Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Afraid of the tornados

docyabut2

I've spent a night hunkered down in a wood frame house during a Category 3 hurricane and while I never SAW any tornadoes, I heard many of them.  I'd heard people who've experienced them say it sounded like a "freight train" coming at them.  That's exactly what I heard.  I stopped counting after the 12th one :(  

Edited by and then
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Tornadoes can definitely be terrifying, especially that event on Palm Sunday back in 1965! I remember watching a documentary once on that.

I remember driving home from work during a really bad thunderstorm back in the mid 90's and seeing a tornado cross over the road I was driving on and it flipping 3 cars into the air! It was terrifying and something I will never forget.

Edited by drakonwick
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

21 minutes ago, and then said:

I've spent a night hunkered down in a wood frame house during a Category 3 hurricane and while I never SAW any tornadoes, I heard many of them.  I'd heard people who've experienced them say it sounded like a "freight train" coming at them.  That's exactly what I heard.  I stopped counting after the 12th one :(  

I had one come by my house some years ago. To me, it sounded like 20 freight trains coming at me from every direction. It’s kind of rough waking up to that at 2:00 AM! 

• Sad 4

19 minutes ago, and then said:

I remember I was use to spending the night with my girl friend  but did not that night ,  her whole house was wiped out . her and  her family was out .The next day  I saw  cars in the river and boats on the land and saw 13 dead people at the fire station "( I also that night my ears plugged up  and I heard a "freight train

• Sad 4

The most incredible thing about Tornados to me, is the size and almost unreal wind power they can produce! An EF5 can reach over a mile wide with winds sometimes exceeding 265+ mph devastating whole towns in it's path.

Edited by drakonwick
  • Like 4

on gee all we got to worry about the virus hitting us, but now the  tornados hitting us this spring :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My first blog post on UM was about my tornado adventure. It’s a long post, but here it is:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, drakonwick said:

The most incredible thing to me about Tornadoes to me, is the size and almost unreal wind power they can produce! An EF5 can reach over a mile wide with winds sometimes exceeding 265+ mph devastating whole town in it's path.

When I was little I remember opening the porch door and watching the neighboring farms metal pool whipping around like a Mobius strip before my grandmom grabbed me and took me into the wine cellar.

Then as a teen I almost killed my stepmother's best stallion outrunning a low and wide "growler". 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

When I was little I remember opening the porch door and watching the neighboring farms metal pool whipping around like a Mobius strip before my grandmom grabbed me and took me into the wine cellar.

Then as a teen I almost killed my stepmother's best stallion outrunning a low and wide "growler". 

I'm just thankfully glad that they are rare here where I live in NC! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, drakonwick said:

I'm just thankfully glad that they are rare here where I live in NC! 

My secret when I lived in my camper was park on high ground. They generally follow low ground. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

My secret when I lived in my camper was park on high ground. They generally follow low ground. 

Indeed, they do! Wild fluctuations in upper air temps and ground temps can cause them to act erratic, jumping around and quickly changing paths.

• Like 1

I've had a couple go past me in my life.   Never hit me though.  

Had one hit the farm a couple of decades ago. Took the loafing shed roof and about 45' of the dairy barn roof and wrapped it around the silo. Large section severed the telephone poll with the transformer and deposited it on the road. The rest of the debris was scattered in the neighbors cornfield for about 750 yds. 

Mom had went out to roll up the truck windows and the wind was so strong that she couldn't make it back into the house and she had a front row seat to the carnage. About 20' from where she was standing was a 8" tree and a large section of the barn roof cut the tree completely in two.

Funny thing was when she called me and said there was storm damage and I asked how bad was it and she said "Weeelllllllllllllll you better just come down and see for yourself" I was not prepared for the destruction. :(

These things are not to be messed with. Get into cover and get into cover fast.

• Like 1