Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The terrifying Baak demon of Assam

Eldorado

"Among the most fearsome creatures in the world, in real life as well as lore, the truly unsettling ones are usually found in deep waters.

"I mean, just look at the anglerfish for god's sake - if that doesn't look like something straight out of a Lovecraft horror saga, I don't know what does.

"In  Assam, locals have a deep-rooted fear of the Baak, a grotesque looking creature that inhabits ponds and lakes. It kills its victims, then hides the body deep underwater.

"This malevolent spirit occupies isolated spots where few people venture, and even fewer return from."

Full monty at Scoop Whoop: Link:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

"Among the most fearsome creatures in the world, in real life as well as lore, the truly unsettling ones are usually found in deep waters.

"I mean, just look at the anglerfish for god's sake - if that doesn't look like something straight out of a Lovecraft horror saga, I don't know what does.

"In  Assam, locals have a deep-rooted fear of the Baak, a grotesque looking creature that inhabits ponds and lakes. It kills its victims, then hides the body deep underwater.

"This malevolent spirit occupies isolated spots where few people venture, and even fewer return from."

Full monty at Scoop Whoop: Link:

It look like a croc behavior...

• Thanks 1

And this is Baak

2da4f31e-d982-4964-94e4-c3ad23dda4ba.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Human folklore contains an awful lot of spirit beings that drown people.  Some of them are beautiful like the Rusalka, while others are ugly like Jenny Greenteeth, but the belief of ghosts that drown people is a common theme across pretty much every human society, much like ghosts themselves.  This is pretty solid evidence of two ideas (1) ghosts exist and are a common human experience (2) Ghost stories are incredibly ancient, dating back to a very early stage of human existence, and that is why these ideas are present in all cultures.

That's not evidence at all. Myths about ghosts differ immensely around the globe.