Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Jujo-jo

Meanwhile in Michigan...

134 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Buzz_Light_Year

Well what did Ms. Hitler expect. You can buy alcohol and lottery tickets but you can't buy garden seed to plant your garden. Throw the b* out.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens

Yea, kinda embarrassing.  On the good side it resulted in some excellent jokes. 

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/television/2020/04/17/colbert-kimmel-michigan-protest-stay-home-lansing/5150743002/

 

"On the CBS 'Late Show," Colbert noted that 'Operation Gridlock,' as the parade of horn-honking cars and trucks in the state's capital was called, had some problems with its internal logic.

"Who are you gridlocking?" asked Colbert. "There's nobody else out there! Blocking empty streets is like streaking in your shower. It doesn't count."

Comparing the event to a "free-floating" Trump rally," Colbert pointed out that the protesters carried Trump and MAGA signs and even Confederate flags.

"Because nothing says never surrender like a Confederate flag," he added."

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Wistman

I suppose if some of the lovely people of Holland, MI start dropping they may reconsider this strategy.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

Michigan, with nearly 30,000 cases and death toll of 2,100.  Okay then.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jujo-jo

She's dug herself a hole unfortunately...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jujo-jo
48 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Well what did Ms. Hitler expect. You can buy alcohol and lottery tickets but you can't buy garden seed to plant your garden. Throw the b* out.

"Miss Hilter"

lmao

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jujo-jo
52 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Well what did Ms. Hitler expect. You can buy alcohol and lottery tickets but you can't buy garden seed to plant your garden. Throw the b* out.

This is lovely!...

Now the thought was one thing... but once you put a visual out there, oh boy, how cruel.

Poor women what was she thinking!

Michigans-Democratic-Governor-Gretchen-Whitmer-1280x720.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
1 hour ago, The Wistman said:

I suppose if some of the lovely people of Holland, MI start dropping they may reconsider this strategy.

Don't count on it. If they had any brains those people would be able to understand why the lockdown is necesary. Say it as it is, this is a Trump-staged political revolt that, yet again, endangeres peoples lifes.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56

How weird.  Home Depot and Lowes are the busiest stores in town here.  Why can't they buy seeds and paint in Michigan?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1

As a Michigander myself, I am thinking politicians (especially anti-Trump Democrats like our Gov. Whitmer) may lose perspective on the human toll of shutting so many lives like mine down. The economic, business, jobs, mental health, social, educational, etcetera losses may not be getting their due respect. The fear of the virus spread may be causing us to lose focus on the fact that around 99% of the infected recover and those that do die are disproportionally of already weakened health and advanced age.

I'm sure the stress of the shutdown will also cause increased physical illnesses and shorten lives in ways that are not directly measurable as 'Confirmed Cases' and 'Deaths'. 

Now, the critics may try to twist what I'm saying into; I don't care about lives as long as I can have my economy and freedoms. That shows their loss of perspective that I am talking about. My concern is for maximizing the overall quality of life for all which means wise tradeoffs.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

As a Michigander myself, I am thinking politicians (especially anti-Trump Democrats like our Gov. Whitmer) may lose perspective on the human toll of shutting so many lives like mine down. The economic, business, jobs, mental health, social, educational, etcetera losses may not be getting their due respect. The fear of the virus spread may be causing us to lose focus on the fact that around 99% of the infected recover and those that do die are disproportionally of already weakened health and advanced age.

I'm sure the stress of the shutdown will also cause increased physical illnesses and shorten lives in ways that are not directly measurable as 'Confirmed Cases' and 'Deaths'. 

Now, the critics may try to twist what I'm saying into; I don't care about lives as long as I can have my economy and freedoms. That shows their loss of perspective that I am talking about. My concern is for maximizing the overall quality of life for all which means wise tradeoffs.

