Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did you become so sceptical to religion?

Cultivator of Fa

23 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I find this very interesting, but we don’t build walls (by our own hands) for nothing. 

The results are the same, irrespective of reasons i.e. confinement, isolation, insulation, separation, by our own free will.

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:
2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I find this very interesting, but we don’t build walls (by our own hands) for nothing. 

The results are the same, irrespective of reasons i.e. confinement, isolation, insulation, separation, by our own free will.

I don’t know if I am getting confused by this, but how is this isolation ( by are own hands) ties into nonbelievers feeling angry by multiple experiences from some believers’s behaviors?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I don’t know if I am getting confused by this, but how is this isolation ( by are own hands) ties into nonbelievers feeling angry by multiple experiences from some believers’s behaviors?

It isn't. It's about self-imposed limitations, restrictions and discriminations. Sometimes things we do, with the best of intentions, have unforeseen consequences. 

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:
2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

It isn't. It's about self-imposed limitations, restrictions and discriminations. Sometimes things we do, with the best of intentions, have unforeseen consequences. 

Well, I’m sorry Hammie, but I don’t think this is close to my point of those who have been affected by some religious individuals behaviors. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well, I’m sorry Hammie, but I don’t think this is close to my point of those who have been affected by some religious individuals behaviors. 

I call that negative religious indoctrination. It's a problem, especially when with one broad stroke one paints all religious people with the same tainted brush. It's much the same as when theists brand all atheists, communists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 5:13 AM, XenoFish said:

False promises, lack of claimed results, putting god/s/ess to the test and getting no results. Evangelical liars who preach a good game, but are hypocrites. Realizing that all religions are a purely human construct and god/s/ess's are just an idea.

It's all made up, fabricated lies meant to control people and lock them into a cult of ego.

Because religion does one thing well, it inflates the ego desire of self importance.

Along with cultish brutes who would rather break a person because they are "born sinners". 

Just because religions are wrong, doesn't mean that there is no God. God doesn't believe in religions, they come from man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diny said:

Just because religions are wrong, doesn't mean that there is no God. God doesn't believe in religions, they come from man.

So you believe in god, but think anybody who follows a religion is wrong? If not, which religion/s is right?

How do you know what god does or doesn't believe in?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, diny said:

God is an idea created by mankind. A conceptual entity. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, diny said:

Where do you think the god idea cones from?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, diny said:

What do you think "God" is?  I agree that religions have nothing to do with any deity, and I have a problem trying to imagine how a deity would exist.  Consciousness, yes, deity, no.  That's why I ask.

• Like 1

God started as the wind and rain, fire and earth. Became a hunter spirit, a spirit of life and death, etc. A god of war and blood, as cultures evolved so did their gods and their gods reflected the culture.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 11:28 AM, diny said:

So does God.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, diny said:

Then why did all these "Gods" give mankind different religions. Unless all the Gods of Man are just ideas and we fabricated our belief systems around them. Meaning that there really isn't an anthropomorphic god. Maybe not a god at all, at least within the human understanding of such a thing. This makes all religions wrong, all afterlife concepts wrong, spirituality is just a way of soothing the ego. It's all fake.

Just to add, how do you know what god thinks and believes? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have never followed a religion and have never believed in one so I do not feel I became sceptical.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hippocrates, being shunned because of the questions I asked, being told that I was wrong because I maintained contact with family member who were no longer part of the congregation, having to accept that god simply allows atrocities to be committed in his/her/its name, It took a while but eventually I walked away from my faith, oddly it felt right as though a burden had been taken from me. I rely on my moral compass to guide me, I have a good understanding of right & wrong and I treat others with respect and dignity. My conscience works just as well as it did when I was at my strongest in my faith. If I'm wrong then so be it, I would never tell someone who has a faith that they are wrong and yet  I have had some very unpleasant things said to me by people with faith in respect of my non belief. 

• Like 6

On 4/20/2020 at 11:30 PM, sci-nerd said:

Because we should be past that, at this stage in our history. We have no excuse to keep believing. Everything that was once a mystery, has been solved. No god required.
It's like we're currently in a transition where we ride two horses. On one hand we trust end enjoy the benefits of science, but we haven't fully snapped out of the invisible friend/judge fantasy yet.
Some people even believe in invisible monsters, called Satan and the demons. It's nuts!

I think that every single person on Earth wants the truth, so it puzzles me that they haven't fully checked out science yet. It's like they halted, the moment they were satisfied, with their own homemade mixture of spirituality and science, and declared that 'the truth', but without fully wanting to understand the latter. They are fooling themselves deliberately. They have chosen to live a lie, because it comforts them. And by doing that, they are disqualified from using the word 'truth', in my opinion.

