Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Schools

LucidElement

On 4/13/2020 at 5:43 PM, Piney said:

Developed from the Hindu and Buddhist influence brought back by Alexander's troops.

Because most sacred writings were destroyed, it was forgotten in the West that Hindu and Buddhist Temples and teachings were found all over the Greek World up until the fall of Rome. 

Is that true, I mean is there evidence for it?. 

I'm not disagreeing, just curious, (and at least two of the names on the list, (Aeschylus, Plato), were a generation or so before Alexander. 

I'm aware of the Indo-Greek kingdoms, just not of Hindu or Buddhist influences before then,nor have I recognised hindu or Buddhist influences in Platonic writings, (such as they are). 

I'm just an amateur, mind. 

Edited by Jon101
Unclear question.

3 minutes ago, Jon101 said:

Is that true, I mean is there evidence for it?. 

I'm not disagreeing, just curious, (and at least two of the names on the list, (Aeschylus, Plato), were a generation or so before Alexander. 

Plato wasn't secretive about his teachings and there is no evidence of him being connected to a school that was. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply Piney, I worded the question badly and meant only to express curiosity regarding outside philosophical influences predating Alexander's campaigns.

I see now that you didn't refer to such. 

Edited by Jon101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1