As bad as you think it is in Michigan I suspect you would not like being in Australia right now.  One walk a day and one trip to the grocery store a week, if you travel out of state you have to quarantine for 2 weeks before you can do what ever brought you across state borders, and before you cross back home you have to quarantine 2 more weeks, then when you get home you are quarantined 2 weeks.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

As bad as you think it is in Michigan I suspect you would not like being in Australia right now.  One walk a day and one trip to the grocery store a week, if you travel out of state you have to quarantine for 2 weeks before you can do what ever brought you across state borders, and before you cross back home you have to quarantine 2 more weeks, then when you get home you are quarantined 2 weeks.

Wow, I hope they are giving due consideration to the economic, jobs, mental health, social, educational, etcetera tolls of doing all that when forming policy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Wow, I hope they are giving due consideration to the economic, jobs, mental health, social, educational, etcetera tolls of doing all that when forming policy.

 They are concerned about keeping people from getting the virus.  I can't speak to their economy, the one walk a day is an attempt at considering mental health.  In the U.S. people who take walks are not as common as those who stay home and play video games, and I suspect the walkers are healthier mentally.  It really isn't something you can judge from where you are how other countries do things because perspective is lacking.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

As a Michigander myself, I am thinking politicians (especially anti-Trump Democrats like our Gov. Whitmer) may lose perspective on the human toll of shutting so many lives like mine down. The economic, business, jobs, mental health, social, educational, etcetera losses may not be getting their due respect. The fear of the virus spread may be causing us to lose focus on the fact that around 99% of the infected recover and those that do die are disproportionally of already weakened health and advanced age.

I'm sure the stress of the shutdown will also cause increased physical illnesses and shorten lives in ways that are not directly measurable as 'Confirmed Cases' and 'Deaths'. 

Now, the critics may try to twist what I'm saying into; I don't care about lives as long as I can have my economy and freedoms. That shows their loss of perspective that I am talking about. My concern is for maximizing the overall quality of life for all which means wise tradeoffs.

As a Michigander myself I don't think Whitmer is losing perspective; she's in the middle of the worst emergency of most of our entire lifetimes, one we have very little experience with, and I think our state is currently ranking around 3rd as far as being the hardest hit.  I don't think what she's done is perfect but of course the actions of these non-social-distancing 'protesters' just proves her point; some people just aren't bright or selfless enough to protect others unless you try to enforce it with the government.  I'm sure the stress of the shutdown will probably shorten lives; I think seeing death counts rise and overwhelmed hospitals just might be equally as stressful and life shortening.

Conspicuously absent from the protest seems to be anyone working in health care or at hospitals right now, their opinion counts a lot more to me than these 'patriots' and I have a good idea already where their opinions fall on this issue.  I agree that the situation could be improved and more nuanced, but 'nuance' right now requires more time and people to enforce it, which requires more people in government, which these particular protesters are usually against.  If nothing else Whitmer seems to be playing it logically; better to be criticized for being overprotective at the temporary expense of people's 'liberties' than to be criticized for not doing enough to try and keep the casualty count down.

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

 They are concerned about keeping people from getting the virus.  I can't speak to their economy, the one walk a day is an attempt at considering mental health.  In the U.S. people who take walks are not as common as those who stay home and play video games, and I suspect the walkers are healthier mentally.  It really isn't something you can judge from where you are how other countries do things because perspective is lacking.

Actually, I take a one hour walk everyday during the closure. It is absolutely GREAT for my mental health through this. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
9 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

As a Michigander myself I don't think Whitmer is losing perspective; she's in the middle of the worst emergency of most of our entire lifetimes, one we have very little experience with, and I think our state is currently ranking around 3rd as far as being the hardest hit.  I don't think what she's done is perfect but of course the actions of these non-social-distancing 'protesters' just proves her point; some people just aren't bright or selfless enough to protect others unless you try to enforce it with the government.  I'm sure the stress of the shutdown will probably shorten lives; I think seeing death counts rise and overwhelmed hospitals just might be equally as stressful and life shortening.

