it.

Fantastic, I wrote something similar on this forum. After flying with lufthansa I hear German words later in my mind. I am able to reproduce sentences and by doing a google translation repeating them by voice, it turns out to be real words my brain is memorizing.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Momof6 said:

Very interesting, never heard of this while someone is sleeping.   I'd like to ask, do you belong to any particular faith?   The reason I'm asking is that some, such as the Pentecostles speak in tongues.   Perhaps some other faiths do too, but with all the stress we are all under right now it's just a thought.

I’m not sure what I have been saying, my husband said he will record it if it happens again.  It he did say it lasted over 8 mins, so I don’t think I could regurgitate something I heard on a movie that lasted that long. He said it was clear and spoken as if communicating with someone else. 

1 hour ago, Momof6 said:

I’m not sure what I have been saying, my husband said he will record it if it happens again.  It he did say it lasted over 8 mins, so I don’t think I could regurgitate something I heard on a movie that lasted that long. He said it was clear and spoken as if communicating with someone else. 

I also believe that in the sleep state we can be in contact with and communicate with entities of the spirit world (astral plane). Sounds like a possibility here. But again, I wouldn't worry about it being a bad thing. 

Spiritually sensitive people tell us we have abilities and activities at the astral level that we don't remember upon waking. Human consciousness is indeed deep and fascinating.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

I used to talk in my sleep when I was in my teens, I never found it concerning I actually found it quite humorous at times, my sister said she would have conversations with me which I never remembered.  My partner has said he's never heard me talk in my sleep so I guess I grew out of it. 

I do too. I actually walk off occasionally going who knows where. I have witnessed two people both sleep talking to each other in a full conversation, the interesting part is that they used FAR more complex words and had much more intelligent conversation that either were capable of while awake.

Sounds like a case of Pentecostal Christian satanic possession.  Speaking in tongues and all that. Get a Catholiic priest to do an exorcism.