Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents name babies 'Sanitizer' and 'Lockdown

UM-Bot

There are sometimes very good grounds for parents to have their children taken away from them. 

• Like 2

Forced steralization should be legal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Forced steralization should be legal 

Agree, but bit late now for these parents. Maybe for next time, incase they are contemplating 'facemask' or 'ventilator' for their next breed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Poor kids.
I wish their parents would realize this isn't like naming a character in a video game, or a joke screen name on social media.

When they grow up, these kids will have to pay money and wade through the legal system to change their names to something decent.

Edited by Seti42

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

There are sometimes very good grounds for parents to have their children taken away from them. 

I really think people should be forced to undergo extensive parenting training and psychological screening before they are even allowed to procreate.
Like sterilize everyone and whoever passes the test has their fertility restored temporarily.
For each child they have to undergo the training again, which then also includes monitoring the development of any already existing kids.

Yeah might sound a bit Orvellian, but consider that in many places these days you have to pass an exam to be allowed to own a dog but you can have as many children (humans!) as you want no matter how screwed up you are?

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I really think people should be forced to undergo extensive parenting training and psychological screening before they are even allowed to procreate.
Like sterilize everyone and whoever passes the test has their fertility restored temporarily.
For each child they have to undergo the training again, which then also includes monitoring the development of any already existing kids.

Yeah might sound a bit Orvellian, but consider that in many places these days you have to pass an exam to be allowed to own a dog but you can have as many children (humans!) as you want no matter how screwed up you are?

There are sci fi stories written on that permise, including a really poorly written one that was made in to a movie called Enders Game.

• Thanks 1

Are these people for real? Sounds like an LA way of thinking.

Parenting, one of the few things left in the world that you don't need a license for. 

• Like 1

I spent months choosing names for my kids so they wouldn't be picked on."Gaylord" and "Typhoid Mary" are very happy I did. :)

Edited by openozy
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, openozy said:

I spent months choosing names for my kids so they wouldn't be picked on."Gaylord" and "Typhoid Mary" are very happy I did. :)

My mother made my name up and the way she spelled it always gave me either an advantage, because on paper I was expected to be male and got into a lot of programs that were closed to girls (stupid 60's & 70's); or a disadvantage because everyone was sure that they got my name backwards so called me by my last name or mispronounced and misspelled my first name often.  Needless to say my kids got common names, though not intentionally that the year my oldest daughter was born the name I chose for her was the number one name of girls born in 1979 in the U.S.  And the same thing happened to my younger daughter, who went to school with a gaggle of girls with her name, some even had the same middle name.  So, there is a fine line to walk when choosing a name for your child.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 1:56 AM, UM-Bot said:

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic seems to have produced some rather unusual baby names.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/336470/parents-name-babies-sanitizer-and-lockdown

Forget the pandemic. I meet one lovely American lady well into her thirties that was called Rabbit. Whats wrong with you people ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Forget the pandemic. I meet one lovely American lady well into her thirties that was called Rabbit. Whats wrong with you people ?

I know a 50 something year old woman named Bambi.  I always wanted to ask her what her mother was thinking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I know a 50 something year old woman named Bambi.  I always wanted to ask her what her mother was thinking.

What about some of those names that Black Americans choose ? aren't exactly normal either. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

What about some of those names that Black Americans choose ? aren't exactly normal either. 

Or a drug addict I know who named her son DeShawn (not black, she just liked the name).  I don't think it has to do with what color your skin is, my mother was white and she made up my name in the 50's. 

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Or a drug addict I know who named her son DeShawn (not black, she just liked the name).  I don't think it has to do with what color your skin is, my mother was white and she made up my name in the 50's. 

Nah I'm just having a laugh at the names people choose and not the colour of their skin.