Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did you become so sceptical to religion?

Cultivator of Fa

5 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

I dont say it is wrong to be sceprical, but i wonder what was the reason you become so sceptical to religious/spiritual teaching?

Have you read the different scriptures from all the religions/spiritual paths you have become so sceptical toward? If you have read them, did you spend much time to study why it say what it says? have you used much time to think of how the texts can be used to benefit someones life?

I’m glad you are saying it’s not wrong to not be skeptical, though I am a bit curious as to why you ask. 

Anyhow, I grew up in a secular setting. My parents chose to not practice religion at all. I do believe my father was an Atheist at the time of his death. (Though, both my parents were raised in the Protestant religions) So, growing up, there was no going to religious meetings and no reading from a religious book of orthodox nature. I grew up with being taught things at public schools. So, my basis for how I look at life, is not filled with orthodox beliefs and wordings. If I am indeed skeptical to beliefs, it’s more to orthodox one’s. When there have been outside influences from my family, of orthodox beliefs, it is usually looked upon as something that cannot be believed in because there is no repeating it again in our eyes. (If that makes sense) 

Now, yes, I have not read the Bible, or the Torah, or the Koran, but if there are books and writings that have inspired me or I read, there have been plenty of New Age books I have read. (Being a bookseller for close to 20 years have exposed me to them) And as for my outlook on to the New Age books, I don’t even have 100% belief in them as well. I read them with a first bit of curiosity and then I reflect on them. The big thing here is, being a bit of a Bohemian New Ager, I have my own unique belief system. And one of them is, not to depend whole heartily to material things, like books. (Yes, I know, I was a bookseller for 20 years, weird!) Anyhow, it’s my own belief system that has inspired me to feel this way. 

That is not to say, I don’t have a quizzical eye for various things, including orthodox stuff. I feel, they do have their place within the varying paths of everyone. I just don’t feel it’s something for me. If I boil down to how I am with the varying one’s, I just don’t feel the wordings are 100% surety. With all the religious books I have sold and handled, I feel they may have things written and how they got there maybe debated, but in the end, time changes things, but the books stay the same. Plus, do you even realize how many different versions and editions of bibles, Torah’s, Korans, etc, there are? I often consider it a way of being skeptical to it, by thinking which one is the correct one. 

In the end here, I will say for the record, since I haven’t read the orthodox stuff, I’m not really an expert in saying how they are. I will say though, my belief system along with how I was raised, makes me feel, they don’t belong in my path. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:
4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Many of us have many personal reasons, however, only one matters. We have better answers. 

I honestly only think you could ask that if you have not done the same with books of science and history. As far as I can see, there's nothing at all to support the existence of a God. There is however overwhelming evidence supporting a natural universe.

Have you considered the cannonballs and sword blades that carried the Lord's name for more gain?

Yes, and they do. I think there's a bigger picture that is disadvantaged by this band aid remedy.

Science does not interest me at all, those things only explain the physical realm of human beings, Science can not explain anything within spiritual realm since it can not be measured with their equitments. Science in my view can only explain 1% of everything that is existance. But its ok if people disagree with me, i only speak for my own understanding.

True, or I feel that it’s true. The way I see things, What might be first considered spiritual, can probably be explained away as something else through science. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

Have you guys even thought about that those things you mention as negativity about religion is actually humans who added on a later time? the people you speak of is leaders from example Rome who added many things to the Abrahamic religions to gain upper hand on people, and not a part of the original teachings.

If we look at religions in general all they do teach is about how to become better.

10 commandments in the bible

8 fold path and 4 noble truths in Buddhism to mention some. if we look at them they are more or less saying the same thing. How to become better moral people.

The biggest problem i see in the world today is people lack morality and have a huge ego. Religion is truly about how to remove bad moral and how to end the ego.

Not in my experience. I have seen plenty of religious people, people in orthodox religions, have the biggest egos. I have seen known Atheists show humility and humbleness. Even in my own belief system, I have come to know through life experiences, it’s more the person than the religion. I do feel that the path does help some, but I also have seen it being used negatively to further bad behavior. I think, there are too many variables that contaminate every religious path. And I feel that, because I feel that every belief, including my own, cannot  be proven objectively to ward off the contamination. 

• Like 5

what was the reason you become so sceptical to religious/spiritual teaching?

Because we should be past that, at this stage in our history. We have no excuse to keep believing. Everything that was once a mystery, has been solved. No god required.
It's like we're currently in a transition where we ride two horses. On one hand we trust end enjoy the benefits of science, but we haven't fully snapped out of the invisible friend/judge fantasy yet.
Some people even believe in invisible monsters, called Satan and the demons. It's nuts!

I think that every single person on Earth wants the truth, so it puzzles me that they haven't fully checked out science yet. It's like they halted, the moment they were satisfied, with their own homemade mixture of spirituality and science, and declared that 'the truth', but without fully wanting to understand the latter. They are fooling themselves deliberately. They have chosen to live a lie, because it comforts them. And by doing that, they are disqualified from using the word 'truth', in my opinion.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

I dont say it is wrong to be sceprical, but i wonder what was the reason you become so sceptical to religious/spiritual teaching?

