Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quoting a verse of a spiritual teaching

Cultivator of Fa

I have noticed in many forums people quote a tiny verse or some lines from a spiritual teaching, and then judge all the teaching upon this quote.

My question is as follow. How do you think that quoting a tiny section of a spiritual teaching can justify the massive critique that some people base a few lines upon?

Do people struggle to understand that a certain spiritual teaching are meant only for those who actually follow the teaching, and not for those who do not follow it or reject it?

To gain the wisdom from a spiritual teaching and actually understand its meaning and purpose, people have to practice it every day. only then do the inner wisdom arise.

[00.02:06]

What is an ocean but a multitude of drops... 

4 Dec 2013 · Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops? ... After all, history shows us that it only takes one person with an idea ...

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

What is the functional purpose of the spiritual teaching? Is it to help make life better for oneself and others, or is it just egotistical and self-centered? 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What is the functional purpose of the spiritual teaching? Is it to help make life better for oneself and others, or is it just egotistical and self-centered? 

In my understanding of spiritual cultivation.

It is both for helping others to realize the truth of existance, but to be able to do that one must do cultivation of once own mind and body so one can realize the truth within the spiritual path one has chosen to follow. Because if we our self has not understood the teaching, how can we help others to truly realize it?

Edited by Cultivator of Fa

Just now, Cultivator of Fa said:

In my understanding of spiritual cultivation.

It is both for helping others to realize the truth of existance, but to be able to do that one must do cultivation of one own mind and body so one can realize the truth within the spiritual path one has chosen to follow. Because if we our self has not understood the teaching, how can we help others to truly realize it?

The truth of existence is that we all die. What you speak of as "truth" is just an opinion. Who are you to help others see your way of things? Doesn't that devalue their own path?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

The truth of existence is that we all die. What you speak of as "truth" is just an opinion. Who are you to help others see your way of things? Doesn't that devalue their own path?

I have not said I as a person are able to help others yet, what i speak of here in this forum comes only from my own understanding of spiritual teaching, but since i am not a fully enlighten person i do not hold the full truth, nor do i claim to do so.

I do not hold opinion, my task as a cultivator is only to observe and to cultivate my own mind and body. I am not here to claim Falun Gong is for everyone or it is the only true path. I am here as a practitioner, but i do use the understanding i gained from the practice to express in words here.

But if you or others hold different views then I do that is of course ok to me. 

1 minute ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

I have not said I as a person are able to help others yet, what i speak of here in this forum comes only from my own understanding of spiritual teaching, but since i am not a fully enlighten person i do not hold the full truth, nor do i claim to do so.

I do not hold opinion, my task as a cultivator is only to observe and to cultivate my own mind and body. I am not here to claim Falun Gong is for everyone or it is the only true path. I am here as a practitioner, but i do use the understanding i gained from the practice to express in words here.

But if you or others hold different views then I do that is of course ok to me. 

No one holds truth in the spiritual sense, they hold an opinion. Once a person claims they know a spiritual truth, they have lost. Nothing is true, everything is permitted. 

If you can not use the understanding you've gained in a practical way, is it really worth it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No one holds truth in the spiritual sense, they hold an opinion. Once a person claims they know a spiritual truth, they have lost. Nothing is true, everything is permitted. 

If you can not use the understanding you've gained in a practical way, is it really worth it?

The practical way as you call it would be to use the truthfulness, compassion and forbearance, in everything I do as a practitioner, that is the practical part of being a spiritual person. To actually use the teaching as it was intended to. 

No spiritual teaching is about making other become like our self. it is about how we as individual people can raise our own morality, and become better in everything we do as a human being.

1 minute ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

No spiritual teaching is about making other become like our self.

Then why are you following someone else's model and becoming like them? 

it is about how we as individual people can raise our own morality, and become better in everything we do as a human being.

Why do you need a form of spirituality to do this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then why are you following someone else's model and becoming like them? 

Why do you need a form of spirituality to do this?

1: To have a teacher is needed to get the correct teaching the way it was supposed to be given, But it is I as a practitioner who have to do all the work to become better as a person, the teacher only give the info needed to realize the truth within the teaching.

2: Because mundane life with all its attachments does not lead toward realizing the spiritual truth, mundane life only focus on money, fame, good job, attachments to materalistic things and so on.

Just now, Cultivator of Fa said:

1: To have a teacher is needed to get the correct teaching the way it was supposed to be given, But it is I as a practitioner who have to do all the work to become better as a person, the teacher only give the info needed to realize the truth within the teaching.

2: Because mundane life with all its attachments does not lead toward realizing the spiritual truth, mundane life only focus on money, fame, good job, attachments to materalistic things and so on.

1) All teachings are an opinion. Truth is subjective.

2) Spiritual truth is subjective, not fact. You can not escape 'materialism' no matter how much you might try. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, XenoFish said:

1) All teachings are an opinion. Truth is subjective.

2) Spiritual truth is subjective, not fact. You can not escape 'materialism' no matter how much you might try. 

Spiritual understanding or wisdom comes from within when cultivating the mind and body, I speak of course only from my own experience in spiritual lifestyle.

Truth has many layers and the more one let go of attachments to this world the more the truth about the spiritual world opens up to us.

I can not escape using materalistic things in this world (it is a materalistic world) but to hold no attachments to any object is fully possible. so one does not call anything mine, or no need to say that belong to me. it is only an object that is in our possesion for the duration of this lifetime. and if it get stolen we do not hold attachments to it, so we would not miss it when it is gone.

