Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
the-Unexpected-Soul

conspiracy theories are the new movies

the-Unexpected-Soul

i feel that part of what makes people drawn to conspiracy theories is that its like whatching a very intriguing movie or series, where there is twists and surprises, and you can revele and learn many mysterious things the more you follow it, its like watching a movie about a man with an evil plan, 

now what makes a movie a great one is if it was belivble, based on real life, and you can relate to it,

this is exactly what conspiracy theories does,

but in the end i feel its okay to follow conspiracy theories for the entertainment value, and also you can learn many things along the way, but one should be careful not to fall for its force completely, you could start believing in non-sense if you are not careful

• Thanks 1

and then
7 minutes ago, the-Unexpected-Soul said:

you could start believing in non-sense if you are not careful

I'm concerned that the global population has already fallen for so much misinformation that we no longer are able to trust anyone completely.  That can have bad consequences at times :( 

19_Kilo
28 minutes ago, the-Unexpected-Soul said:

i feel that part of what makes people drawn to conspiracy theories is that its like whatching a very intriguing movie or series, where there is twists and surprises, and you can revele and learn many mysterious things the more you follow it, its like watching a movie about a man with an evil plan, 

now what makes a movie a great one is if it was belivble, based on real life, and you can relate to it,

this is exactly what conspiracy theories does,

but in the end i feel its okay to follow conspiracy theories for the entertainment value, and also you can learn many things along the way, but one should be careful not to fall for its force completely, you could start believing in non-sense if you are not careful

So, basically you're saying that you think many people get into conspiracy theories for the entertainment value. While I agree that may be the reason for some, and is likely at least part of the allure for many Conspiracy Theorists, I have always had my own hypothesis on this topic that I can share, and in fact feel pretty confident that it's an even more common cause of folks loving to fabricate CT's...

Our Evolved Human Mind. Ahh..the great and powerfully homo sapien sapiens. Our freakishly complex brain, and especially our frontal lobes, have enabled us to reach the pinnacle of the food chain. We have outlasted all the other two dozen or subspecies of bipedal hominid primates. And we did this despite being beset with frail, vulnerable, easily-injured physical bodies.

Most humans couldn't last two weeks alone and unaided in the wilds. But because of our great brains, we don't have to. We have created our own optimal conditions and woe betide the animal who got in our way while we climbed to the top and reworked the planet to suit us. Something no other animal in history has ever come remotely close to doing. Or even comprehending.

Our brains evolved many psychology skills that helped us achieve our dominance. And one of those skills, indeed one that many anthro and psych guys say is arguably the most valuable, has been.........

Looking for and discerning patterns and causes in nature and our world.

The human mind abhors, hates, detects, randomness. It lives order, reason, patterns, symnetry.

This served us well as hunter gatherer on the unforgiving Savannah. "Hey, looks like those deer come here to drink water after it rains! They would be vulnerable to killing then."

"This plant grows delicious berries after the weather has been warm for about 60 sleeps."

But nowadays we don't need to worry so much about those sort of things. We don't need to detect patterns in nature in order to survive. We just go to the store.

But our brain's still have that vestigial traiit: pattern seeking. And it still detects randomness and uncertainty.

Thus...it hates to accept that a lonely, angry, wannabe anarchist could take down a beloved President while he rode in his limo on a sunny morning.

Or that viruses and diseases are a natural and oft-occurring event that can and have killed more animals than all the wars in history. Thus they don't need to be created in a lab by evil scientists and unleashed on the world. 

Or that brainwashed religious zealots with the necessary means and training can hijack commercial airliners and crash them into buildings and kill thousand of people from a country they detest and fear...without needing assistance or orchestration from that nation's Secret Government.

All those things are anathema. To the homo sapien mind.

So to salve the pain of those thoughts, the mind insists on believing there was a huge, powerful, irrefutable reason for them. That somebody, or all powerful entity, was behind the scenes putting it all together. The mind feels much safer knowing The world is not chaotic, but can be counted on to fit patterns and make sense.

Voila! Conspiracy Theories are borne!

• Like 3

sci-nerd

I totally agree with your analysis, except one little detail

20 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Thus...it hates to accept that a lonely, angry, wannabe anarchist could take down a beloved President while he rode in his limo on a sunny morning.

I've only met two people in my life who believes Oswald alone (or at all) did it. You are the second.
JFK is a really bad example if you want to expose the follies of conspiracy theories. It's the only one of them that actually has merit.

• Like 3

_Only

Yeah, that's definitely got to be a part in it, but I think another part is that conspiracy theories are always a process of connecting dots. I think it also excites a big part in us naturally to see connections being made that we didn't consider before. Each connection made that seems plausible must be a good natural feeling in us humans, like we succeeded in something, if that makes sense.

_Only
2 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

JFK is a really bad example if you want to expose the follies of conspiracy theories. It's the only one of them that actually has merit.

https://www.rd.com/culture/conspiracy-theories-that-turned-out-to-be-true/

sci-nerd
31 minutes ago, _Only said:

It has to be at least generally known, to be classified as a real conspiracy theory. If 999 of a 1,000 never heard of it, it's more like a "WTF? Did that really happen?", and then you forget about it. A real conspiracy theory is persistent, and even makes it to mainstream media. Most of those examples just don't qualify. The exceptions being MK-Ultra, internet surveillance and tobacco cover-ups, who are decades old news, and nothing anyone can get excited about today.

But it is an entertaining article!

Essan

I've always considered CTs to be the new religion: there's seems to be an innate human need to have someone/something to blame for everything.  So if we can't blame Aunt Maud's illness on God, let's blame it on chemtrails or 5G masts instead ....   Only as you mature does it become possible to accept that something things just happen.

Of course, in many cases where CTs are invoked, the real explanation is human incompetence ;)