Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump shoots down all immigration with EO

and-then

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

So we don't want to protect the people that are already here or for that matter people that may have come over because it may also serve as "window dressing" during an election season?

I'm, not sure what your point is listing all the various jobs that are done by both immigrants and citizens.  Those people are all here, this measure is to prevent the unknown from coming in.  We don't even have enough resources to test the people here how would we verify we didn't just let in more infected people?  What's our priority?  Containing the disease and limiting the spread of infection.  That's precisely what this aids in.  Not everything is automatically bad because trump.

I guess doctors were the main point of that listing. Before I looked, I did not know that about a quarter of our doctors are legal immigrants. Small rural hospitals depend on them.  But after reading the EO, I see there is an exception for medical personnel, so if they are brave enough, they can still come. But with many of the borders and airports closed in the world, not very many people can travel even if they want to do so.

There is also an exception for temporary labor visas, H2-A , farm workers in other words.    We are going to stop immigration until every American that wants a job has a job?  More bluster..   We seem to have 22 million unemployed Americans  who are not qualified to be farm workers or doctors.

This will not address increasing control on borders or reduction of illegal entry. This is not going to do much to convince American citizens to keep social distance or wear masks or stay at home,  so it is not likely to have an effect on health.  Just window dressing.

42 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

This will not address increasing control on borders or reduction of illegal entry. This is not going to do much to convince American citizens to keep social distance or wear masks or stay at home,  so it is not likely to have an effect on health.  Just window dressing.

Pretty sure the reason is as stated. We have a deadly disease running rampant, do what you can to slow the spread. Doesn’t seem too far out to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

So forever?

On a side note- pity no one remembers the olden days where we called people who immigrated here legally, "Americans" after they finished the process.

we still do that,  you are the only one who doesn't remember. and doesn't do so

Edited by aztek

I guess the whole discussion became rather moot. It definitely isn't about Americans getting jobs:

"But the order will still allow the government to continue processing visas for hundreds of thousands of temporary employees, including farm workers, landscapers and crab pickers — the largest source of immigration.

The order is also expected to carve out additional exemptions for so-called essential employees, including health care workers, and immigrants who come into the United States through immediate family members, according to a person familiar with the situation."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/21/trump-immigration-green-card-coronavirus-198498

It's just a 60 day pause on people getting Green Cards which is rather pointless because the majority of those people are already living in the United States. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, aztek said:

that is why, the virus isn't the only problem we are having right now

It's also a straight up lie that he said the virus was nothing to worry about all alone.  ALL the media and state governors were saying the same thing.  Screw the haters, full speed ahead :w00t:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Pretty sure the reason is as stated. We have a deadly disease running rampant, do what you can to slow the spread. Doesn’t seem too far out to me.

Well that seems good to me.  I am just not sure that is the case. But we have spent enough time splitting hairs.  I feel like I am about to argue for the sake of argument, and that does neither of us any good.  

Just now, Tatetopa said:

Well that seems good to me.  I am just not sure that is the case. But we have spent enough time splitting hairs.  I feel like I am about to argue for the sake of argument, and that does neither of us any good.  

I have absolutely not looked into the details but on the surface it seems like common sense that letting people come here when they can’t even go near anyone in case they die seems a little counter intuitive 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I have absolutely not looked into the details but on the surface it seems like common sense that letting people come here when they can’t even go near anyone in case they die seems a little counter intuitive 

Yes it does.  Look at the exceptions though.  There are still going to be temporary workers coming in under H2-A visas.  It seems like a bold and logical statement that hides some weak policies.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And yet the virus is, according to El Trumpo, nothing to worry about, so why close the borders? 

I do believe that he was trying to head-off the panic, but quickly realized that people were losing it and dove headlong into mitigating the situation.  While everybody was losing their heads, Trump kept his.  As with the history of America, we are never ready for disaster and are always playing catchup (I.e. WWI, WWII, Space Race, 9/11, and now corona).  And Trump is making a difference.  You usually can’t expect much in the way of production to support the manpower in anything less than 6 months.  Trump is bringing that online in half the time.  But it looks like the worse is over.  I think it would be smart to prepare for the fall.  Will the governors take advantage to stock up?

• Like 1