Have you read the different scriptures from all the religions/spiritual paths you have become so sceptical toward? If you have read them, did you spend much time to study why it say what it says? have you used much time to think of how the texts can be used to benefit someones life?

Cognitive Dissonance.  Reality and religious doctrine do not match.  I have studied the documents of the religion I was raised with and found it to be a confusing hodgepodge of misinterpreted and made up historical writings.  I have not studied any other religion as there is no need since I navigate being human on planet earth as well as I am able with no need for help from any deity.

• Like 8

Have you guys even thought about that those things you mention as negativity about religion is actually humans who added on a later time? the people you speak of is leaders from example Rome who added many things to the Abrahamic religions to gain upper hand on people, and not a part of the original teachings.

When you remove all that humans have added or changed or made up to enhance their religion you find nothing real left.  Of course that is what we have done, removed what is obviously added by humans, then gone through and found that there is nothing left of any religious doctrine that we have studied.  You are denigrating atheists by assuming, first that a person is an atheist when they don't follow a religion and feel put upon when they are chastised for that, and second by assuming that they have Not studied "like you have".  People get accused of being atheist by any religious zealot who wants to be superior because they follow a religion.  I have seen more of those than I have seen so called atheists chastising the religious.  If you can't accept our answers don't ask the questions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Bible verses like:

Genesis 2:16-17  And the LORD God commanded him, “You may eat freely from every tree of the garden,  but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; for in the day that you eat of it, you will surely die.”

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Matthew 5:39 But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also.

Revelation 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone.

Some more:

Exodus 6:20 Amram took as his wife Jochebed his father’s sister, and she bore him Aaron and Moses, the years of the life of Amram being 137 years. ( Inbreeding is the production of offspring from the mating or breeding of individuals or organisms that are closely related genetically).

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. (Moses or Moshe, is male given name, after the biblical figure Moses. According to the Torah, the name "Moses" comes from the Hebrew verb, meaning "To pull out / draw out "of water).

7 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

Because it is unsupported, egotistical, unsubstantiated and unprovable bushwa.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Are they completely aware of their actions though?

yes, yes they are. They drank the kool-aid (whatever flavour or denomination) and want others to do so, in order to validate their position. 

"I believe in Sto-vo-kor, and if others have different beliefs, that might mean I was in error! I can't allow this, because my belief makes me feel special!"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

yes, yes they are. They drank the kool-aid (whatever flavour or denomination) and want others to do so, in order to validate their position. 

"I believe in Sto-vo-kor, and if others have different beliefs, that might mean I was in error! I can't allow this, because my belief makes me feel special!"

That’s an insult to Fek’lhr. :w00t:

cormac

• Haha 6

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

That’s an insult to Fek’lhr. :w00t:

cormac

Toothless Grish'nar cat!  :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Hab SoSlI’ Quch! 

(Your mother has a smooth forehead)  :lol:

cormac

• Haha 5

religion is illogical.  gods are illogical.  the romans and greeks feared their gods, and would die and kill for them.  now they are mere entertainment for high school students.  when you finally face the fact your parents, unknowingly passed along the great CON, it's like walking out of a cave.

Edited by micahc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:
12 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Hab SoSlI’ Quch! 

nice mu'qaD. QaQ jajvam loy jIH

LOL, Nice doesn’t translate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Hab SoSlI’ Quch! 

cormac

SoS SuvwI' quv, p'tach!

:D

Who knew that Google translate spoke Klin'zai?

• Haha 2

Have you tried to cultivate the teaching so you know? or did you not experience anything so you explain it with "it does not exist"?

What are the tenets of Falung Gong?  The '10 commandments", so to speak?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cultivator of Fa said:

Science does not interest me at all, those things only explain the physical realm of human beings, Science can not explain anything within spiritual realm since it can not be measured with their equitments. Science in my view can only explain 1% of everything that is existance. But its ok if people disagree with me, i only speak for my own understanding.

Well I am thankful some people are interested in science lol.

I have seen work from scientist help crippled people walk, cure lepordsey, help people see and hear.

I have yet to see a God do that.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

SoS SuvwI' quv, p'tach!

:D

Who knew that Google translate spoke Klin'zai?

:lol:

You get extra points for knowing the term Klin’zai. Most don’t. 

cormac

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Why do so many unbelievers have this compulsive need to affirm their unbelief, over and over and over again? Why do they find fresh opportunities so irresistible? For some here, it's second only to availing themselves of yet another opportunity to dogpile on Walker.

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Why do so many unbelievers have this compulsive need to affirm their unbelief, over and over and over again? Why do they find fresh opportunities so irresistible? For some here, it's second only to availing themselves of yet another opportunity to dogpile on Walker.

Why do so many believers wish to indoctrinate non-believers? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I consider it a defense and only post my opinion when some one has decided to go on the offensive with their religion or pseudo religion.  And Walker doesn't even have a coherent example, just random stuff that he thinks justifies himself.  He leaves himself wide open for that dogpile.   The compulsion from my perspective is the zealots insisting they know things they don't know and that any one who disagrees with them is wrong. 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 9

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked