Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Seeming Hate For Materialism

XenoFish

ee8tR2-EiDNRm97746uXXkxtrU-SZTQNWtYJ3FZh

I've noticed something that pops up from time to time. The seeming animosity towards those who have little to no regard towards things spiritual, why? 

We are made of matter, thus such things as spirit or soul should be measurable. Yet it has not. All spiritual phenomena are the results of neurochemical.

Yet a material view is wrong?

So the question is; What is so wrong about materialism and why are you anti-materialist?

(This isn't about greed or the common image of a materialist, this revolves around the spirituality vs skepticism kind)

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Rlyeh said:

Materialism doesn't make me feel special.

It shouldn't make anyone feel special. 

• Like 4

Just now, XenoFish said:

It shouldn't make anyone feel special. 

Therefore it's wrong.

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Therefore it's wrong.

Of course. Yet here we are, made of tiny tiny things. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Of course. Yet here we are, made of tiny tiny things. 

Material things, one could even venture

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I'm sure you'll just get the canned replies of "I just think there's something more...", "science doesn't know everything....", "blah blah god blah blah".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I'm sure you'll just get the canned replies of "I just think there's something more...", "science doesn't know everything....", "blah blah god blah blah".

Without a doubt and I expect it. Hopefully with more depth than a mudpuddle. 

• Like 6

Let's focus on material girls... They're more fun... if you can provide the materials... 

[00.04:43]

~

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

What is so wrong about materialism

Nothing, so long that it isn't at war with spiritual realities.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

and why are you anti-materialist?

Although being against established traditional religion is understandable, the real question is, why are you anti-spiritual?

Materialism is just a state of mind that allows such vulnerable theories as those of a mechanistic universe to deprive oneself of the vast spiritual resources of the personal experience of true religion.

Facts never quarrel with real spiritual faith; theories may. Better that science should be devoted to the destruction of superstition rather than attempting the overthrow of religious faith—human belief in spiritual realities 

Source

I think materialism and materialistic has a negative condintation because people use the other definition 

ma·te·ri·al·ist
/məˈtirēələst/

noun
  1. 1.
    a person who considers material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.
    "greedy materialists lusting for consumer baubles"
  • Thanks 5

I just wonder there is such a zealous animosity. Those who basically chant anti-materialism and anti-skepticism. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I've noticed something that pops up from time to time. The seeming animosity towards those who have little to no regard towards things spiritual, why? 

We are made of matter, thus such things as spirit or soul should be measurable. Yet it has not. All spiritual phenomena are the results of neurochemical.

So the question is; What is so wrong about materialism and why are you anti-materialist?

(This isn't about greed or the common image of a materialist, this revolves around the spirituality vs skepticism kind)

I’m so glad you started this thread. :tu:  :yes:  

I’ve always felt, that I was a kind of spiritualistic type of person. I would only consider myself that, being open to everyone else and their paths. But I think what’s interestingly enough, I have always thought of materialism as that just coveting material things. (I just can’t catch up to the times, can I now. :blush: ) It wasn’t until now, and here on these boards, that the meaning of materialism used here was noticed by me. (Did that come out right?) Anyways, I could never feel anyone would just be straight up simply materialistic by this meaning. (Me just feeling that, a subjective feeling not being pushed to be objectively looked) When some here complained of others being materialistic or just consider them only viewing materialism, I would think, why be bothered by someone worshipping their tv! :w00t:  *shrugs* 

I feel, spiritualism and materialism (my feeling of materialism) goes hand in hand together. I have always felt my version of spiritualism looks at materialism with responsibility and not get carried away. And................. still consider myself a work in progress in this path. 

Now, viewing the meaning here of materialism, well.................... it’s what proven objectively, right? I mean, I also feel, that no matter how spiritual we are, or not, aren’t we materialists  at heart?! Isn’t it the objective view?!?

So, in that manner, if there are those that put down materialists, that really gets me to *huh* to this. It’s what’s there for all to see, use, participate in. Can you live on spiritualism alone?!?! I know, I can’t. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Well, I do feel that........... but only on a subjective level. Not pushing it, and understanding the material way of the world. (All of a sudden, I’m getting an instant flash on my ear worm of the ‘Police’s’ “We are spirits in the material world” ) 

As I have said, materialism, all meanings of it as I see it, is here for all of us, to envelope ourselves into, whether we like it or not. I mean, it’s there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:
4 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Without a doubt and I expect it. Hopefully with more depth than a mudpuddle. 

Well, mud puddles are materialistic, right!? ;)  :devil:  

I think, it’s interesting in a sort of way, how there is to me, a different meaning than what I have always looked at it. 

1 hour ago, Will Due said:
4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

What is so wrong about materialism

Nothing, so long that it isn't at war with spiritual realities.