4 minutes ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

Spiritual understanding or wisdom comes from within when cultivating the mind and body, I speak of course only from my own experience in spiritual lifestyle.

Truth has many layers and the more one let go of attachments to this world the more the truth about the spiritual world opens up to us.

I can not escape using materalistic things in this world (it is a materalistic world) but to hold no attachments to any object is fully possible. so one does not call anything mine, or no need to say that belong to me. it is only an object that is in our possesion for the duration of this lifetime. and if it get stolen we do not hold attachments to it, so we would not miss it when it is gone.

Understanding and wisdom are developed through experience and the pursuit of knowledge. To cultivate the mind is to learn, the cultivate the body it to take care of one's health. Spirituality doesn't need to be a part of this. Truth has no layers, it is what it is. Going by what you've wrote then a nihilist is the most spiritual developed person on earth.To the point where believe nothing is the only "truth". Everything else would be a distraction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Understanding and wisdom are developed through experience and the pursuit of knowledge. To cultivate the mind is to learn, the cultivate the body it to take care of one's health. Spirituality doesn't need to be a part of this. Truth has no layers, it is what it is. Going by what you've wrote then a nihilist is the most spiritual developed person on earth.To the point where believe nothing is the only "truth". Everything else would be a distraction. 

For most serious spiritual people the "goal" is to release one self from the boundaries of the physical world. But to do that one must undo all the wrong doing we done in the past in the way that we understand what was wrong and why it made us suffer. when we realize this and stop doing immoral and only follow the law of the unverse, explained in Falun Gong as Truthfulness, compassion and forbearance, then we have realized the truth that is needed to let go of this physical realm we are in now.

I know that this is not something many people think of or maybe not even know about. but in my experience, this comes from peoples lack of understanding of how spiritual life actually is meant to be lived.

it is an 24/7 task that we constantly need to have focus on.

13 minutes ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

For most serious spiritual people the "goal" is to release one self from the boundaries of the physical world. But to do that one must undo all the wrong doing we done in the past in the way that we understand what was wrong and why it made us suffer. when we realize this and stop doing immoral and only follow the law of the unverse, explained in Falun Gong as Truthfulness, compassion and forbearance, then we have realized the truth that is needed to let go of this physical realm we are in now.

I know that this is not something many people think of or maybe not even know about. but in my experience, this comes from peoples lack of understanding of how spiritual life actually is meant to be lived.

it is an 24/7 task that we constantly need to have focus on.

So there is no other truth than your truth. How boring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

So there is no other truth than your truth. How boring.

That is not what i said :) 

As i did say, truth comes in layers, it is only our inner wisdom that show us how we understand truth. It look like you see the physical world as the only true way, whereas for me the spiritual world is the "true" world. I did also earlier say i do not hold the full truth yet.

19 minutes ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

when we realize this and stop doing immoral and only follow the law of the unverse, explained in Falun Gong as Truthfulness, compassion and forbearance, then we have realized the truth that is needed to let go of this physical realm we are in now.

2 minutes ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

That is not what i said :)

Yeah, pretty much did. So you're here to more or less preach. Must be an unwritten rule for the spiritual sort to do that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah, pretty much did. So you're here to more or less preach. Must be an unwritten rule for the spiritual sort to do that.

I was again only speaking of how a practitioner of Falun Gong do it, it was not meant as preacing only an explenation.

I do not speak of other paths then the one i cultivate my self. So others may see truth differently then i do.

2 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

I have noticed in many forums people quote a tiny verse or some lines from a spiritual teaching, and then judge all the teaching upon this quote.

My question is as follow. How do you think that quoting a tiny section of a spiritual teaching can justify the massive critique that some people base a few lines upon?

Do people struggle to understand that a certain spiritual teaching are meant only for those who actually follow the teaching, and not for those who do not follow it or reject it?

To gain the wisdom from a spiritual teaching and actually understand its meaning and purpose, people have to practice it every day. only then do the inner wisdom arise.

Some oft quoted verses sound lovely until you put them into context.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

Some oft quoted verses sound lovely until you put them into context.

In my understanding it is important to see the full teaching, and not just parts of it, But spiritual teachings does speak of what is good moral and what is bad moral, and i think many react on those things, because sometimes what is seen as good morality is different then what people like to hear or follow.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

A body is washed up on a Norfolk beach

He was a friend that I could not reach

He thought I was cold but I understand

But for the grace of God goes another
man

And I may just waste away from doing nothing

But you're a martyr for even less

https://youtu.be/3NrhKM3G8Mg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I mean, why do you even care?  You’re a materialist so you don’t believe in spirit, and the death of the body is all there is in your view.  People who value spiritual teachings value them for the benefit of themselves, and others, and that of society at large.  The highest good of spiritual teaching is that of love.  Not Eros love, but the kind of love that considers others.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

Sometimes spiritual teachings are so succinct that they can be summed in one verse.  For example, from the Bible there is a verse that states “God is love.”  I like that teaching.

Heres the problem I have with it.....it is a teaching from the Buddha that I consider equally true.  It states that life is suffering.

So, let’s say both are true.  God is love and life is suffering.  With nothing else to go on, I can’t reconcile these truths.  Therefore, I must seek for more “truth” to explain these teachings if they are to benefit me.

• Like 1