Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

The Neanderthal made string?

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

"It looked like a white splotch on the underside of a Neanderthal stone tool. But a microscope showed it was a bunch of fibers twisted around each other.

"Further examination revealed it was the first direct evidence that Neanderthals could make string, and the oldest known direct evidence for string-making overall, researchers say.

"The find implies our evolutionary cousins had some understanding of numbers and the trees that furnished the raw material, they say.

"It's the latest discovery to show Neanderthals were smarter than modern-day people often assume."

Full article at Phys Org: Link

"Direct evidence of Neanderthal fibre technology and its cognitive and behavioral implications"

Research at Nature dot com: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

hetrodoxly

The fact they could break a length of vine and have something for binding it isn't much of a stretch to see a little processing would give them something more malleable, stinging nettles make good cordage, that's my 'string theory' anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taun

That's really cool and all, but let me ask the important question...

Since they "made string" did they make yo-yo's?...

• Haha 1

jbondo

I think science is great, but it's often presented in a way that pushes the envelope. Using words such as "likely" opens the door where it is accepted as truth. Public schools are often guilty of taking science theory and teaching it as fact. The truth is, they have no idea if Neanderthals made string. It's merely an association combined with speculation based on a dating process that "may be" off by a wide margin.

• Like 1

Stiff

So this is what a 'String Theory' is.  I don't know what all the fuss is about. It seems pretty simple to me.

• Haha 3

Herr Falukorv

I wonder if they were able to make regular underpants and briefs too...

• Like 2