That’s the thing, how can spiritual situations look to all as a reality? And, I mean, as something objective for all to witness, like a train wreck, chocolate pudding,........”Tiger King” yadda, yadda, yadda.......

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

and why are you anti-materialist?

Although being against established traditional religion is understandable, the real question is, why are you anti-spiritual?

Didn’t he asked first? 

Materialism is just a state of mind that allows such vulnerable theories as those of a mechanistic universe to deprive oneself of the vast spiritual resources of the personal experience of true religion.

That is if, the religion is actually true. If I remember correctly, since you have been asked to prove it, and I don’t think you have, this could be that there wasn’t really anything to show a true objective religion. To further my thoughts on this, materialism is objective and therefor cannot be overlooked. 

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I think materialism and materialistic has a negative condintation because people use the other definition 

ma·te·ri·al·ist
/məˈtirēələst/

noun
  1. 1.
    a person who considers material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.
    "greedy materialists lusting for consumer baubles"

Exactly! Just like me! :D   (.......... wait! Should I be proud of that?!?!  :o  )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I just wonder there is such a zealous animosity. Those who basically chant anti-materialism and anti-skepticism. 

I have always felt, that my particular spiritualism allows me to be open to all and their views. I feel, so very confident in my path, that I accept and see the reality of others. Atheism, Agnostic outlooks, religious, and so forth. I always makes me think of those who are critical of other’s view, seem to be behaving like they are threatened by it. (My outlook on it, very subjective) 

Despite the fact, materialism is provable, one should realize that is the reality more so than various forms of spiritualism. That includes my own. 

Oh boy. Another reverse logic way for materialists to bash religion and spiritualism. Take it and run with it, guys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Oh boy. Another reverse logic way for materialists to bash religion and spiritualism. Take it and run with it, guys.

No an honest question. I get the use of religion and spirituality for meaning making.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Facts never quarrel with real spiritual faith; theories may. Better that science should be devoted to the destruction of superstition rather than attempting the overthrow of religious faith—human belief in spiritual realities 

2. Emergent energy embraces those energies which are responsive to Paradise gravity but are as yet unresponsive to local or linear gravity. This is the pre-electronic level of energy-matter.

And God didn't understand what gravity was even after Einstein explained it in 1916.............

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No an honest question. I get the use of religion and spirituality for meaning making.

Bullshyt. I've been here too long and have seen it too many times. Just look at who comes running every time to take their turn with their dagger. The usual crowd is already here, already mocking and belittling. Well, it's your circus, Xeno--enjoy the peanuts.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Bullshyt. I've been here too long and have seen it too many times. Just look at who comes running every time to take their turn with their dagger. The usual crowd is already here, already mocking and belittling. Well, it's your circus, Xeno--enjoy the peanuts.

Thanks for nothing then. As I personally consider/ed you one of the good few of faith. 

6 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Xeno and I shop at the same peanut store - well, with 6 feet of separation these days.  Damn good peanuts, and I know I'll be going back. 

I'm only looking for information and perspective. The usual 'anti' individuals never seem to be able to explain why non-believers are wrong. This is their chance. Because all of us should question what we believe from time to time. Only a narrow and closed mind doesn't. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I've noticed something that pops up from time to time. The seeming (1) ...animosity towards those who have little to no regard towards things spiritual, why? 

...(2) ... are made of matter, thus such things as spirit or soul should be measurable. Yet it has not. (3)... spiritual phenomena are the results of neurochemical.

(4)...So the question is; What is so wrong about materialism and why are you anti-materialist?

(1)...I have no animosity toward anyone, other than perhaps someone who puts materialism above their own, and others ,humanity.

(2)... ,we are made of matter....but what if spirit or soul is not made of matter?  Should it still be measurable?

(3)... In my opinion, that is an opinion.

(4)... i'm not exactly anti-materialist....more like anti-closed mindedist.

I feel that I don't know anything for absolutely certain, except, perhaps, that no one else does either. :P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lightly said:

(2)... ,we are made of matter....but what if spirit or soul is not made of matter?  Should it still be measurable?

If the soul isn't made of something then how can people claim proof of its existence? It would have to consist of some thing. I fully understand the use of the word soul as in psyche or consciousness, I get that, but so far nothing indicates an immortal soul. 

• Like 1

It goes both ways. I find the materialist more vehement against claims of the spiritual actually. But both ways there develops egos. Try politics too, LOL.

Well, the spiritualist would say these things are of another plane/dimension not directly detectable by the physical senses and instruments. Why would a materialist maintain only things that are physically measurable are real when there seems to be much psychic/paranormal evidence to the contrary.

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I

Materialism is valid thinking so most of us spiritualist types are not really anti-materialists but do feel materialism is wrong from the evidence.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked