Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus: US 'wants 3M to end mask exports

Great Old Man

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52161032

what do you think about this incident?

Canada is alliance, isn't it?

Canada also supplies numerous medical equipment to the USA?

I want to hear your opinions.

Edited by Great Old Man
  • Like 3

China and India made the same kind of decision very early in this outbreak.  There is an old kernel of wisdom:

Nations have interests, not friends.  Any U.S. president that could be accused of favoring the citizens of any other country over the lives of Americans would be universally hated.  There is no way to make enough to please all needs.  Our allies will have to make their own decisions.

• Like 2

There is much nuance.

The official line is that previously committed export orders will be filled. The "rule of law" saves lives in the long run, but if things get bad enough, the rule of law will end, too. Long run considerations will yield to Keynes' law: in the long run, we're all dead. Things aren't bad enough for that today, and who knows? The universe might yet cut us a break on this thing. The rule of law still stands.

It is amusing to read, "Any U.S. president that could be accused of favoring the citizens of any other country over the lives of Americans would be universally hated." US Presidents of both paries have found some American lives expendible for the benefit of Iraqi, Afghan, ..., Korean (since the OP reminds of us of alliances), ... citizens.

The trick seems to be to find meaning in the sacrifice. If push did come to shove, then Canada has a special claim on the United States' help in urgent times, and as an American, I hope Canadians look kindly upon us, too. Sometimes, a nation's permanent interest is friendship.

There will be another day. It's not only "us."

Like everybody else, I love that song from Rent, but in context it is sung by people living under a death sentence. It sounds good, but you really don't want to live that way.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, eight bits said:

Sometimes, a nation's permanent interest is friendship.

Didn't say I agreed with the situation.  The fact is that people want government to do its job and the primary job is defense of life here.  The same is true for all other nations.  This shortage of PPE will be overcome in the short term, I hope, and then we can begin helping the needs of others - like we've done for decades...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eight bits said:

There is much nuance.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-admin-weighs-legal-action-over-alleged-chinese-hoarding-of-ppe

China doesn't DO, "nuance".  As to Canada, when the cases reach near a crisis level as they are in several U.S. cities NOW, I'm sure we will help as much as possible.

2 hours ago, and then said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-admin-weighs-legal-action-over-alleged-chinese-hoarding-of-ppe

China doesn't DO, "nuance".  As to Canada, when the cases reach near a crisis level as they are in several U.S. cities NOW, I'm sure we will help as much as possible.

If only people had told you your leadership was talking ****e, perhaps you wouldn't be at crisis levels. 

Oh wait, we did. But remember, it's 'just a bad cold', will 'disappear in April' and 'measures will no longer be needed by Easter'. 

You have 6 days. 

15 hours ago, and then said:

Hello AT. Hope you are well. 

Looks like Trump got the message that was sent from Canada who is actually in charge of the N95. 

You are welcome! :)