Conspicuously absent from the protest seems to be anyone working in health care or at hospitals right now, their opinion counts a lot more to me than these 'patriots' and I have a good idea already where their opinions fall on this issue.  I agree that the situation could be improved and more nuanced, but 'nuance' right now requires more time and people to enforce it, which requires more people in government, which these particular protesters are usually against.  If nothing else Whitmer seems to be playing it logically; better to be criticized for being overprotective at the temporary expense of people's 'liberties' than to be criticized for not doing enough to try and keep the casualty count down.

I am thinking the balance is between minimizing social disruption while not overwhelming the healthcare system. I can't say that Whitmer is wrong but I lean more to worrying that we will lose perspective on the social cost of the shutdown in our considerations.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
17 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

As a Michigander myself, I am thinking politicians (especially anti-Trump Democrats like our Gov. Whitmer) may lose perspective on the human toll of shutting so many lives like mine down. The economic, business, jobs, mental health, social, educational, etcetera losses may not be getting their due respect. The fear of the virus spread may be causing us to lose focus on the fact that around 99% of the infected recover and those that do die are disproportionally of already weakened health and advanced age.

I'm sure the stress of the shutdown will also cause increased physical illnesses and shorten lives in ways that are not directly measurable as 'Confirmed Cases' and 'Deaths'. 

Now, the critics may try to twist what I'm saying into; I don't care about lives as long as I can have my economy and freedoms. That shows their loss of perspective that I am talking about. My concern is for maximizing the overall quality of life for all which means wise tradeoffs.

Paps, we don't know anything for sure. 99% recovery is just a preffered guess and it differs from area to area. 

Look up the difference between UK and Germany i.e. There is a huge difference in cases vs deaths vs recovered. Comparing to UK Germany seems unefected yet the recovery % in Germany is about 50% as of now and in UK 1% as of now. ONLY 1%!!!

Death rate in UK is 15% as of now and in Germany 1.5% as of now.

However, all those information are misleading because they lack a 100% accuracy in testing.

WE need to stay were we are to make safe that we do not get infected or not to infect anyone else. How hard is it to understand this?

I am effen going crazy at home, seen my children once from a distance in the past month. Did not have a smoke since March 15. Did not have my daily Timmies for a month. My wifes hair is getting grey, she is missing her friends and clients, the daily interaction.

But, this is all a small price to pay for the greater good. Stop being selfish and selfcentered. This planet is not yours only, it belongs to others too.

It is april and we have 151,000 deaths. If we don't listen to science and doctors ( I don't mean listening to sharlatans like OZ and Phil), the death toll will be easily 2mill by the end of year becasu of returning cases.

It starts in China again. The Virus is returning there. Don't tell me in 4 months we were not warned.

Again: April 17 2020. Covid 19 is on the rise again in China. WARNING TO OTHER COUNTRIES. DO NOT LOOSEN THE LOCKDOWN RESTRICTIONS YET.

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Wistman
1 hour ago, Jujo-jo said:

This is lovely!...

Now the thought was one thing... but once you put a visual out there, oh boy, how cruel.

Poor women what was she thinking!

Michigans-Democratic-Governor-Gretchen-Whitmer-1280x720.jpg

I'm confused.  Are you amused by this pic?  When you say 'What was she thinking?', what in particular are you referring to?  The things that were photoshopped in?

Because then there's ALWAYS this:

00.thumb.jpg.09f27d85d291e577ca737bcbc72d5e1a.jpg

Our very own Rodrigo Borgia.

Amused anybody?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
38 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

Amused anybody?

This was a real banner held up by a church's members at the Wildwood Trump rally.........

Amused anybody? 

a0b_trally52.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
44 minutes ago, odas said:

Did not have a smoke since March 15

GOOD!!! :yes:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Amused anybody? 

I am, and most unapologetically too... with apologies... 

~

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, third_eye said:

I am, and most unapologetically too... with apologies... 

Truth be told, so am I. ^_^

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year
7 minutes ago, Piney said:

This was a real banner held up by a church's members at the Wildwood Trump rally.........

Amused anybody? 

a0b_trally52.jpeg

 

Barack-Obama-The-Chosen-One-45503.jpg

120618-38-Art-History-George-Washignton-

Yeah! I'm amused.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.