Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Images reveal the glorious details of Jupiter

Still Waters

On April 10, as we humans were struggling through our new normal in a world wracked by a pandemic, a little space probe millions of kilometres away was marking a mission milestone. NASA spacecraft Juno made its 26th perijove, swooping in for a close flyby of Jupiter.

From this practically cuddling altitude of 4,200 kilometres (2,600 miles), the spacecraft can take close measurements of our Solar System's biggest planet. And, using its JunoCam instrument, it can take photographs that reveal the glorious details of Jupiter's swirling, turbulent clouds.

This image, processed from the raw images by NASA software engineer Kevin Gill and enhanced by space enthusiast Michael Galanin, shows the planet's north, an area raging with intense storms known as a folded filamentary region, the clouds stretched and folded by Jupiter's constant winds.

https://www.sciencealert.com/achingly-beautiful-image-shows-us-the-chaos-and-wonder-of-jupiter

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Wow!  Looks like an abstract painting! 238785408_jupiterjuno.jpg.35fb856dca7996778d47df7ea77e2e34.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Wow!  Looks like an abstract painting!

Yeah alto raw is less shiny so that one is kinda painted :)

That distance tho, 4200 km from 'surface'.

They are all 'painted'!

Raw:

JNCE_2020101_26C00023_V01-raw.jpg.9bb449c65c40925748014dba1f4d9962.jpg

It's not like an actual picture you'd take with your camera...it is colored according to other data.  They are all paintings.

I've been working with thinning and pouring acrylic paints onto canvases and panels for some time.

The effect is very similar to these photos.  I call them my Jupiter and Venus paintings.

here's an example1981376724_flowpainting_5412.jpg.8678406ff28b8c41f08a92d96852f259.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/18/2020 at 11:04 AM, quiXilver said:

I've been working with thinning and pouring acrylic paints onto canvases and panels for some time.

The effect is very similar to these photos.  I call them my Jupiter and Venus paintings.

here's an example1981376724_flowpainting_5412.jpg.8678406ff28b8c41f08a92d96852f259.jpg

:tu:

• 3 weeks later...

:tu:

Three years of imaging observations using the international Gemini Observatory, a program of NSF’s NOIRLab, have probed deep into Jupiter’s cloud tops. The ultra-sharp Gemini infrared images complement optical and ultraviolet observations by Hubble and radio observations by the Juno spacecraft to reveal new secrets about the giant planet.

Gemini Observatory

9fLHNRZ.jpg

Credit: Noir Lab

• Like 2