First you have to be able to prove that all those beliefs are lies 

second you need to show that as psychological constructs they have not evolved to support and strengthen humanity  ie they dont need to be true to do powerful good

Third science and materialism does not provide all the answers or needs of humans 

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs | Simply Psychology

https://www.google.com/search?q=hierarchy+of+human+needs+by+abraham+maslow&rlz=1C1KAFA_enAU554AU554&sxsrf=ALeKk031M-6wVRkPPJ6c8XcN2QFOqbFQpA:1592118628625&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=4Z_G407JbSQFkM%3A%2CQfRGk3IYD817sM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR69VlGGXeSQkUkyjhstZg-lkh_Qg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjl7KK4IDqAhVXcCsKHd0WAgkQ_h0wAHoECAQQBA&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=4Z_G407JbSQFkM:

Note that the 3 highest ranked needs of a human being are not physical but emotional /cognitive

Material needs must be met for basic survival,  but as self aware  beings we must meet the higher order needs in order for happiness security and psychological well being 

Philosophy, psychology, and theology, all contribute to meeting  these higher order human needs, which have evolved because we are self aware 

On 4/21/2020 at 1:43 AM, micahc said:

religion is illogical.  gods are illogical.  the romans and greeks feared their gods, and would die and kill for them.  now they are mere entertainment for high school students.  when you finally face the fact your parents, unknowingly passed along the great CON, it's like walking out of a cave.

Modern science is showing how and why religions evolved, both to strengthen individaul survival chances and to enable cooperative endeavours in humans.

We know from science  that positive /constructive  faith and belief increase longevity, improve physical and mental health and provide much empowerment to humans. 

Thus whether a positive belief is true or false it is illogical NOT to adopt one to improve your life. 

It is not about the truth of the belief, but about the effects of such beliefs on human well being, both as individuals and as a species .

On 4/21/2020 at 3:33 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Why do so many unbelievers have this compulsive need to affirm their unbelief, over and over and over again? Why do they find fresh opportunities so irresistible? For some here, it's second only to availing themselves of yet another opportunity to dogpile on Walker.

Because both belief and disbelief form the cornerstone of many people's self image /identity, and their  world view /values ethics etc.  

The y HAVE to believe the y are right, in order to maintain their identity, world view, and comfort.

Questions trouble both ardent believers and nonbelievers.

Neither has room for doubt.  

Neither can allow the other even the slightest  degree of tolerance. 

On 4/21/2020 at 3:37 AM, Desertrat56 said:

I consider it a defense and only post my opinion when some one has decided to go on the offensive with their religion or pseudo religion.  And Walker doesn't even have a coherent example, just random stuff that he thinks justifies himself.  He leaves himself wide open for that dogpile.   The compulsion from my perspective is the zealots insisting they know things they don't know and that any one who disagrees with them is wrong. 

I dont have a religion or religious beliefs I have ethics and morality based on humanism and adapted to cope withe intervention of a real and powerful "god" in my life. 

I have always said tha t every individual should have their own internalised beliefs, and connection /relationship with their god or gods 

There is no one religion or belief which suits/fits all.

Each individual must find one that fits them best,or choose none at all

it is not incoherent. It is a very coherent identity of self  but just a bit unusual

My experiences justify me but they cant be applied to everyone else.

My god would not suit everyone,  just as my wife would not suit everyone, although she is perfect for me  :) 

Some scientific facts about faith and belief can be applied to all humans, because they are a product of human evolution,   but that is science, not religion 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I dont have a religion or religious beliefs I have ethics and morality based on humanism and adapted to cope wihet intervention of a real and powerful "god" in my life. 

I have always said tha t every individual should have their own internalised beliefs, and connection /relationship with their god or gods 

There is no one religion or belief which suits/fits all.

Each individual must find one that fits them best,or choose none at all

it is not incoherent. It is a very coherent identity of self  but just a bit unusual

My experiences justify me but they cant be applied to everyone else.

My god would not suit everyone,  just as my wife would not suit everyone, although she is perfect for me  :) 

Some scientific facts about faith and belief can be applied to all humans, because they are a product of human evolution,   but that is science, not religion 

Actually, that is the most coherent you have expressed yourself.  You should practice using fewer words more often.

In what way do you experience 'the intervention of a real and powerful "god"' in your life that you consider proof for yourself that it is real?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Actually, that is the most coherent you have expressed yourself.  You should practice using fewer words more often.

In what way do you experience 'the intervention of a real and powerful "god"' in your life that you consider proof for yourself that it is real?

I've posted many thousands of words on this topic

At this point i can only say that my  "connection to "god" " is the same as my connection to my wife and my dogs 

Ie They (wife, dogs and god ) and I are all real,  physical, independent beings.

We can interact physically with each other .

They  interact with the physical world as they pass through it 

The y can be seen, heard, and touched, by others  ie the y don't just exist inside my mind, although with all of them they are also mental perceptions and constructs 

This "god " has physically saved my life many times, and has physically saved the life of my wife several times 

It teaches /educates and imparts counselling,  knowledge, and wisdom .   

It transfers skills and abilities.

It gives  you greater control over your mind and body, to allow you  to maximise your abilities and potentials   (Empowerment )

It expresses love, care, concern and friendship. 

21 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The y HAVE to believe the y are right, in order to maintain their identity, world view, and comfort.

Hi Walker

Thanks for putting it out there like that, good job.:tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I dont have a religion or religious beliefs I have ethics and morality based on humanism and adapted to cope withe intervention of a real and powerful "god" in my life

Hi Walker

If you have a god you have a religion even if your the only pocket in the pews.

jmccr8

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Thanks for putting it out there like that, good job.:tu:

Goes for many believers and disbelievers.

Not me of course. I don't do belief or disbelief :) 

• The topic was locked