Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Nirvana person usefull to society?

Mello_

Lets say your friend, wife is Budhist. And he reaches Nirvana. Is person who reached Nirvana usefull to society? He/She doesnt need anything. No motivations. Sitting under tree. Would world look like Tibet?

Edited by Mello_
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tuco's Gas said:

So....in Buddhist lore,  a person can attain Nirvana, which is an eternal state of bliss and Oneness, and a release from the cycle of Samsara, but refuse it by choosing to remain in the Earthly cycles of Samsara and help others attain their own Nirvana. A person who does this is known as a a Bodhisatsva. (sp?)

Can always become Foo Fighter, if Nirvana fails.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

So....in Buddhist lore,  a person can attain Nirvana--which is an eternal state of bliss and Oneness and a release from the cycle of Samsara--but refuse it, and instead remain in the Earthly cycles of Samsara in order to help others attain their own Nirvana. A person who does this is known as a a Bodhisatsva. (sp?)

So is he usefull to society?

22 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

Lets say your friend, wife is Budhist. And he reaches Nirvana. Is person who reached Nirvana usefull to society? He/She doesnt need anything. No motivations. Sitting under tree. Would world look like Tibet?

I think if someone reached nirvana but continued to inhabit their body on earth sitting under a tree would not be what they would be doing, they would be a bohdisatva, helping others to reach nirvana.  There would be no reason for someone to sit under a tree in eternal bliss unless that tree were in nirvana, which is not on planet earth.

Ok so we will have Hordes of Nirvana dudes. Like advanced Tibet. In that process of reaching Nirvana they would sit under tree. And do nothing.

9 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

Ok so we will have Hordes of Nirvana dudes. Like advanced Tibet. In that process of reaching Nirvana they would sit under tree. And do nothing.

No, by definition they would leave their body on earth to reach nirvana, if they choose to stay they will not be sitting under a tree, they will be out and about helping others learn to reach nirvana.

So. Maybe I need to reformulate my question.

Does person who wants to reach Nirvana can be useful to society? Also person who already reached Nirvana, beside helping others Tibet looking dudes, is that person usefull to society?

Btw thank you for being strict for details.

Edited by Mello_
  • Like 1

Just now, Tuco's Gas said:

But be careful not to get caught in a Pearl Jam on your way to Nirvana.

Why? I heard it has an Even Flow

Just now, Mello_ said:

So. Maybe I need to reformulate my question.

Does person who wants to reach Nirvana can be useful to society? Also person who reched Nirvana beside helping others Tibet looking dudes is usefull to society?

Btw thank you for being strict for details.

I think it is not useful to society to spend time trying to or learning to reach nirvana.  That is my opinion as I believe we all get there anyway, it is not a useful pastime and until you realize that you are stuck in a weird cycle of doing nothing useful for yourself or others.  There are lot of distorted ways that can play out. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

So is he usefull to society?

There is a story about a Chinese abbot nearing the end of his life.  He was acknowledged to be enlightened.  His monks were pressing him to name a successor.  After consideration, he proclaimed that the cook was in fact enlightened and would be the next abbot.

The monks were puzzled that none of the senior monks had been appointed and asked the cook what he did to achieve enlightenment.

"Chop wood and haul water." the cook said.

"And what will you do now that you are enlightened?" they asked.

"Chop wood and haul water," the cook said.

Short answer to your question is Yes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

Also person who already reached Nirvana, beside helping others Tibet looking dudes, is that person usefull to society?

Only as fertilizer, since they're dead.

Harte

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mello_ said:

My thought is that an entity that reached Nirvana can still live in the world motivated by compassion.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

My thought is that an entity that reached Nirvana can still live in the world motivated by compassion.

Yes but compassion needs that other person suffering or need something. If other dude is also Nirvana there is no compassion. They are like plants. Like trees. Like hard core Tibet.

Just now, Mello_ said:

Yes but compassion needs that other person suffering or need something. If other dude is also Nirvana there is no compassion. They are like plants. Like trees. Like hard core Tibet.

Wait a minute. You didn't say everyone's reached Nirvana in your OP question.

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Wait a minute. You didn't say everyone's reached Nirvana in your OP question.

True. So I guess what you saying is that only one of ten person could reach Nirvana so we have functional society?

Model of Nirvana must be operational on all peeps. Or its unfair.

Edited by Mello_

4 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

True. So I guess what you saying is that only one of ten person could reach Nirvana so we have functional society?

Model of Nirvana must be operational on all peeps. Or its unfair.

Nirvana is strived for over many lives and forms. Not everyone reaches Nirvana at the same time.

Yes but would you like that your husband stream to Nirvana? To sit all day?

How person who stream to Nirvana could be usefull?

Arent they lazy? Seems to me that Nirvana its just excuse for laziness.

Useless

B9719155603Z.1_20190405144504_000+GRADB4J6F.1-0.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

Well that explains all.:lol:

Sorry, the question you posed reminds me of the famous koan question about the dog having Buddha nature, the answer to which is mu (a negative term in Japanese). which seems to contradict Buddhist tenets about sentient beings, but is a fundamental of Zen Buddhism.

The proposition that an enlightened being ls a useful tool for society's benefit, or that Bodhisaatva's compassion is a useful social function, albeit altruistic, drags the notion of 'enlightened being',full of 'compassion' into the,world of ego, conflict, stratification, subjective purpose, and linear thinking.  So I think mu is a good answer to your question. With all due respect of course.   :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuco's Gas said:

But be careful not to get caught in a Pearl Jam on your way to Nirvana.

If that happens you can ask Marilyn Manson for some Nine Inch Nails. That'll fix the problem.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A perpetual state of bliss? Every stoner ever. 

Ha ha ha ha ha, yep. :P